PDA

View Full Version : CHC pilot vacancies

Sax412
22nd Jun 2006, 20:20
I've red in many threads that CHC is always looking for new pilots, yet I was told from a friend if mine who was recently at their training center in Netherlands that they are extra busy in AB 139 training and are flying countless hours on it.
It's about three months or more that I keep looking on CHC website for new pilot vacancies and opportunities but I can read always the same one regarding experienced IFR Captains to employ as touring pilots in British Columbia.

My question is: where should I look for to find CHC pilot opportunities in Europe or other countries as well but different from the one reported on their website?

If that's the only one I think that all rumours about their vacancies are untrue.

Cheers,
Sax

SASless
22nd Jun 2006, 21:03
Sax,

You seem to have hit upon a conumdrum....CHC is short of pilots in Nigeria. Local efforts there to identify likely replacements seems to fall upon deaf ears.

CHC seems willing to transfer folks out or see them quit after a single tour of six weeks...or get their Candadian license and stay a few six week tours then leave....but seeking out Nigeria experienced pilots is not happening.

They will however recruit new out of the box coeys which will only add to the workload of the Captains while flying out of one of the busiest areas for helicopter operations in the world.

Perhaps some of the PHC guys from Bristow or ACN(CHC) will describe the amount of radio chat required to complete a "simple" flight at PHC. It rumoured to take about 66 radio calls for some flights out and back along with the other cockpit duties.

Sax412
22nd Jun 2006, 21:35
Holy s**t!
... and nothing else but Nigeria ?
... By the way, were I so "crazy" to go there where should I apply for ?
No positions for the Northern Europe?
:uhoh:

coalface
22nd Jun 2006, 21:50
CHC is completely disfunctional at the moment. They call themselves a global company but there is little co-ordination between the different divisions.
Don't bother relying on their website as the good folks who look after it won't be getting any input from the hirers and firers. Even the hirers and firers can't be relied on because they don't get the input from the sales & marketing people. CHC is, as always, so far behind the drag curve they will end up hiring too many pilots and when the next downturn comes there will be the usual kneejerk reaction and the last 50 or so pilots will be out of a job before they know it.
If you are still keen to get a job with CHC, go to a local base and speak to the chief pilot. He will give you the latest info relating to his area and point you in the right direction.
Good luck.

paddyboy
22nd Jun 2006, 21:54
... and nothing else but Nigeria ?

Sax,

Have licence, must travel...

If you want a job that is.:(

anjouan
22nd Jun 2006, 22:27
sax,
Susan McAlpine [email protected] is the recruiter for CHC Global operations. If you send your CV to her she'll see if you qualify for any current vacancies outside Europe or Canada. If you want to PM me and find out more first, feel free. For Nigeria if you have anything less than around 2,500 hours with some offshore or overwater time and an I/R, you'll probably find they're not too interested. Preferred types for there are S76 or SA365. Be warned, Nigeria is not for the faint hearted!

3top
22nd Jun 2006, 23:39
Anjouan,

what is this about Nigeria?
A friend just changed from Heli Union to CHC as a Capt. precisely on S-76 and the Dolphin. I didn't hear back from him yet...
I know though that CHC has plenty of pilots that flatout refuse to go to Nigeria....

So what is so wild about that place??

3top:cool:

212man
23rd Jun 2006, 02:51
Maybe you could read through the "what's new in West Africa " thread, or follow the news, to give you a clue!:confused:

N Arslow
23rd Jun 2006, 07:16
More than 2500 hours required for Nigeria - can you believe.

Dangagan
23rd Jun 2006, 09:53
Sax412, I am sorry but Nigeria is where the money is for Helicopter Pilots and She can frankly do without Pilots like Sax412 with such questionable attitudes. Do not even bother to apply to Nigeria because there is no room there for "crazy" Pilots.

Sax412
23rd Jun 2006, 19:30
Dangagan,
I'm sorry but I do not fully understand the sense of your message ... :bored:

murdock
24th Jun 2006, 05:25
Personally I think Susan McAlpine seemed perfectly nice and informative when I met with her. From what I came to understand you can live wherever you want in the world and they will send you out on 6 week rotations. I am not sure how you choose where you get to go, but I guess that would be discussable. And I find it hard to believe that you would have to have a min of 2500 hours to fly in Nigeria, since I know of a guy who got hired by Bristown Group at about 1700 hours and is flying 407's out there right now. For CHC to be a co-jo I guess you have to have 500 hour multi min, and from what I was told you need to have about 50 on the 76. But I guess it all depends on the angle you are coming from. And would depend on the license that you hold for what region you could work dictated by what reg the aircraft is. They seem to be adrvertising quite regularily and from what I believe they are still hiring, as they have a need for more pilots as always. I dont really know how bad Nigeria is, but I reckon its probably more hyped than it actually is. People always tend to focus on the bad things to talk about an area so they can talk about something, and all the bad stories tend to stand out ore than the good ones. Good luck!

212man
24th Jun 2006, 06:26
"More than 2500 hours required for Nigeria - can you believe it?"

Hard to believe; it's such a benign operating environment and so few demands are made upon the pilots that would warrant requiring significant experience!!:ugh:

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
24th Jun 2006, 07:41
212man,

Lowest form of wit :cool:

NEO

SASless
24th Jun 2006, 12:49
Murdock,

I dont really know how bad Nigeria is, but I reckon its probably more hyped than it actually is. People always tend to focus on the bad things to talk about an area so they can talk about something, and all the bad stories tend to stand out ore than the good ones. Good luck!

A positive attitude helps.....how long one can hold on to that is another. After you get to Nigeria....do let us know how "good" it is.

anjouan
24th Jun 2006, 16:34
spinwing,

Your friends with excellent connections at CHC obviously donīt have that good connections. Susan has recruited many people for Nigeria and is a very pleasant, helpful person to deal with.

Bristow will indeed hire pilots withg less than 2500 hours because the Pan African B407/206 operation is for single pilot VFR only and is mostly shuttling to platforms not too far offshore. However, most of the oil companies in Nigeria set higher experience requirements for IFR Captains on twins, as operated by CHC. There are discussions going on with the NCAA at present as to whether they may allow some short-term use of expatriates to cover the helicopter pilot shortage in Nigeria, but the outcome of that will likely depend on the number of Nigerian ab-initio pilots either CHC or Bristow is likely to pay to train.

You could always look at Caverton if you want lousy money for a lousy roster and lousy treatment.

spinwing
24th Jun 2006, 22:18
Narslow/Murdock/Anjouan.....

... my (Canadian) connections go right up to the "Big Boss's" private Email address ... which I understand is the secret of getting a decent position (if such a thing exists???)... it is ...the so called "Old Boy Network"!

The word is..... that going thru HR will only get you an offer of a slot in Nigeria 'cos that is where their crewing difficulties are! ... approaches thru their Web site ...."get lost in their server!" the crews in Nigeria not too happy with the bull****ting that happens .... Did Sue Mc. offer a job other than Nigeria? ... Oh and I don't think you get to choose where you go, you get TOLD!

Even VERY experienced pilots reject Nigeria for reasons that become very apparent WHEN YOU GET THERE ... its easy to get low time guys to fill positions ... but what they need are high time VERY EXPERIENCED drivers!

And both Bristows and CHC (at the moment) do NOToffer enough (pay/conditions) to attract same! .... though I do hear`that Bristows may soon go 6/6 in Nigeria ?????

407s at Escravos chaps ..... I don't think so !!!!

:} :} :ugh:

SASless
24th Jun 2006, 23:25
Two of the Bristow office wallahs in Lagos are already doing back to back tours are they not? Surely the pilots and engineers will be on to that kind of deal too shortly? Right?:rolleyes:

Spin,

Back on December 10th, I made the following post which began a thread mocking CHC's Human Resources in particular and the HR concept in general. You posted in that thread as well.

If you do in fact have an "in" with the "The Boss Fellah", how about making a copy of that and send it to him by e-mail....perhaps a long conversation about their hiring practices might be enlightening to him.

Human Resource Departments.....What a Joke!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heliport,

I apologize in advance for what I am about to do....but this job advert proves the new age Human Resources concept at helicopter companies has lost all touch with reality.

This ad was posted at a US based web site that proclaims itself to be the best helicopter web site in the world.....but falls a wee tad short of that claim. (Miles actually....but it is improving.)

Before you read the ad.....ask yourself these questions.

(1) If I were the recruiter for a major international helicopter operator..."Should I be able to research known data in order to identify potential candidates for very new aircraft types prior to posting an open ad in the media?"

(2) Exactly how many pilots in the world fit the criteria I am posting?

(3) Are there any ways to identify candidates without posting an ad?

The Ad......

Position: Oil Industry Pilot Posted: 12/7/2005
Company :
XXXXXXXX- Global Operations
(p) XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
(e) [email]XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Contact Person :
Pilot Recruiter

Job Location :

Outside USA

Job Description:

XXX Helicopter Corporation is the world's largest provider of helicopter services to the global offshore oil and gas industry, with aircraft operating in more than 30 countries around the world. XXX Global Operations is seeking experienced IFR offshore pilots with S92 and/or AB139 experience. Candidates must be willing to travel extensively and work on rotation. Typical rotations are 6 weeks on / 6 weeks off. Candidates may reside at any location globally. XXX offers a competitive compensation and benefits program. Required Competencies: · Cooperative team players capable of dealing with changing deadlines and priorities. · Flexibility with changing requirements regarding work hours/days, location and travel. · Support of continual safety and quality improvement. · Ability to work cooperatively in culturally diverse environments. · Valid passport. · Captains 3000 hrs/1000 Multi. · Co-pilots 1500 Hours/500 Multi. · Current FAA/JAR/ICAO/Canadian ATPL and IFR. · No less then 300 hours offshore experience. · Experience with one or more of the following types: - S92 - AB139 TO APPLY: Visit www.xxxglobal.ca - Careers Link Please note that contact with applicants will only be made based on the demand for additional personnel.

If I were the XXX CEO....I would be asking some very direct questions of my HR Director!

Exactly how many pilots in the world are current on both....the S-92 and AB-139 I ask you? Just how many are current on either for that matter? Think you could come up with a list if you took just a few minutes to research where the aircraft are....and make a few inquiries with people you know in the industry?

XXX HR must have a computer program that has little bitty boxes with aircraft types....and those boxes get an "X" put in them if you are qualified in that particular aircraft. No "X" and your name does not pop out of the computer when a search is done. Thus...no matter your experience....unless the computer pulls your name out of the hat.....you do not get considered.

This is just the most extreme case of that concept being applied I have seen yet.

I would suggest to XXX, they hire a Recruiter....and have him work for the Chief Pilot/Director of Ops.....their results would be better. It is time they got out of the computer Resume business and got back into the "Human" resource business and have pilots hire pilots....engineers hire engineers....and HR types do the paperwork.

Am I being unfair in my dislike for such systems....that are stereotypical of "HR" mafia's in the modern business world?

I think I much prefer that personal touch that used to be the standard in the helicopter industry. Maybe I am just being a dinosaur about this.

VTA
25th Jun 2006, 02:11
SASless, you speaketh the truth all around, with one slight inaccuracy...XXX no longer has a Human Rescourses department!! It has officially been renamed "Employee Relations and Services"....Has a softer, nicer feel don't ya think..Unfortunatly employee relations are just about zero, unless you're in the Deal or No Deal group.. and we all get better service at Minit Lube!!!

mrwellington
25th Jun 2006, 03:24
spinwing,
................cover the helicopter pilot shortage in Nigeria

....there is no shortage of helicopterpilots (anywhere IMO), it's just the pay is crap so nobody will take the jobs.
Mayby make the HR department(s) generate the revenue :ouch:

Super 61
25th Jun 2006, 07:12
Several new hires have ended up in Thailand recently. CHC Global are not short of co pilots. CHC (Global) are short of experienced IFR Captains. HR is defiantely going through a transition so give them a break, they are currently starting 4 to 5 Captains a month, although that is now slowing down. Company policy has always been to use nationals as copilots, the recent hiring of ex pat co pilots is due to a shortage of available nationals in Thailand and Nigeria. Most of the Thai's left to work for Si Chang Flying Service, their (Thai) replacements are now coming though line quals so a few ex pat co pilots will be relocating shortly.

Sundance76
26th Jun 2006, 06:49
...I got no problem wit the pay rates... or the use of national's as cojo's!
Me thinks some whine 2 much!:ok:

tiltrotor
28th Jun 2006, 04:50
Ladies and gents -

What never fails to amaze me is that the actually quite intelligent, truthfull and honest postings of people who try to give others advise and constructive feedback very quickly get overturned by the "throw the eggs and tomatoes" kind of stuff, generally posted by people, who, in my humble opinion, either don't have the slightes clue what they are talking about but want to shoot off their mouths anyway because they think they do, or by people who are somewhat interested in improving the industry, but have become so sour over the years and don't have other jobs to go to that they trash everyone anyway.

I realize that I will likely take a lot of rubbish for this posting, but for those of you who have an honest interest in making things better for everyone, keep posting, if possible, constructive feedback. For those of you who don't know jack - remember, the can be greener on the other side. I don't think that any employer ever has forced you to work for them.

And when it comes to feedback about recruiting policies, HR personnel, etc. II think there should be enough professionalism amongst us not to "get personal". In large organisations, it is normally not individuals, but the processes and systems that are at fault.

I have also, with much curiosity, followed the discussion on hourly requirements - if you want to work in the Oil and Gas Industry, remember, it is more than often the Customer setting the requirements. All operators must jointly address this problem, as quite indeed, there are many talented pilots out there which could perfectly fit in, but do not meet the customer's min. requirements.

Then again, judging by some of the "angry, let's see whom I can trash today" postings, I am not so sure about the above statement. It's sad to see that some of you grumpy old farts or guys without any real clue about the industry reflect in this way on the many truly good postings in these discussion threats - now let your guns loose guys, I am doing a statistical analysis how many trash postings will come up in reply to this e-mail!

Safe flying, keep smiling!

mrwellington
28th Jun 2006, 14:03
I don't know if your pointing your finger at me :confused:
If the rates went up, talent will be attracted and vice versa.

IMHO

SASless
28th Jun 2006, 16:07
TR,

I don't think that any employer ever has forced you to work for them.

...In large organisations, it is normally not individuals, but the processes and systems that are at fault

The first sentence begins to sum up the "old school management attitude". It can parsed to say..."you don't like it here....piss off!"

As to your second comment...what system or process is not created by individuals?

If you implement a fecked up system....it is not the system that is at fault. Fecked up systems and policies are the direct result of incompetent management.

I would suggest the modern concept of "Human Resources" is a load of crap when "HR" does the hiring and not the folks that are going to be utilizing those hired. Currently, "HR" does the recruiting, screening, and at presents their "picks" to the CP who then might have an input. How many fish drop through the net that could be "keepers" if the correct net had been used?

CP's and CE's should do the hiring and let the "HR" mafia do the paperwork just as "Pilot Admin" or "Engineering Admin" used to do.

The key is not finding fault with the messenger but realistically evaluating the message. If people are criticizing the "system" then review the "system" to see if the complaints are valid.

spinwing
28th Jun 2006, 23:12
TR

..... old darling ... methinks you might be one of those with a can of lighter fluid in one hand and a box of matches in the other ....

You may be working in Qatar at the moment ...BUT I wonder how much REAL world commercial experience you really have ?????

We will have to watch you veeeerrry closely !!!

Cheers :} :E

tiltrotor
29th Jun 2006, 01:41
Come on old chaps - there is no finger pointing, and Spinwing, although he has his guesses wrong, is quite right, it's nice to stir the **** sometimes! Isn't that what we are all here for? Thanks S.W., I take the ligher fluid as a compliment.
SAS-Less - The only problem I have, and that is why I made the comment you quote, is not that things are perfect in all companies, in fact I agree that many companies have lots of stuff to fix, including wages (although, we may have come to a stages, especially considering contract requirements, age restrictions, etc. where maybe we do not have the luxury of attracting people just with money any more). Not that more money hurts.
However, I do think that those guys who sit around on the porch after work and keep on whining and winging over a few beers, but never ever take the initiative to provide real useful and constructive feedback, seem to be quite often the guys who post personal insults on this forum, possibly after everyone else has left the porch and now they don't have anything better to do.
When it comes to HR practices - it ain't that easy any more today, especially not in big organisations, there are not only whom-you-know aspects, but nowadays, also many legal and other aspects to consider. That is probably why in bigger companies, like CHC, they leave it up to professional with an HR background, I would think. I believe that ultimately, although the hiring process may not be that ideal, the decision still remains with the CP, or sometimes training Captains who often provide good feedback.
The old flying clubs where you operated 10 helicopters, and the only way you joined the club was by knowing the Chiefpilot personnally by the way, and which never gave the younger guys, new to the business any chance, are fortunately coming to an end. Mostly for the good of the guys who want to advance in the industry, in all fairness.
Again - I agree with all comments that many problems need fixing; Because you have mentionned it - I wonder how many guys nowadays, unless they want to score a free 412 rating, want to go to Doha anymore? There seems to be a strange change of demographics there, and at ADA by the way too. I wonder why?
I think the only point I had to make is that it's pretty unprofessional to drag a particular person in the CHC hiring process through the dirt like this. Wonder how you would feel about it?
I am amazed, I have already generated 2 stinkers to my last posting, looks like the experiment is working.
Keep smiling guys and safe flying! I better watch my lighter fluid! Thanks for that comment Spinwing - quite like it! I am a bit disappointed about the commercial experience though. Maybe you are referring to North Sea experience only?:ok: Later boys, be safe.