PDA

View Full Version : London controllers - Puddlejumper Routing help please

IFollowRoads
21st Jun 2006, 14:05
I am likely to be routing EGLM to LFSB tomomrrow and the logical route trying to keep out of the way of LL and keeping the track miles down would be OCAS to join somewhere between Biggin or Dover. Last time I tried this, I was vectored south past Goodwood (in a climb that I would have thought put me in the awkward height for the KK extended centreline) and then vectored to KONAN. I don't have a problem with this, but it makes my planning easier (for ETA's and fuel etc) if I PLOG something a bit more similar to that will be flown.
Given that the weather outlook at the moment makes VFR a possibility but unlikely for the whole route, and I'm constrained by no turbo/de-ice, would any of the London/Swanwick controllers like to give me a hint how to make things easier - hopefully for both of us?
TIA

Over+Out
21st Jun 2006, 14:59
If you are routeing via DVR, I would suggest you file via BIG, remaining outside CAS. Work LL SVFR and then say you want to work Thames Radar and request a joining clearance for CAS after BIG. If you request to join before this, it may well be refused as the TMA is so busy.(LL , SVFR and Thames Radar sit next to each other at LTCC, West Drayton).
Hope it works, enjoy your flight.

AlanM
21st Jun 2006, 15:23
Obviously it will depend on the time of day that you fly, but remember that Thames Radar are too busy at times to do this. PLAN to join after BIG on track DET-DVR if you want - but don't be surprised if you don't get anything.

Also, don't bother calling SVFR tomorrow - it is the busiest day of Ascot races and the zones are PPR anyway. You will also need to speak to Biggin Hill for clearance through their ATZ and probably only get a FIS from Thames.

There is an element of luck involved really - as if you had asked for that routeing today you would have had no chance for most of the day as Biggin and City were busy. Add in all the extra Battersea movements and you fall way down in the priority stakes.

For Thames to get anyone into CAS they have to ring the Assistant to get a strip, get your plan activated, then ring the en-route sector to get you a climb and integrate if possible into CAS.

Thames only have CAS BIG-DET and North - so you may find it easier to go GWC tomorrow. Especially if you want to get into CAS under a radar service before reaching DVR.

Good luck.

eyeinthesky
21st Jun 2006, 18:58
You might have more luck if you plan to go north of the LL zone (not much difference in track miles) and join at BPK to route LAM-DET-DVR. There's a good chance you will get fitted in towards BPK and be above the LTMA departures by the time you get to LAM.

Probably best to see if you can persuade Farnborough or Luton Radar to coordinate your entry with TC rather than getting London FIS to do it (radar to radar vs information to radar).

Good luck.

Over+Out
21st Jun 2006, 19:45
Routeing via BPK would not be a very good idea.Too much traffic on this route. See the response from the Thames Radar Controller.
Take your chance, route either via GWC or BIG.
If your route takes you via TRACA, another option would be route to LYD outside CAS and ask 'London Information (124.6?)' for a joining clearance.
Good Luck

Point Seven
21st Jun 2006, 20:40
Contacting Thames Radio can be a bit of a hit and miss affair - the type of service you get will frequently depend on the difficulty of AlanM's crossword....

P7

AlanM
21st Jun 2006, 21:19
:D ..........and the last time we spoke co-ordinating on the phone who was still dreaming of Company Rag fame.....!! :) :ok:

IFollowRoads
22nd Jun 2006, 06:00
Many thanks for all the suggestions and help. As the weather outlook seems better now than it did yesterday, (and a destination change, which requires a 'Les Douanes' stop) I'll go V for today and keep out of you hair altogether, and as its so busy in Mig alley, will route south of KK to avoid the scrum.

Keep up the good work!

chevvron
22nd Jun 2006, 06:30
If you're in something faster than a Cherokee, take a look in the AIP at Farnborough departure routes via Dover and plan to use this route, calling Farnborough asap after departure.