PDA

View Full Version : GA use of ATC services

abingtonsky
22nd Jun 2006, 22:47
Hi folks

Wee question for you ATC types.

How much use do light aircraft make of air traffic services? I know you guys (oops and gals) deal mostly with the commercial airliners comings and goings, and that you must see small aircraft moving across, usually well below the levels you're concerned about I guess, though I suppose you won't necessarily know the height.

Do small aircraft request services much and do you have cause to speak to them much?

Pls forgive my lack of knowledge.

Chilli Monster
22nd Jun 2006, 22:58
To answer this question (from a UK perspective ) would require far more time than I've got. But - basically:

There is not just ATC in the Airways and Controlled airspace that the Commercial aircraft use. Some busy light GA airfields have ATC. In addition to this there is the military and a few civil airfields who provided what is known as a "Lower Airspace Radar Service" to aircraft ouside of regulated airspace who want an ATC service to try and keep them out of the way of other aircraft. Useful also as it means that you can inform any aircraft you may have inbound or outbound of any possible conflictions and do something about it.

So - quite a lot of light aircraft use it in one form or another. It all depends where they are.

abingtonsky
22nd Jun 2006, 23:55
Cheers chilli

I was thinking about in open country, well away from airports. Do GA planes in these areas generally fly without contact with ATC?

Where I am in southern Scotland, there are high level flights going north to Glasgow/ Edinburgh, and some low level flights and I was trying to get my small head around how the control works.

as

anotherthing
23rd Jun 2006, 11:54
Abington -

It is a fairly complex issue, however, at the levels you seem to be talking about, as long as you stay away from conrtol zones, and remain in unrestricted airspace (class G), you can virtually do what you like within the rules of the air.

If you are in southern Scotlan (what do you call southern - I was born in the borders), south of Edinburgh, you do not have much in the way of controlled airspace to worry about - however beware of the low level military traffic in this area.

You can partake in a LARS service, receiving either a FIS, RIS or (If flying IFR; RAS), or you can fly around speaking to a FISO who will give you a FIS or ultimately you can elect not to speak to anyone and do your own thing.

Up in Scotland, there are a lot of low flying fast jets to consider, so you would be well advised to talk to a LARS unit - even if you only elect to take a FIS, any LARS unit that is half decent will tell you about fast moving traffic in your vicinity - as long as they have both you and it on radar obviously (they may want to identify you depending on your intended route and any possible activity they may have... this identification does not constitute that a radar service is being provided).

At the very least, if you wish to fly about without speakng to anyone, you should always have a com plan for your route, and as you potter around, you should dial up the appropriate LARS frequency and listen in - it's good airmanship and if you get into a spot of trouble, you will have the best frequency selected (as well as 121.5).

Rememebr that in class G airspace, you are responsible for collision avoidance under a FIS or RIS - it's a see and be seen environment.

Widger
23rd Jun 2006, 12:18
And if you would like to write to your MP, stating that you would like to financially contribute to the fantastic ATS you receive outside CAS, that would be nice as well!!

BDiONU
23rd Jun 2006, 13:18
Up in Scotland, there are a lot of low flying fast jets to consider, so you would be well advised to talk to a LARS unit - even if you only elect to take a FIS, .
Although they're few and far between in Scotland, especially on the West coast ;)

BD

anotherthing
23rd Jun 2006, 13:27
BD

Will take your word for it.... been many a moon since I looked at the RAF en route supplement for lars units - I seem to recall even then tho that they were sparse.

Abington - when setting up your com plan - don't just look for LARS units - look for A/G stations and also airports/airfields that do not provide LARS if you are in an area where they are sparse - at least dialling those up and listening in may help,

If you had a UHF box, I would sell you the military low flying frequency!!!

chevvron
24th Jun 2006, 13:00
If you operate anywhere near an airfield in class G airspace (eg Inverness, Wick, Kirkwall) which has commercial/scheduled flights, it's always a good idea to call the approach frequency so they can pass traffic info to the IFR traffic.

Red Top Comanche
26th Jun 2006, 17:24
Abbingdon

Yery much up to you.

I like to talk to the local ATC just ro receive a FIS from London, Paris if they can be bothered to talk to me etc.

But I know guys who turn the radio on and then ignore it unless they are flying through controlled airspace.

Personally I find ATC and the serice they provide very good in the UK (grovel grovel) :) .