PDA

View Full Version : ATC view of FPL alternate

Miles Magister
21st Jun 2006, 13:33
I would like to ask you controller chaps what notice or action you take over alternates when a FPL is filled.

The reason for the question is that I have seen many occassions this year where GA opertators have filed FPLs with a nominated alternate which is either closed, has restrictive NOTAMs (ILS u/s, VFR only etc) or is even NOTAMed as not to be used as a diversion for various reasons.

What does CFMU, NATS, individual airfields or any other interested party do about nominated alternates when an FPL is filed?

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

MM

Chilli Monster
21st Jun 2006, 15:31
Quick answer is - not a lot.

Diversion airfields aren't on the address list for a Flight Plan unless specifically requested by the operator, or unless it's manually addressed by someone in your departure airfields AIS who is feeling helpful. On that basis if someone picks an unsuitable alternate - that's their problem. They will only get told about the unsuitability if that alternate gets a copy of the plan

I know what you mean - I've seen this happen in the past when the airfield I've been at has been included on the address list (we were due to close an hour before they would even have got airborne!), and we've had to try and get a message to the pilot that we can't be his alternate. Taking a somewhat heartless line I'm afraid if they can't plan properly then they ask for whatever happens.

chevvron
22nd Jun 2006, 06:47
It's the pilot's responsibility to ensure his nominated alternate is suitable and available; as has been said, the FPL does NOT go to the alternate thus the alternate can have no responsibility to inform the pilot if it's not available. The RAF method of 'booking' diversions either en masse or for a particular aircraft has a lot of advantages, but it's very time consuming and not manpower efficient.
At my airfield, we sometimes have to delve into the inbound FPL for aircraft which will arrive after we close in order to suggest and warn a suitable diversion.

Miles Magister
22nd Jun 2006, 12:30
Thank you

MM

Scott Voigt
22nd Jun 2006, 12:42
In the US we have no clue as to your alternate until you tell us where you are having to divert too <G>...

regards

Scott

Pierre Argh
25th Jun 2006, 11:47
One point... if you are nominating an airfield that is PPR as your alternate, filing a flight-plan may not constitute PPR?

Top tip: Best to phone and obtain provisional clearance before commiting.

chevvron
25th Jun 2006, 13:59
There are several civil airfields (with private rather than public licences) in the Civil AIP (mine included) which have this annotation.