PDA

View Full Version : Garmin eTrex

34'
21st Jun 2006, 12:38
Anyone out there have a Garmin eTrex Vista Cx or similar? Looking for a non-aviation small handheld, although used for flying. Swing the ideas this way :)

cheers

34'

magbreak
21st Jun 2006, 12:58
I used to have an Etrex Legend which I had in the aircraft. Haven't used it for a while as I upgraded to an Ipaq with GPS sleeve.

The legend worked fine and the tracks can be downloaded into the Mapsource software to see where you've been.

B Sousa
21st Jun 2006, 13:35
34'
While working with the USGS on some field projects we always used one for backup and initial locations of places we had to work. It never failed and was always on target.
Its a good choice for off airport locations.
Im sort of one who likes Garmin. I use a 2720 in my cars and all the company aircraft have them. How did I get cross country without them.

WASALOADIE
21st Jun 2006, 13:36
The etrex legend is great for walking or biking, but doesn't update quick enough for anything faster and the display is also not as good as some of the more modern PDA's yet it is weather proof.
I've just bought a MIO P350 (drop me a pm for the web address) with memory map and a 2Gb SD card you can use 1:250000 and OS 50000/25000 overlays and all in clour, accuracy down to 5ft and it will store tracks and can cope with most speeds.

DanglyBob
21st Jun 2006, 19:12
Excellent for hiing/sailing, OK for a car, but not really for aircraft. I've found mine doesn't like being inside either. Happy right next to a window, but better outside.

Also has a tendency to eat batteries.

ioanj
21st Jun 2006, 21:03
Hi,
I've tried a couple of eTrexs and several magellans out climbing. After losing 1 eTrax and destroying another (dropped down a cliff) I got a cheap magellan 300 instead. Despite it being an older design I actually prefer it; easier to use with gloves on, more basic. Gives you just lat / long or OSGB reference of your current position and can point you to another place if you want. Also pretty bombproof (touch wood) and batteries last about 20 hours constant use.
For flying though I wouldnt consider either particularly suitable. I used to take the eTrex up as a kind of backup, but after attempting to program it whilst airborne in a 22 one day I gave up and stuck with the skymap instead.
Maybe some of the bigger moving map units or PDAs could be better?

34'
21st Jun 2006, 21:39
Anyone using one of those?

34'

Going off the etrex as tried one today and too fiddly with the buttons on the side .