PDA

View Full Version : DC-9 rating?

european champion
21st Jun 2006, 11:51
Hello,i am considering to do a DC-9 rating.Anyone can recommend a training centre?(cost would be one of my primary considerations)

boogie-nicey
21st Jun 2006, 12:51
I think I have some info regarding the DC-9 but it is for FAA pilots but maybe the same test centres would also offer JAA courses too, maybe ?

Phileas Fogg
21st Jun 2006, 13:38
How about an extinct aeroplane being another of your considerations :)

boogie-nicey
21st Jun 2006, 15:27
Now, now Phileas lets not start ridiculing the poor chap/lass :)
Each to their own and I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation for it.

:ok:

bafanguy
21st Jun 2006, 15:46
and I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation for it.
:ok:

Yes, perhaps a job waiting at the end of the training ? Admittedly, the DC9 is a bit of a dinosaur...but still a great airplane.

So, what's your plan, EC ?

boogie-nicey
21st Jun 2006, 16:05
yep that's what I meant a 'job' :ok:

european champion
21st Jun 2006, 18:24
Boogey nice which training centre are you talking about?I have faa license too but i would prefer to do it out of usa for various reasons.
Any idea about any training centre in europe or south africa?

boogie-nicey
22nd Jun 2006, 08:42
Let me look through some old archives and see if I have any info on that. In the meantime keep smiling the sun's out :ok:

european champion
22nd Jun 2006, 10:32
It doesnt have to be an approved course.I did a search,i think Alitalia and Iberia have these simulators,i need to ask them if they can provide training but i cant find the contacts of their training centres,can someone help?

Phileas Fogg
22nd Jun 2006, 11:26
EC,
It takes a minimum of 2 pilots to complete a type rating thus you'll probably have to find yourself a training partner.

european champion
22nd Jun 2006, 13:14
You are right about this,i just called a company that does training for SAS and does this type and they told me the same thing.

bafanguy
22nd Jun 2006, 14:20
You are right about this,i just called a company that does training for SAS and does this type and they told me the same thing.

EC,

Could these companies provide a guy with a "seat filler" from their instructor staff if you can't find a partner ? I've heard of this being done in the States. Of course, it increases the cost to you.

gooneydog
22nd Jun 2006, 14:31
Have a -9 type and about 4000 hours in it wonder if I could sell as I don't use it now :}

mellowflyer
29th Jun 2006, 00:34
I'll ride shotgun with you if it's in the usa, got 5000 hours pic in dc-9's, just downgraded to crj 200

Treetopflyer
1st Jul 2006, 07:56
There was a DC9-32 sim in High Wycombe, UK, did my MCC on it in 2002. Apparently it was mostly used by Iberia as they still had the old -9s. Wonder what happened to it, but it may still be there, up to you to find an instructor/examiner if you don't need an approved course.