PDA

View Full Version : Entry Requirements

gconatyuk
22nd Jun 2006, 12:48
Hello

I have always been interested in a career in aviation. This, over the years has changed from wanting to become a pilot to having an interest in a career as an ATCO. Unfortunately when i left college a couple of years ago i did not leave with the required minimum qualifications required to apply to become an ATCO. I am now looking at studying for my A levels prior to making an application in a few years time and was looking for some advice as to which, if any, subjects are more favoured than others when applying and whether or not there are minimum grades required or if, as i understand it, you are required to have only taken the course through to examination level.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Graham

chrisbeckett2004
22nd Jun 2006, 12:51
Apprently:

"You should be at least 18 and under 30 at the time you apply. Applicants over 30 with extensive relevant aviation experience may also be considered."

"You should have five GCSEs (A-C)/S grades (1-3), and have completed a period of study at a higher level, such as two A levels, an Advanced GNVQ or the equivalent, or be in your final year of study."

gconatyuk
22nd Jun 2006, 13:17
I am due to undertake a foundation degree relevant to my current occupation which is due to start in October 2006 and finish in October 2008. Would this be classed as a period of higher study and be suitable for the minimum qualifications required prior to application?

dbounford
22nd Jun 2006, 13:54
I would have thought the only subjects that would be vaguely helpful would be maths, physics and possibly geography. But to be honest you're probably best doing ones that you know you will pass (would be a shame to do a year's study to fail at the end).

gconatyuk
23rd Jun 2006, 05:39
The only reason i ask this is because i have one of two options:

1. Undergo an A level course in order to reach the minimum qualifications required prior to application

2. Undergo a foundation degree based around ym current occupation.

If a foundation degree is accepted as a form of higher study in the same way as the A levels are then i will do that.

Many thanks

Graham

Itsjustaride
23rd Jun 2006, 15:02
Graham

As far as i understand the education system, A Foundation Degree is a higher level qualification than any A-Level.

And specifically in regards to NATS, i don't think it makes much difference as long as you have attempted the studying, I did three A-levels (OK, it was 12 years ago) but i didn't pass any of them. I start my ATCO training next Monday.

Why don't you apply online now and see what happens, if they tell you you aren't qualified enough, you'll be eligible to reapply in a years time, so this will give you the time to take any relevant courses.

From what i've seen so far, i agree that Maths (Statistics) and Physics type courses will do you the most good.

Cheers Pete.

gconatyuk
23rd Jun 2006, 16:26
Pete

Thanks very much for the information. Im going to make some enquiries into cmpleting the foundation degree with my current occupation or undergoing an A level course on a part time distance learning basis. Either way ill be applying within the next couple of years as it is something i have always wanted to do along with the occupation i am currently in.

Best of luck with your ATCO training.

Cheers

Graham

gconatyuk
24th Jun 2006, 12:33
After taking into account fnancial implications, duration of courses and more ive enrolled on a coupleof distance learning A level courses in Law and Psychology. Although they aren't related to my possible future career as an ATCO they are both subjects i have prior experience in both as a student and in my current occuptation. Im hoping to spend the next 12 months studying for these qualifications and then applying to either NATS or EUROCONTROL after that.