PDA

View Full Version : What is a Bluntie?

talktothehand
22nd Jun 2006, 15:42
There seem to be lots of references in many of the threads refering to 'Blunties' etc. What exactly does everyone think a 'Bluntie' is these days? Most of the Chefs, Stds, Clerks, Stackers and Drivers that have worked for me, have more operational experience than most aircrew types (standfast Helicopter Force but what about the AD world?) Isn't about time we all accepted what everyone brings to the party?

The Helpful Stacker
22nd Jun 2006, 15:47
A bluntie in the true sense of the word is anyone who doesn't fly (after all, a/c are the force we project at the 'pointy end') but over the years some people have felt it doesn't include them and have tried shuffling sideways into pointy land, techies for example.

talktothehand
22nd Jun 2006, 15:51
Happy with the origin, just think that its an outdated concept. Could live with it when we all hid in our bunkers and the boys flew off to take the fight to the enemy, but seems really inappropriate now.

South Bound
22nd Jun 2006, 15:53
TTTH

depends what you mean by operational experience really. If you mean doing one's day-to-day bluntie job in support of an operation living in a tent, then fine, but the distinction is really that blunties do not normally operate at the sharp end of ops as the aircrew do. Of course there is a blurred line when one considers the RAF Regt and others that work outside the wire, but hey, who cares? Anyone who doesn't fly is a bluntie!

talktothehand
22nd Jun 2006, 15:56
Tell that to my guys and girls that were convoy commanders and guards in Iraq and they are most certainly not RAF Regt

FOMere2eternity
22nd Jun 2006, 15:57
talk

It's a nice principle to think 'everyone brings something to the party', but I personally think we're still inundated with too many people who I can only describe as parasites. I don't mean those who indirectly support the front line without necessarily knowing the days flying programme, I mean those who are seemingly unemployed for the most part and spend their time coming up with new ways to reinvent, reorganise, rebrigade, restructure, recost and generally interfere with an often working wheel.

Perhaps it's time to contact the OED and redefine 'bluntie' and I'm sure we've got a spare Wg Cdr and couple of Sqn Ldrs to staff the project for 3yrs...

Bob Viking
22nd Jun 2006, 15:57
You're right. Combat admin. Wow!
BV:E

South Bound
22nd Jun 2006, 16:02
TTTH - clearly those boys and girls are still blunties, just combat blunties....:E

Roadster280
22nd Jun 2006, 16:17
Answer from the RAF website:

Stewards run dining rooms and bars in Officers’ and Sergeants’ Messes. Trained in silver service, you’ll serve food and drinks to hotel and club standards, making sure that your customers have everything they need. As an RAF Steward you’ll cover a far larger field of professional experience than your civilian counterparts could ever hope for: running dining rooms, bars and reception offices in Officers’ and Sergeants’ Messes, working in field dining rooms and accommodation.

Archetypal bluntie? What is the war role of a steward? If none, why is there a need for uniformed stewards?

FOMere2eternity
22nd Jun 2006, 16:22
What is the war role of a steward? If none, why is there a need for uniformed stewards?

Decoys?

:E

The Helpful Stacker
22nd Jun 2006, 16:40
I mean those who are seemingly unemployed for the most part and spend their time coming up with new ways to reinvent, reorganise, rebrigade, restructure, recost and generally interfere with an often working wheel.

Well thats about 3/5ths (being generous) of the RAF's officers accounted for, imagine the LEAN savings there.....

;)

Ps, Why do pilots still have to be officers?

Fox_4
22nd Jun 2006, 16:51
I cant believe you even have to ask what a "bluntie" is!!!
It doesnt really matter if you run the DAG from the comfort of your tent albeit in some dump desert somewhere = bluntie!
Convoy driver (all respect due) but probably still a stacker/engineer/admin bod = bluntie.
A leopard cant change its spots. A bluntie cant get over that they are not aircrew.
The RAF is all about projecting Air Power. Those that dont project Air Power support those that do!
Abuse inbound but happy to merge with it!!! :cool:

Tourist
22nd Jun 2006, 16:59
Because if you can't even manage to get in as an officer or are unwilling to accept the responsibilities involved, you have no business captaining an aircraft.

FOMere2eternity
22nd Jun 2006, 17:06
Because if you can't even manage to get in as an officer or are unwilling to accept the responsibilities involved, you have no business captaining an aircraft.

Sorry Tourist, that just fell out of the non-neighing end of a horse. Lots of non-officers shoulder responsibilities immeasurably greater than many officers who captain little more than a desk, yet project interference towards tasks they often have little first hand knowledge in.

I would also say many of todays aircraft captains may be qualified to land a jet but lack other qualities.

UnderPowered
22nd Jun 2006, 17:17
For my money, everyone in a light blue uniform contributes in some way to the delivery of Air Power, like it or not. Agreed, some do it in a very below-average way.

And some of the non-flyers/Regt put themselves in harm's way, of that there is no doubt.

I think 'Bluntie' is a state of mind - wire locked in the 'hate pilots' position; the answer's no, now what's the question; you can't do that, its against the rules; I don't care if your engine blew up, you were late sluting the flag; I never wanted to be a pilot anyway....

I also think that I like calling blunties blunties; its like a little prize you get when your wings are pinned on. I like prizes.

Question is, is bluntie still a derogatory term in 2006, or is it just a name? Like 'Jockey'? Which I hate.

Tourist
22nd Jun 2006, 17:19
FO
So why are they not officers?
Lack of ambition?
Lazy?

Zoom
22nd Jun 2006, 17:57
Some bods are getting their knickers in a twist here. Bluntie is a title, that's all, like trucky, rock ape, plod, zob or blanket stacker. Wear it with pride, knowing that you are one of the thousands of cogs that makes the RAF machine turn.
Here endeth the lesson.

Wholigan
22nd Jun 2006, 17:58
If you have to ask what a bluntie is ------ you're a bluntie!! :E

qwertyuiop
22nd Jun 2006, 17:59
Helpfull Stacker (Yea right!!).

The Question is not "Why do pilots still have to be officers?"

It should be, how come non aircrew are officers?

Aynayda Pizaqvick
22nd Jun 2006, 18:00
Says it all in the name really... Blunt = BLoody Useless Non Tactical!

Stitchbitch
22nd Jun 2006, 18:26
Tourist...keep fishin' ;)

Okay I'll bite. I know several hundred fine people who wear flying suits and av8 day in day out. And they aren't officers. I also know 50 or 60 who actually captain the things too. And without my bluntie colleagues and myself you wouldn't even set foot in a cockpit, let alone play with all the knobs. :}

but if you insist on being an &rse feel free. :ugh:

Proud to be blunt :)

Max R8
22nd Jun 2006, 18:26
Deffinition of Bluntie? The one who takes money off you because you flew over lunch time! However, they are born again hard when they issue same dosh to harrassed and hot diverted aircrew stuck on the ground over subsequent lunch time!

Bluntie is an attitude...see REMF and PONTI also.

Stitchbitch
22nd Jun 2006, 18:30
I am a gash ‘Guin.
I am a scruff and a member of A watch.
I serve the brews unless I can jif the LAC.
I will not be beaten by obsolete technology or lack of spares, this ******* Herc will fly ,I am too bloody minded to admit defeat.
I will never quit – until it’s past 4:30pm –unless it’s another rush job for the blokes sausage-side.
I will never leave a Ginsters pie or Kit-Kat behind.
I might look undisciplined, physically and mentally soft and half-trained. I haven’t got a war face –don’t be fooled – being a Rock isn’t everything.
I always notionally know where my gun is, I may even clean it from time to time.
I am an expert and I am a professional – and that annoys my boss, 'cos he can't do without us.
I stand ready to complain about deploying, but will help the winged elite engage, and destroy the enemies of HRH Liz if asked nicely- **** them all, gollies/towel-heads/dagos to a man.
I am a gate guardian at times, and it pisses me off.
I am technically part of the British military, and therefore am not allowed to lose wars even if I’ve got a note.
I am a gash ‘Guin.

With thanks to MAPLE1

BEagle
22nd Jun 2006, 18:46
'Bluntness' is the opposite to sharpness - that's all...

Apply it where it is relevant.

6foottanker
22nd Jun 2006, 18:56
See here. It's official, well almost. And the rest of the publication is for those blunties who as yet have not realised they joined the Royal AIR Force

http://ccgi.piers.plus.com/ball/definitions.htm

Big Bear
22nd Jun 2006, 19:17
Ps, Why do pilots still have to be officers?

Because if they weren't we would have a Bluntie CAS. Imagine that!! We might get some decent decisions for once.

Standing by for incoming!

Bear

Tourist
22nd Jun 2006, 19:38
Astounding Stitch

You see a hook.
You smugly recognise it for what it is.
Yet still you bite it.

Must be a bluntie.

(Or possibly the same chump who keeps buying products from Westlands):ugh:

Chesty Morgan
22nd Jun 2006, 19:44
It is of course possible to have a Bluntie at the Sharp end and a Sharpy at the blunt end. Occasionally!

ARINC
22nd Jun 2006, 20:22
It never ceased to be amaze me that people joined the RAF and never actually saw an aircraft, let alone came anywhere near flying ops.

RIDIM
22nd Jun 2006, 20:24
It never ceased to be amaze me that people joined the RAF and never actually saw an aircraft, let alone came anywhere near flying ops.

You do not have to buy the product to work in the factory.

cpmafia
22nd Jun 2006, 20:39
The business of the Royal Air Force is flying and fighting. The role of those who dont is to support those who do.

Those who dont fly or fight = BLUNTIES!

Ducking for cover!!!

Op_Twenty
22nd Jun 2006, 20:39
Guys, you all gotta relax. Think 'us' here already! The truth is that it tends to be, in traditional terms, the 'pointy' element of the service that steps across the border, that's all. You're all getting worked up over nothing. We're different from other services in so far as we tend to only send our aircrew to war (read that-into bad lands) and guys that run stuff on the ground tend to stay out of harms way (regt excepted). This is not true of the army and the RN. It doesn't make our service less capable, it just means we do things differently. I've got a lot of respect for the guys that stay safe side in part because of the attitudes displayed here. It can't be a happy place to be reading the comments above. An interest in military aviation is what brought us all together, that's good enough for me.

Aynayda Pizaqvick
22nd Jun 2006, 21:01
I've got no issues with those that have in interest in military aviation - it's the many that seem to have a keen interest in PREVENTING military aviation that annoy me:ugh:

Op_Twenty
22nd Jun 2006, 21:12
True. I'm feeling it. Still get to touch the face of God every day before I struggle with JPA.

Big Bear
22nd Jun 2006, 21:17
We're different from other services in so far as we tend to only send our aircrew to war (read that-into bad lands) and guys that run stuff on the ground tend to stay out of harms way (regt excepted). This is not true of the army and the RN.

OT

There are many blunties in this forum who have indeed been into the badlands doing jobs that you probably don't realise exist. Unfortunately, as there are not enough aircraft to go round for everyone to fly, we have to risk it in our soft skinned landrovers.

I have no problem with being called bluntie when it implies that I am not aircrew, banter is banter. However, when it is suggested that blunties only help to deliver air power 'out of harms way' think again.

Bear

skaterboi
22nd Jun 2006, 21:30
Some bods are getting their knickers in a twist here. Blunty is a title, that's all, like trucky, rock ape, plod, zob or blanket stacker. Wear it with pride, knowing that you are one of the thousands of cogs that makes the RAF machine turn.
Here endeth the lesson.

Good post, gets my vote :D

I would also say many of todays aircraft captains may be qualified to land a jet but lack other qualities.

Why would you say that? What experience of "today's aircraft captains" do you have to qualify that statement? IMHO there is less room in this Air Force than ever for poor calibre captains given the shrinking size of the AT fleet.

4fitter
22nd Jun 2006, 21:41
Just a little support for the medics who do go sausage side - often !

NURSE
23rd Jun 2006, 02:12
there is a nice one being used in the ARRSE encyclopedia
PONTI
People of No tactical Importance

Blacksheep
23rd Jun 2006, 04:08
There are two types of people in any air force. Blunties and Cannon Fodder.

As a boy I wanted to join the navy. My Yeoman of Signals father wouldn't let me. "Join the RAF, son.." he said. "...they send their officers out to fight while the rates stay at home, drinking all the beer and shagging all the women."

As usual, he was spot on... :E

NURSE
23rd Jun 2006, 04:18
Looks like the number of bluntys is diminishing a good mate of mines trade group will finish in 09. So hope the lines and flight crew are up to speed on painting and finishing

allan907
23rd Jun 2006, 04:50
Most of the "prevention of flying" and "Oops! We blew that procurement exercise" or "JPA sounds like a good idea", decsisions actually come from General Duties officers on a staff tour.

Ground based personnel and aircrew who are - temporarily - on flying tours simply have to get on with it and war amongst themselves while those responsible eventually slip back into the 'pointy' end and join in the attack on the "blunties" (or else they get promoted to air rank and move to a higher level of criticism).

AlanM
23rd Jun 2006, 06:53
If you need to ask what a bluntie is you clearly are one!!!

Let's not forget REMF's

(Rear Echelon Mother - F ckers)

The Swinging Monkey
23rd Jun 2006, 07:12
My take on Blunties, isn't so much their trade, its their outstanding ability to stand in the way of operational success, and screwing others around.

Some Blunties are tip-top - whatever you want from them, you get it. No fuss, no moaning, just get the job done, great. Others however, are less accomodating, and its these that I regard as Blunties. We've all had them, the idiot storeman who can't let you have the last flying suit, 'cos I won't have any left then!' The scribbly Bluntie (probably the worst offender) in handbrake house 'oh sorry Sir, we can't do that for 3 months 'cos we are undermanned!' Yeh right, and what about the 20 blunties over there doing nothing?

Yes, I know that anyone not at the sharp end is technically a Bluntie, but the real ones are those intent on f$£%*ng things up for others! (Scribblies, Rocks, PTIs, Medics, Oh the list goes on!!!!)

Kind regards to all, even some Blunties
TSM

'Caruthers, standby for some serious poo coming our way old boy!'

BlueWolf
23rd Jun 2006, 07:21
I have always understood these things to be known as Blunties

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/TheSourceAura/RNZAF_NZ6361.jpg

As opposed to these which were sharp

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/TheSourceAura/Squawks1.jpg

:(

Climebear
23rd Jun 2006, 07:56
its their outstanding ability to stand in the way of operational success, and screwing others around.

Sounds very much like what my Army colleagues say about their perceived poor level of support they receive from aircrew (be they on a CAS mission, SH or AT). Perhaps such issues depend on which end of a particular telescope you are looking through.

jobsworth
23rd Jun 2006, 09:18
I never wanted to be a bluntie so I formed my own clique comprising of spanner monkeys. Our primary task was to sit out the back of a HAS and smoke tabs whilst lounging in the sun letting the OM15 soak through the overalls into my skin. The skill to avoid the rects controller was a necessity as well as being able to drink a brew before a task, after a task and before the next task.:ok:

thunderbird7
23rd Jun 2006, 10:12
You can't show those offensive warplane pictures on here or Red Helen will have you guts for garters!!

US Herk
23rd Jun 2006, 10:53
Tsk, tsk. Be careful which road you go down or you will find yourselves in a politically correct, corporate mentality where we strive to ensure everyone's self-importance is realised. Want an example, look to the USAF. :{

It started simply enough - someone thought the corporate concept of quality should apply to the Air Force. Sounds good in theory, but then you get those silly "mission statements" & "vision statements" - even our mission - 'Fly, Fight, & Win' - has devolved into a page & a half of rambling non-sense about 'dominating the air & space regime through leverage of technology...blah, blah, blah' The problem with most of these "mission statements" is they end at the office door ('We want to be the best finance office'). They need to keep working through the mission sets until they get to 'Fly, Fight, & Win' to see where they fit in the grand scheme of things. :ugh:

The result of all this is blunties who no longer understand why they exist. The fact is, yes, everyone is important & we're all just cogs in the wheel, but there must be a priority of effort. If I see one more customer service-oriented agency who has altered their hours to 0930-1530 w/2hr lunch & closed on Wed for internal training to "better serve the customer" I'm going to go postal. :*

The simple reality is that there are only two types of military relationships between any individual/organization/unit/agency - supporting & supported. Sometimes you're one, other times you're the other. The trick is to know which you are when & do your J-O-B. It's not rocket science... :hmm:

As an operator, I don't fly airplanes so engineering will have something to work on, controllers have something to control, or accounting will have someone to screw over. := It is quite the opposite. This, in no way, diminshes their importance, but should put it into the perspective of priority.

Unfortunately, in today's USAF, we worry too much about people's feelings, their familiy lives, & self-esteem & we end up with customer-support agencies that don't.:hmm:

BlueWolf
23rd Jun 2006, 11:27
There is a God, and one day I will have the last laugh over Red Helen. The wheels may grind uncommon slow, but they do grind.

Widger
23rd Jun 2006, 12:13
Of course it is only the Air Farce that cowtow to their two winged master race. The other two more Senior Services have ensured that aviators are considered as just another weapon system, to be used at the whim of those who really fight the battle! I suppose by listening to some of the rhetoric on here, as Truckies do not project power, they could be classed as blunties as well. In seriousness, it is this type of attitude, held by some not all, that anyone whose arse is strapped to the ground/ship/tank has nothing to offer, is the singlemost barrier to operating as a combined, effective force!

enginesuck
23rd Jun 2006, 13:26
what bollox:ugh:

Mr C Hinecap
23rd Jun 2006, 13:54
Widger - I think you'll find that the Army has a habit of putting 'teeth arm' types at the top - because that is their business.
The RN tends to put the deck officer type at the top - because that is their business.
Oh looky - each seems to put the person they perceive as the pinnacle of their environmental speciality at the top. Get with it chap :D

talktothehand
23rd Jun 2006, 14:26
As I have said before, all hail to the SH force and the Mud Movers, just think that the rest of you have got a bit of a cheek calling those of those that can't or don't want to fly blunties. And yes there are people in the RAF who didn't join to be pilots and werent just chopped from fg trg! Hook, Line and Sinker.:ok:

Confucius
23rd Jun 2006, 14:27
To a Harrier pilot, everyone else in the raf is a bluntie,
To fast jet aircrew, all other aircrew + all groundtrades are blunties,
To TAC transport Aircrew, 'shiny' aircrew and all groundtrades are blunties,
To all aircrew, all groundtrades are blunties.
The rest are all blunties, so don't have an opinion worth listening to!

Rakshasa
23rd Jun 2006, 14:35
I'll say this for bluntiedom threads, they really make the studes stand out.

DKP1
23rd Jun 2006, 19:15
:D You can teach a monkey to ride a bike but you can't teach a monkey to fix one!! :D

Climebear
23rd Jun 2006, 20:39
TalktotheHand,
Whats your beef with AD. They do QRA, were involved in Telic, with CAPs in Iraq this time and the jet looks particulary sharp and pointy!
Anyway, blunties in the RAF = non-aircrew who do not go sausage side during a shooting war.

In these days of the manoeuvrist approach and asymmetric warfare that result in a non-contiguous battlespace, is there a sausage side in a modern shooting war (where is the FLOT)? I seem to recall a certain US lady in a supply convoy getting involved in a contact well behind the lead elements of the coalition land forces.

;)

:8 Can I claim house on doctrinal bullsh1t bingo now

Confucius
23rd Jun 2006, 21:22
:8 Can I claim house on doctrinal bullsh1t bingo now

Only if you'd described some militant islamic as an 'ordnance customer'.

glum
24th Jun 2006, 09:03
If we accept that the aircraft (whatever shape) is the sharp end, then those closest to it are the sharpest, those furthest away the bluntest.

The 'sharp end' is where the action happens, life gets blunter the further back you are from that.

Wonder who's the sharpest on a UAV squadron?

serf
24th Jun 2006, 09:24
so all war dodging aircrew in non-flying jobs are also blunt?

Confucius
24th Jun 2006, 09:45

Hmm, squadrons full of pasty-faced speccy tw@t computer programers with tin foil helmets, no girlfriend, dandruff and OCD. Should improve the publics perception of us :rolleyes:

Occasional Aviator
25th Jun 2006, 01:55
Perhaps there is a bit of insecurity here on the part of certain aircrew. I have commanded both aircrew and groundcrew on proper "shooting war" operations and I frankly can't see the difference. We have a lot to be proud of in the British forces - and by that I mean the people. If you haven't been on ops, then perhaps you should get some time in before you start spouting off about "those that fly and fight" - even if you have some medals, don't forget there are places where we don't count the round ones - and you don't hear "blunties" slagged off there very much if they have deployed too...

lek
25th Jun 2006, 02:49
Buntie is a friend of mine, she's always there with me when we do silly things.
Buntie makes me feel special, I love Buntie!

What?! Bluntie? Whaddya mean Bluntie? Who TF is asking about Blunties?
A bluntie is what chaps would get after lights out. Dirty Buggar!

ShyTorque
25th Jun 2006, 06:55
Is Wing Commander I.R. Blunt still around?

He once introduced the RAF's own magazine. I think he was an Admin Wallah.

Confucius
25th Jun 2006, 07:48
Perhaps there is a bit of insecurity here on the part of certain aircrew. I have commanded both aircrew and groundcrew on proper "shooting war" operations and I frankly can't see the difference. We have a lot to be proud of in the British forces - and by that I mean the people. If you haven't been on ops, then perhaps you should get some time in before you start spouting off about "those that fly and fight" - even if you have some medals, don't forget there are places where we don't count the round ones - and you don't hear "blunties" slagged off there very much if they have deployed too...

Perhaps you should lighten up and take this thread as intended!

The Helpful Stacker
25th Jun 2006, 08:25
Everyone in the British Forces except the Infantry is blunt, we're all here to support the boots on the ground folk.

The RAF as an organisation in inherently blunt, we don't have any infantry (unlike the RN) who are primarily tasked with offensive operations.

Roadster280
25th Jun 2006, 14:26
Everyone in the British Forces except the Infantry is blunt, we're all here to support the boots on the ground folk.
The RAF as an organisation in inherently blunt, we don't have any infantry (unlike the RN) who are primarily tasked with offensive operations.

I understand what you are saying, but it isnt that facile. I was Royal Signals, but it sure as hell didn't feel very blunt in Sarajevo BEFORE the infantry got there. Equally sure that the Herc crew that delivered us didn't feel like it was a blunt day's work either. In fact, I know that to be the case, because the Sqn Ldr captain came to brief us, and started with "Where's your f***ing flak jackets?". Short trip to Brueggen stores, and try again. I still have the flak jacket, and it did not feel blunt whatsoever when we did a scary dive type approach, and a hot offload. Herc on the ground less than 5 minutes.

Most of my career was blunt, but not on that tour.

Blue Suit
25th Jun 2006, 18:13
If the military does not need us 'blunties', why don't they make us all redundant then all of you at the 'sharp end' would be supported in your roles by civil servants. Then you can spend your time slagging them off instead.

dantura
25th Jun 2006, 19:40
The 'sharp end' is where the action happens, life gets blunter the further back you are from that.

It's true, the future's blunt!

D

buoy15
25th Jun 2006, 21:48
Stacker
Not quite true - Churchill instituted the RAF Regiment to protect airfields, so the army could get on with their 'propper job'
As an aside - some of the sharpest people I have liaissed with over 42 years have been on the line or in the bays - some of the bluntest have been OCU students - until I trained them of course:ok:

The Helpful Stacker
26th Jun 2006, 06:08
The Helpful Stacker,
Only a blunty could/would say what you have. Anyway, I thought the RAF Regt had a couple of infantry units.

As an ex-Infantryman I feel I can clarify my remarks.

Oh and next time you get bricked by locals whilst doing top cover on the way to Al Amara you can join me in the sharper part of the bluntie world. I guess you must be one of the grow bagged master race and feel a little miffed at being told a home truth eh?

RAF Regt are airfield defence NOT infantry. They are scaled too light to fulfil the infantry role effectively.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
26th Jun 2006, 13:36
If the military does not need us 'blunties', why don't they make us all redundant then all of you at the 'sharp end' would be supported in your roles by civil servants.
It may be opportune to point out that the Navy has been supported from shore-side by Civil Servants for a few hundred years. At sea, of course, it's Civil Servants and Merchant Seamen. The concept of Bluntie is a peculiarly Air Force thing and is probably due to the ratio of weapon Platform operators to weapon Platform supporters (do they wear coloured scarves and bobble hats while waving flags and chanting/singing?). In a warship, the "name game" grinds to a stop because the "jack dusty" in the store shares the same coffin as the boss fellah on the bridge.

I also note that the H Stacker has grasped the jointery end point;
Everyone in the British Forces except the Infantry is blunt, we're all here to support the boots on the ground folk. If you look carefully at each single service doctrine, he's pretty close.

G-BZ transmitting for QDM back to Thread!

Zoom
26th Jun 2006, 14:30
Blue Suit, you don't really want to be made redundant, do you? If so, you would not be able to join the sharpies in slagging off the Civil Servants. That's when the sharpies and the blunties show that, despite all that has gone before, they really are on the same team.

Blacksheep
27th Jun 2006, 04:49
An old Chiefy of mine served in the Western Desert during WW2. As Rommel advanced, the airstrip wasn't far enough behind the lines anymore, so the aircrew took the aircraft off to the rear while the ground crew set fire to the petrol, blew up the ammunition and drank all the beer. Then along came the retreating infantry. Protesting furiously, the RAF 'Blunties' were immediately incorporated into the infantry and joined the brown jobs at digging in. Gerry attacked and were beaten off; then came the order to counter-attack. That's how 120 RAF Blunties found themselves taking part in a bayonet charge during a frontal assault on German defensive positions.

In reality, whether you're wearing a dark blue, light blue or brown uniform, there's no such thing as a full time Bluntie. Anyone can find themselves in the front line.

I also knew a Flight Sergeant Air Gunner who was turfed out of his 205 Sqn Flying Boat to make way for a Bluntie Officer when 205 were ordered to Palembang. Left behind in Singapore he fought alongside the infantry at Woodlands until captured and imprisoned. Building railways is Bluntie work I suppose... :hmm:

Stitchbitch
27th Jun 2006, 06:02
Tourist, fist let me appologise for my choice of words. You dangled the worm and I was halfway through rush packing my bluntie kit for another OOA.:}
On a (not too) serious note, us blunties were across the border FOB'ing with the other 'none sharpies' in 2003...and we sure as hell felt pretty sharp.
Regards

Stitch

possel
27th Jun 2006, 12:16
Is Wing Commander I.R. Blunt still around?

He once introduced the RAF's own magazine. I think he was an Admin Wallah.

Ian Blunt retired as a Group Captain (at least) in the early nineties. And he was an engineer (and a great bloke too).

Back to the thread, you guys really are spouting a load of cr@p. I am so glad that I left the RAF a good while ago and let the two-winged master race sort out who was sharpest on their own. Most aircrew I knew were never team players at the best of times.

BTW, does being called "grow-bags" still annoy you? I notice no-one has mentioned it amongst all the other names you have used for everyone else.

Glass Half Empty
27th Jun 2006, 14:32
I believe all those who are blunt are the ones who stay in beyond their option point as the sharp ones get out and do something else for more money

Lara crofts pants
27th Jun 2006, 17:34
What is a bluntie?

Well, it depends on where you sit in your self perceived food chain does it not?
e.g. A Harrier pilot maybe thinks that he can call everyone else a bluntie. However, an F3 or GR4 pilot would feel able to refer to only truckies (of which I am one) and below by the same tag.

Us truckie types then feel that we have to find someone to pick on too and so, more often than not, the movers cop it. It arises from the fact that every trade feels that it must be superior to some other trades in some way and continues down past PTIs, Admin staff, RAF Police and er, um ....

Well, you tell me

rock_dove
27th Jun 2006, 18:11
SERCO???!:E

Safety_Helmut
27th Jun 2006, 19:22
Happy to let the growbags debate this one, let them have their own views on who/what constitutes a blunty. Then some @rse posts this b0ll0cks:Everyone in the British Forces except the Infantry is blunt, we're all here to support the boots on the ground folk.

Well I'm as blunt as one can get, working at sunny Wyton, but there are many others who aren't.

Safety_Helmut

Confucius
27th Jun 2006, 20:23
What is a bluntie?
Well, it depends on where you sit in your self perceived food chain does it not?
e.g. A Harrier pilot maybe thinks that he can call everyone else a bluntie. However, an F3 or GR4 pilot would feel able to refer to only truckies (of which I am one) and below by the same tag.
Us truckie types then feel that we have to find someone to pick on too and so, more often than not, the movers cop it. It arises from the fact that every trade feels that it must be superior to some other trades in some way and continues down past PTIs, Admin staff, RAF Police and er, um ....
Well, you tell me

Looks kinda' familiar...

guess I shoulda' ended my post with a ©

Lara crofts pants
27th Jun 2006, 20:39
Oooops, maybe I should have read all the pages!! :\

Climbing the ladder back to my box now!

Confucius
28th Jun 2006, 11:23
Not a problem, Great minds think alike!

Radar Muppet
28th Jun 2006, 11:38
....someone who feels the need to discuss how blunt others are on a website.

Number2
28th Jun 2006, 12:39
Here bloody here!!

Lara crofts pants
28th Jun 2006, 12:41
Oooooohhh......somebody's tired:)

Confucius
28th Jun 2006, 13:09
I think someone meant hear, hear! :E

Lara crofts pants
28th Jun 2006, 13:19
Either that, or Number2 has a disobedient sheepdog.

Number2
28th Jun 2006, 16:27
Labrador cross actually! ISS was wasted on me!!

snapper41
29th Jun 2006, 08:05

Hmmm - suggest you take a look at Bomber and Fighter Command histories from WW2; try telling a sgt or FS Lancaster pilot over Berlin that he was 'unwilling to accept responsibility', or the sgt or FS acting as a flt cdr in the Battle of Britain, because he had more experience than the officers...

BellEndBob
29th Jun 2006, 11:52
Snapper.

Good point, well made.

Was in the company of a one star once (FJP) who stated to all present:

'SNCO's have never flown fighters and nor shall they whilst I am in the RAF'.

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Green Flash
29th Jun 2006, 12:34
'SNCO's have never flown fighters and nor shall they whilst I am in the RAF'.

I thought Ginger Lacy was a Sgt, for one? And wasn't Pattle as well? I'm sur e there were others. Sound like BellEnds one star was a bit of a kn*b.

Confucius
29th Jun 2006, 13:41
There were plenty of NCO fighter jocks in WWII

Not sure they were allowed pipes & labradors though.

Wyler
29th Jun 2006, 14:27
This happened today.

A draw in my officer is stuck. I e-mailed the Warrant Officers gofa to see if it could be sorted.
He sent an e-mail, copied to supply, stating that the whole cabinet needs replacing, there are no funds that he is aware of and the last time he asked supply they said it could take months.

No problem, it's only a poxy draw.

One hour later I get a phone call from the civilian supply manager. He is fuming at the provocative and hurtful comments made by this NCO casting doubt on the willingness and professionalism of his staff. He even thinks some of the comments may warrant, wait for it, legal advice. His barrack warden is threatening redress of said NCO. I told him his reaction is baffling and OTT. This was followed up by a 6 paragraph e-mail from manager detailing his woes and demanding that said NCO produces a written and verbal apology to all his staff.
As things stand now, some 4 hours later, it is still escalating.

I don't normally get involved in Blunty V Sharp end debates but this kind of mind numbing sh*t, along with JPA et al is really making me question where we are headed. God forbid these ars*holes ever have to deal with a real problem.

The really sad thing is this so called manager will probably get his apology, because 'we' are sh*t scared of upsetting the civilians, which will only encourage him to become an even bigger f*ckwit than he is now.

Incredible.

talktothehand
29th Jun 2006, 14:54
Wow - an officer with a draw in him/her - what ever next! :eek: . Bet this never happened when supply was run by uniformed blunties!

Safety_Helmut
29th Jun 2006, 15:39
Wyler

For what it's worth, I have been in the position of being asked to apologise to a particularly useless, pathetic, oxygen stealing civvy, even though my boss had fully backed me up. I flatly refused to apologise on principle, w@nkers!

S_H

FOMere2eternity
29th Jun 2006, 15:41
A draw in my officer is stuck.

For some I have met, file storage would be well above their capabilities...

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
30th Jun 2006, 06:48
Wyler.

I bet your rugger shirt, jeans and trainer wearing, thin skinned "supply manager" can spell drawer, though.

G B Z

talktothehand
30th Jun 2006, 08:40
And use the appropriate punctuation and grammar! I love irony.

CofG
4th Jul 2006, 10:29
Simple,

Blunties are those officers who love wearing their two's and feel the need to cut around wearing a stable belt and Oxpat shoes with annoying metal tipped heals! whats wrong with painted DMS?

Cumbrian Fell
6th Jul 2006, 11:12
CofG

Why Oxfords? Because an officer shouldn't be seen dead in Airmen's DMS shoes. Would you ever wear rubber soled 'el-cheapo' shoes in civies? On second thoughts, perhaps you do!

midsomerjambo
6th Jul 2006, 12:11
It's funny but I spent around 10 years as a radio/radar tech variously on Jags, Vulcans and Tornados and in all that time I don't think I ever heard any aircrew refer to us aircraft techs (or other ground trades, for that matter) as "blunties". Is this a fairly recently introduced term or am I suffering selective memory loss? BTW, by recently I mean introduced after 1987 (God, was it really that long ago I left?:uhoh:).

Re. the remark above somewhere about each group liking to lord it over some other group - yes, we were just as guilty in disparagingly referring to any non-aircraft ground trades as "shinies" - something to do with the effect on the seat of their pants of too long spent sitting at a desk. Oh yes, and the airframes and engines techs (the "real" aircraft engineers) referred to us as "fairies" (and probably still do).

The Helpful Stacker
6th Jul 2006, 17:36
CofG
Why Oxfords? Because an officer shouldn't be seen dead in Airmen's DMS shoes. Would you ever wear rubber soled 'el-cheapo' shoes in civies? On second thoughts, perhaps you do!

Ahh Oxford shoes with segs on, the bane of fuel hazard areas across the RAF.

EP99j
6th Jul 2006, 17:52
I cant believe you even have to ask what a "bluntie" is!!!
It doesnt really matter if you run the DAG from the comfort of your tent albeit in some dump desert somewhere = bluntie!
Convoy driver (all respect due) but probably still a stacker/engineer/admin bod = bluntie.
A leopard cant change its spots. A bluntie cant get over that they are not aircrew.
The RAF is all about projecting Air Power. Those that dont project Air Power support those that do!
Abuse inbound but happy to merge with it!!! :cool:

Do Navigators still exist, I remember that we used to think of them as living ballast. If they do,do they qualify as honorary blunties? After all, sitting in the back pressing switches must be rather like doing the same thing in an ATC tower, or indeed, tent. After all, no worries about an RPG coming through the side at 15,000 ft, what?

( Now, THAT will get things going!!)

Regards

F.O. Kite ( Retd)

sonicstomp
6th Jul 2006, 18:49
Deliverance - Good to hear from you, thought this would be right up your alley!

Bluntie = non-aircrew (RAF), that simple.....iaw Aircrew Dictionary

For those non-aircrew who think they aren't blunt - "doth protest too much methinks!"

:E

Hope to see more constructive posts like this one! :ok:

Blacksheep
7th Jul 2006, 02:48
Blunt and proud, we are. D'you want us to save you drop of beer for when (and if) you get back from being shot at?

Get stuck in lads, we're all thinking about you down here on the ground, aren't we? Eh? My round again? Bloody hell... :ok:

Lara crofts pants
7th Jul 2006, 06:23
A 58 year old expat engineer. I think we may have found THE definitive definition of blunt.