PDA

View Full Version : Wg Cdr Dave Belfield

Wyler
23rd Jun 2006, 18:24
Wg Cdr Dave Belfield, a Fighter Controller stationed at Waddington, was killed yesterday in an RTA near his home.

Dave started off in the RAF as a potential Pilot but things did not work out. As was the norm in the early 80's, he was drop kicked into the FC Branch and proceeded to leave his mark wherever he went. A true character, he was one of the funniest individuals I have ever had the pleasure of serving with. The minute he walked in the room he would light the place up with his natural wit and antics. The heirachy loathed him, the troops, and his peers, loved him.
He had a heart of gold. On a det to Mt Olympus in Cyprus, he was there when the CO's son was killed in a car crash. Some 12 years later, at this mans Golden Wedding celebration, he said that he and his family would not have got through those dark days without the presence, strength, humour and compassion of Dave.
Dave was lucky enough to serve all over the world and he even managed to wangle an exchange with the US Marine Corps. He was over the moon, right up to the point when he was ambushed in Somalia and had to run for his life!

A good man, a great character and I, for one, will miss him dearly. God Bless. :ok:

Clive Gibson
RAF Boulmer

aka Wyler.

SirToppamHat
23rd Jun 2006, 19:31
I believe the old Ops Room at Neatishead (now the Museum) will forever echo the sounds of his catch phrase "Stand By!".

A sad and shocking loss. Thoughts with family. RIP.

DT
Scampton

Mystic Greg
23rd Jun 2006, 20:25
Tragic news indeed; Dave was certainly one of the RAF's characters.

Tombstone
23rd Jun 2006, 20:42
I knew Dave as a Flt Lt in my early years as an ASOp at Buchan before escaping onto IOT & beyond. Although it was many years ago, his name is etched in my memory as one of the very few good guys I worked for & I won't forget how much he stood up for the junior airmen in the face of some very pompus Sqn execs on more than one occasion.

Very tragic news, my thoughts are with his family & relatives during these dark hours.

RIP Sir.

Per Ardua.

SpotterFC
23rd Jun 2006, 20:52
I was told by my boss this afternoon - truly appalling news.

I have little to add to Wyler's fitting eulogy. He treated people as humans first and saw the uniform second - I never knew him to walk past my desk or pass in the corridor without him at least acknowledging my presence and normally asking how things were.

I for one will sadly miss him.

RIP Dave

Spotter
Waddington

oldfella
23rd Jun 2006, 21:50
Knew Dave in his pilot training days and also in his role in Somalia. We have lost a real character. A real Jack the Lad. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

gearontheglide
23rd Jun 2006, 21:51
Dave and I were out in Vegas recently. He spoke about how much he was looking forward to the future.

Tragically one of the good ones taken too early. RIP Dave

YellowBelly
24th Jun 2006, 08:52
Worked with Dave on several occasions, and particularly enjoyed his company while in the sandpit during Telic. He was a great character who always had the interests of the Service uppermost in his mind. My sincere condolences to his family.
RIP Dave.

Inspector Dreyfuss
24th Jun 2006, 10:13
Spot on Clive

RIP Dave

Silvercork
24th Jun 2006, 14:21
I knew Dave for quite a few years, he was one of those characters you always remember. I could never be sad or down when Dave was around - his energy,humour and zest of life knew no bounds. I for one will miss you old friend and I will raise a glass to you tonight.

RIP

Spotting Bad Guys
24th Jun 2006, 20:19
I was working closely with Dave in planning an upcoming ex. he struck me as an individual with a clear passion for life, something that proved infectious both in and out of the workplace.

Dave, I was looking forward to sharing a beer or two with you on the ex; I'll raise a glass when we're there.

RIP, my thoughts are with his partner and family.

SBG

Magic Mushroom
24th Jun 2006, 23:39
A great shock to loose such a character in such circumstances.
Deepest sympathies to his family.
RIP Dave.
MM:sad:

tailchase
25th Jun 2006, 12:10
A real character - I too first met him in a darkened Ops Room and he followed me to the Falklands soon after - Mt Kent. Bumped into him a short while ago just after he was promoted and he was still the life and soul of any group whether work or play.

In Tor Wot
25th Jun 2006, 21:46
Tremendous shock - only saw him and his daughters last week.

First met in a wooden shack on a hillside in Northumberland (SOC Boulmer) - helped me to get to Cranwell and I have been grateful ever since. Great shame that he has been lost to us in this way and an even greater shame for his family. Our thoughts are with them now.

Wyler
28th Jun 2006, 12:36
Dave's funeral will be held at 12.00pm on 4 Jul, at Mary Magdalene Church, Newark.
Signal with more details will be out today.

See you all there.

Clive Gibson

drspankle
28th Jun 2006, 20:06
I'm going to miss Dave. I have worked on and off with him since he returned from his US exchange, and I consider him a friend. He never judged, and always had a kind and encouraging word for you, something which I, especially recently, was extremely grateful for. Wherever he has gone, I'm sure the trumpets played when he arrived.

RIP mate.

funflier44
28th Jun 2006, 21:04
Thanks for the info Clive.

Hope to see you there.

GS

sonicstomp
29th Jun 2006, 17:59
Tragic - We have lost a real character....

RIP Dave....

Thoughts with family....

Wyler
4th Jul 2006, 17:49
It was Dave's funeral today in Newark. A service at St Mary's follwed by the burial at Newark Cemetery.

The RAF did him proud with a sterling job by all concerned. A great turnout and a very emotional time, especially at the actual burial. My hat off to Dave's sister who gave a tremendous eulogy and to Christopher, Dave's son, for his moving words.

RIP Dave, you will be missed but never forgotten.

Wyler.

RayDarr
10th Jul 2006, 14:44
Sorry to hear about the death of Dave. I spent a couple of months occupying the other end of an ISO container with him in 1985 on Mt Kent. Great times, and an absolute live wire. Sad that such a good bloke should be lost to his family and the service in this way.
Wyler, please pass on my regrets to his family.

akkagroves
12th Jul 2006, 10:34
Out of The RAF now & don't look at PPRUNE as often as I used to but stumbled upon this today. I first met Dave at Church Fenton circa 1981. A great character he imposed himself on the fresh faced new course as the PEdO and took all the students out for an early morning run! This was typical of his humour and sense of fun. We were on the same MEXO course at Finningly which saw the end of his piloting career. Subsequently worked with him in the falklands, the USA and most recently at MoD. Delighted he made Wg Cdr and delighted that our paths crossed on so many occasions he brought a shining light to many lives. Sorry I heard too late for the funeral/Celebration of His Life! deepest sympathies to those left behind.