View Full Version : Anybody got/had one of these..?

tinpis
23rd Jun 2006, 06:32
Driven one in the sixties loverly then but wonder what they may be like to have in the shed???

http://www.dream-car.ch/Beitraege/Morges_04/Morg_04_06.jpg

BombayDuck
23rd Jun 2006, 06:36
ooooh she's a beauty :ok: no, not the woman.... What is she?

acbus1
23rd Jun 2006, 06:38
Bit old for me.

Though she does look a bit like Felicity Kendal.

OK, I'd give her one (in the shed, if you insist) and report back.

airborne_artist
23rd Jun 2006, 06:40
I'm not sure a shed would be quite good enough as a home for a Daimler Dart. Here in UK a shed is where we keep inconsequential items like old flower pots, broken garden furniture and useful (but never to be used) lengths of wood.

tinpis
23rd Jun 2006, 06:51
The front bit....

http://homepage.mac.com/stevenbutterworth/Sites/Morges05/mediafiles/l96.jpg

acbus1
23rd Jun 2006, 06:59
Oh dear.

T'was OK till you showed us that. :yuk:

SyllogismCheck
23rd Jun 2006, 07:01
I know someone who runs one. One thing he's told me is that they suffer form quite serious differential problems. Usually the long-term fix is a conversion to a unit from a different vehicle as reconditioning or replacement of the original is fiercely expensive and some of the bits are scarce. Although a permanent remedy, the conversion isn't cheap in its own right. If you're seriously considering one it may be something to be aware of/factor in as a possible extra cost after purchase.
Other than the troubles he's had in that area, the chap I know seems to very much enjoy his, and it's a pretty car.

treadigraph
23rd Jun 2006, 07:07
I did a bit of labouring on a rebuild of one once - never did get my ride after it was finished...:( I believe a UK Police Force had several for a short while in the 60s - anyone know more?

tinpis
23rd Jun 2006, 07:08
Plod had them as well....

Compared to other contemporary British sports cars the SP250 looked quite outrageous with its tail fins and wide front grille. Power came from a powerful 2.5 litre V8 which gave the car a top speed of 120mph, the Police were quick to spot the cars potential for use as a high speed traffic car and many saw service in this role.

tinpis
23rd Jun 2006, 07:14
OOOOOooooo....the cockpit...

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/images/large/2404-5.jpg

Loose rivets
23rd Jun 2006, 07:46
Fibre-glass were they not? Got one on my tail at Gant's Hill......he had no chance:E

BombayDuck
23rd Jun 2006, 08:22
airborne artist / tin, it is a Daimler Dart?

Rushton
23rd Jun 2006, 08:33
'Twas also known as the SP250 mainly because in the the USA Dodge had already registered the name Dart for one of their vehicles.

acbus1
23rd Jun 2006, 08:36
Plus, of course, SP 250 stood for..........

....u-u-u-u-u-u-uhm.......

Rushton
23rd Jun 2006, 08:39
SP = Sports, 250 = engine size. But i think you knew that already

acbus1
23rd Jun 2006, 08:39
Yeh! Just kiddin, I was.

:\

airborne_artist
23rd Jun 2006, 09:02
Tinpis - was it a DD get-together - they are not all the same car?

acbus1
23rd Jun 2006, 09:10
Nah! Here's a DD get together.

http://www.celebrityonair.com/images/Products/8571D-DD_f.jpg

Dame leer sport.

Lon More
23rd Jun 2006, 09:12
Cheerio Was she from Pasadena (http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/The-Little-Old-Lady-From-Pasadena-lyrics-Beach-Boys/51FEAF123526BB84482569820028E78F)?

BTW I think it would be a very expensive thing to have in the shed. Many of the bits were unique to that car and were made of that well-known metal, unobtanium

GearDown&Locked
23rd Jun 2006, 09:14
The most curious thing is the fact that the headlights, front blinkers and gauges, to name a few, were interchangeable with the austin/morris mini, wolseley, triumph, or anything british from the sixties :}

GD&L:ok:

Lon More
23rd Jun 2006, 09:18
GD&L Those bits were produced by The Prince of Darkness, Joe Lucas, and were used in lots of British cars at that time; an early COTS

American bumper sticker from that period. "Why do the English drink warm beer? Because Lucas makes their refrigerators."

teeteringhead
23rd Jun 2006, 09:19
Many more things were interchangeable in them days ....

Gauges = Smiths

Electrics = Lucas

how simple .......

IIRC the Dart/SP 250 suffered muchly from cracking of the fibreglass due to chassis flexing.

acbus1
23rd Jun 2006, 09:21
they suffer form quite serious differential problems

suffered muchly from cracking of the fibreglass due to chassis flexing

Basically, it was a heap of cr@<hidden>, then. :rolleyes:

GearDown&Locked
23rd Jun 2006, 09:37
I know someone who runs one. One thing he's told me is that they suffer form quite serious differential problems (...)

http://www.philseed.com/images/tr-herald62b.jpg

My father had one of these (dark green it was) bought new, that suffered the same type of differential problems. Got sold because of that too.
GD&L

Lon More
23rd Jun 2006, 09:39
Basically, it was a heap of cr@<hidden>, then
Well it was originally designed for the U.S. market so it didn't have to be very good.:\
No CAD programs in those days, Colin Chapmans philosophy of pre-production testing was - build it strong, lighten it till it breaks, then add 10%.

I've owned several British sports cars, Lotus Elite, Elan S2 and a Rochdale Olympic All great fun although all short of proper development; a common failing in the U.K. industry at that time. If not for a disasterous fire Rochdale might still have been making cars as the Olympic, if set up properly was a viable alternative to the Lotus, and much cheaper. I tried to get one with a Lotus Twin-Cam engine accepted for historic racing without success, too fast for the MG brigade, until it wennt up in flames.:uhoh:

Not mine unfortunately
http://www.motorbase.com/profiles/vehicle/picture.ehtml?i=170;p=718132274

SLFguy
23rd Jun 2006, 12:08
Oh dear.
T'was OK till you showed us that. :yuk:

:} :} :} :} :D

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
23rd Jun 2006, 12:21
GD&L is that Vitesse in a time warp?

or is it his very last picture as he pulls out in front of that speeding bus?

http://www.philseed.com/images/tr-herald62b.jpg

VitaminGee
23rd Jun 2006, 13:03
Mr tinpis, do all DDs come complete with a No 10 knitting needle? [see passenger's floorpan] :p

acbus1
23rd Jun 2006, 13:06
Snot a Vitesse.

Tis a Herald.

Vitessess'sss's had slopey headlight thingies.

I should know, I learnt to drive (well, my version of driving, anyway) on a Vitesse.........until it got changed for a British Leyland Austin/Morris 1100 part way through my training.

That feckin Austin had a pheeeeeenominally stiff gearchange and an H pattern more like.......well.......a really narrow H. I recall really steamed up windows when we practised the twiddly manouevres.......such was the sheer effort of wanking that gearlever about.

I think I've digressed a tad. :O

GearDown&Locked
23rd Jun 2006, 16:16
It is a Herald indeed. Fine car it was.

I still remenber seeing the headlights pointing towards the ground when my father was checking the oil and water levels before our weekend trips.

GD&L

ILS Repeater
23rd Jun 2006, 16:27
One had the misfortune to own a 2.0L Vitesse whilst at uni, because of the live rear axle (diff bolted to the floor pan and drive shafts down to the wheels),it had a rather unnerving habit of attemping to use the sidewall of the inside wheel on sharp turns. Not the best idea for good grip when cornering, I succeded in putting it in ditch on the way from Wisbech to Hunstanton.

ExSimGuy
23rd Jun 2006, 16:45
I've owned both a Herald and a Spitfire. Both had the same tilt-forward "bonnet" and made things really easy to work on engine or front suspension. :ok:

Also, you never had to worry about the bonnet catch slipping and the bonnet flying back and wrapping itself over the windscreen! :D

But they both had the same rear suspension as the Vitesse (all the same chassis, but the vitesse had the 2-litre 6-pot motor) and, as ILS Repeater says, could be "interesting" on a corner as the inside rear wheel intermittently "hopped" sideways :E

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
23rd Jun 2006, 17:14
I thought a Vitesse was a convertible Herald :confused:

I must've been wrong :(

As for the bonnet tilting forwards...I saw one in NZ in 1986 and I watched the owner lift the bonnett. I was amazed at the consequential total lack of crumple zones or energy absorbing structures that this car had. :ooh:

The words "Death" and "Trap" hovered over it in a ghoulish cloud. :=

White Bear
23rd Jun 2006, 17:51
The Vitesse was a wonderful car in its day. Good looking, with a smooth running straight 6 cylinder engine, lots of torque, decent mileage.
IIRC 70 mph in 2nd gear made it the overtaking gear.
Grandad of the Triumph 2000.
I liked it a lot.
Regards,
W.B.:ok:

Buster Cherry
23rd Jun 2006, 20:48
One word describes......Wow.
Always wanted an Austin Healey V8 but the missus threw a dirty great railway spanner right in the works...
Yes, I like cheese.

Groundgripper
23rd Jun 2006, 20:50
How come the front end of that SP250's registered in Vaud and the back end in Geneva? (Sorry I'm late, just found the thread!)
I learned to drive in a Herald (1961), still got my first driving licence. Nice little cloth-covered book.
GG

tall and tasty
23rd Jun 2006, 20:59
The dash reminds me of the dash on my mothers TR3 or am I totally wrong. Just have not seen it for a number of years, she is safely locked away for prosperity only coming out to have her run once a month and then back in due to the horrid Blighty weather.(unfortunatley I don't have the pleasure of taking her for a spin she is my brothers pride and joy now)

TnT

M.Mouse
23rd Jun 2006, 21:23
How can anybody say they liked the Triumph Herald!

Horrible, horrible, horrible car. The vitesse was marginally better looking with, for its day, a half decent engine but handling? Basically it didn't. I also seem to recall that it had a very wide transmission tunnel and the footwells and passeneger space were both narrow with closely spaced pedals on the drivers side. Body twisted horribly. Ughhhh.

Now my Mk 1 1200 c.c Ford Cortina Estate.........

Picture here. (http://www.mk1cortina.com/img/MK1estate.jpg)

tinpis
23rd Jun 2006, 22:14
Thanks all for the input.
We dont seem to have a prooner who actually currently owns one of these blighters?
I recall the gearbox being nice so it cant have been a Moss :rolleyes: ...the steering was of the Armstrong variety tho but the exhaust burble from those twin pipes ....oh me oh my.....
Oh ..and it went like shite off a chrome shovel.:ok:
There is one for sale nearby........:cool:

TNT your mother is correct in not letting anyone near the TR3.
Owned one, and swapping ends unexpectedly was a common trait in those !
Loverly chuggy Ferguson tractor engine tho.:p

ShyTorque
23rd Jun 2006, 22:25
SP250 was the first mass-produced fibreglass car, IIRC.

ecnalubma
23rd Jun 2006, 22:26
I don't trust anything with the steering wheel on the wrong side:O

pigboat
23rd Jun 2006, 22:48
Nice looking car, but why's the steering wheel on the wrong side? :confused:

tinpis
23rd Jun 2006, 22:51
Oh ...well me recollections from 40 years ago arent so bad !!!

acbus1
24th Jun 2006, 05:53
Nice looking car

http://homepage.mac.com/stevenbutterworth/Sites/Morges05/mediafiles/l96.jpg

http://www.skillset.org/uploads/jpeg/asset_4183_hl.jpg

http://images.scotsman.com/2004/09/17/1709cheb.jpg

:}

Grandpa
24th Jun 2006, 06:02
I like this stone wall!

tinpis
24th Jun 2006, 10:43
Cheerio youre rebuilding one then??

Surprisingly quite few found their way Darnunder.

Lon More
24th Jun 2006, 11:39
From Cheerio's link No less an authority on grace than Sir William Lyons was rumored to have tossed his scones on his first sight of a Dart
:D :D

ATCO17
24th Jun 2006, 15:17
Police version of the SP250 was known as the "Fresh Air Pursuit Car"! Always wanted one but put off by reliability.:ok:

Burnt Fishtrousers
24th Jun 2006, 15:36
Most Triumphs ive had over the years have had dodgy differentials, and an amazing ability to resist rust in the rear quarters....probably due to the oil that leaked from them.

Never seen a clean dry Triumph underneath in my life

A mate had the diff go in his TVR 3000M surprise surprise it was a TR6 diff which couldnt handle the torque of the Essex V6...whole lot went bang and left a nice little trail of oil behind. They had to take the rear window out to remove the original and replace it.

Whirlygig
24th Jun 2006, 16:23
I used to drive a Series V Sunbeam Alpine (1967) as my everyday car for many years. One day, I parked outside the shops and a very elegant, middle-aged woman came up to me, put her hand on my arm and said, "Y'know, I've always loved the Daimler Dart".

Eh? The Alpine ain't that ugly! At least it doesn't look like a guppy :p

Cheers

Whirls