PDA

View Full Version : Business class

EZYJET2006
21st Jun 2006, 11:13
Hi there, not really related to the cabin crew forum but just wanted to know if anyone has done a flight to australia from london in business class.

Just wanted to know how they found it, what airline it was? was it worth it?

Thinking of going to visit family.

Thanks

FormerFlyer
21st Jun 2006, 19:42
Yup in Royal Brunei before they upgraded their fleet to the current config. Was bloomin' decent & comfy enough. Think it helped that we had 3 sectors instead of 2 (like what I've done before and they just draaaaagggg!).

Got upgraded on last sector inbound AUH-LHR to first due overbooking in J....was super luxurious, but they don't have those seats anymore.

Hubby has used them since in the new config in J & he liked them still. He's also done BA First to SYD on a day trip there...said it was great but you get left alone, so he didn't eat for hours coz didn't know he had to ask for what he wanted :E

We have also used BA on Club as far as BKK then WT+ the rest of the way...hmm if I could afford it, I would go Club but they're not cheap!

Or if it's the same money then go VS Upper....you'll love it!

cheers ;)
FF

angels
22nd Jun 2006, 08:20
A couple of times, once with Singapore Airlines, once with Cathay.

Both were excellent -- and importantly, not paid for by me.

Business class return to Syders is an arm and a leg!

Bangkokeasy
22nd Jun 2006, 08:20
Yes, done that route a few times. I would recommend to choose an airline with decent business class seats, such as QF, BA, or SQ. Also, try to use one that stops only once, which probably means transitting in either Singapore or Bangkok. I wouldn't do such a long trip at all, if I couldn't sit in Business. 24 hours in an economy seat, crammed next to some sweaty snoring holiday maker - no thanks, I'd rather swim! :=

Globaliser
22nd Jun 2006, 10:30
Hi there, not really related to the cabin crew forum but just wanted to know if anyone has done a flight to australia from london in business class.

Just wanted to know how they found it, what airline it was? was it worth it?I've done this in QF business from time to time; either award upgrades or operational upgrades. It's a great way to fly, although not having paid the full whack in cash for it tends to dull ones critical tendencies.

But I don't think that I'd pay the money for this. I personally have no problem with doing it in QF economy, which is my normal place on the aircraft - and seeing as I choose to do it for leisure travel two or three times a year, I do put my money where my mouth is.

However, one thing that I did at the beginning of this year was a return flight in BA's World Traveller Plus. If you can get this for a reasonable premium over normal economy fares, it is well worth while. I would spend my money on this, but I don't think that I'd pay cash for business class.

patdavies
22nd Jun 2006, 10:38
If you want to travel business (or first) to OZ, then look at round the world flights. These are considerable cheaper that a normal return.

RTW Business is around £3K and first £5K

Elwood Senese
22nd Jun 2006, 11:42
I've taken the choice, mainly down to the fact that as I get older I cannot face 'down the back' anymore. Plus I have more spare cash.
VS Upper to SYD over Christmas to see the Ashes has just cost me £3k. Lot of money you could say, but, booked using a VS card; the miles awarded alone (~50k), are halfway to my next reward Upper to SFO.

zed3
22nd Jun 2006, 16:02
We do not fly longhaul if we cannot go Business Class . I have learned this over the years through upgrades and now will not go on Economy for flights over 4 hours or so . Having said that I pay a normal fare for our tickets and have discovered that Emirates , Lufthansa , Condor , LTU and other airlines (in Europe) have good fares if you are prepared to search on internet and put a little thought into the situation . Some of the so called charter - Condor / LTU - companies have compatible Business cabins with great food , seating and service - cabin staff attitude and service IS important .

firemac
22nd Jun 2006, 16:35
I do LHR to Sydney 2 or 3 times a year in Bus Class with BA & QF. Both good. Wouldn't dream of going steerage for 24 hrs!! Reckon VS probably just as good but have only flown with them Upper Class to HK & back. Mind you their A340 doesn't seem as rock steady & comfy as the 744 but, hey, what do I know? I only do a couple dozen long-hauls a year.

gdiphil
22nd Jun 2006, 16:40
Like Globaliser I travel to Sydney from LHR two or three times a year. I also usually use QF economy since I am paying for the fare, and it is perfectly satisfactory from a leg room point of view. One stop each way so I find the journey quite reasonable. However I once travelled first and business class on an award ticket with Thai. I cannot say I found the journey any better other than the fact that I could use the lounge in Bangkok to have a shower. In August I'm using Malaysian in economy and they have a 34" economy pitch. I notice at the same time for about £1400 VS premium economy is available which may be worth looking at. Under no circumstances would I ever use BA economy now. Their pitch is very tight indeed with hardly any room under the seat in front due to the entertainment system.

Avman
22nd Jun 2006, 18:34
I fly mainly for leisure these days, and like Zed3, it's strictly Business Class for long hauls. I'll also take the equivalent, as offered by LTU for example, for shorter trips such as Faro, Madrid or the Canaries. Recently I took a 3 day weekday trip to Madrid with LTU (from DUS) and paid only GBP 150 (all incl)return in their Comfort Class. Good value. Iberia wanted GBP 900 for the same trip IN ECONOMY CLASS !!! On the subject of UK - Australia, have you considered KLM? BHX-AMS-KUL-SYD (KLM / MALAYSIAN combination) comes to GBP 2,550 (priced for NOV/2006). Whilst KLM may not quite match the standards offered by some (more expensive) carriers, I personally find their C class product reasonable for that kind of price.

OverRun
22nd Jun 2006, 20:53
Just got off Malaysian - business class to Perth OZ. What an absolute pleasure. Done this a few times now with them. I have to pay myself, and pay the full whack, so I look quite closely at what I get. The fare actually isn't too bad on Malaysian compared to BA, QF and Singapore. As I look around the cabin, I get the feeling that there are quite a few punters that are paying for themselves and so have chosen the Malaysian option.

Love their service, and the cabin crew are all very pleasant. Their new B777s are a whole leap forward compared to the 747s (and it must be said to the A340s of Virgin and SAA). Great lie flat seats that only slope a little bit. Loads of legroom. It sounds silly, but their signature 'satays' are a memorable treat. The business class main toilet is big enough to practice ballroom dancing in. It makes even the simplest task of shaving an absolute pleasure. Mile high club? I getting too old for that, but you could make that a 'mile high team' if you wanted.

At the stopover in KL, you can get a shower in the lounge (free business class access) which makes a real difference. It says something when my wife talks as much about the great flight as she does about shopping in Paris or doing some tourist bit in XYZ or wherever. Re Avman's commnet - the last leg from KL-PER was a code share with KLM.

firemac
23rd Jun 2006, 07:26
I agree with OverRun re MAS value -vs- BA et al. Use MAS a few times a year LHR to KL & they are very, very good. Just hope that their continuing economic troubles do not have lasting effects - but these problems may be the result of the good value for money that they give!
Re KLM, one of our guys have used them twice now to KL from UK & on both occasions they managed to send his bags elsewhere. Maybe too much wacky backy amongst Schipol's handlers....... Not the first time I've heard of probs at Schipol.
Personally I find KLM a bit drab & the CC lacking in any kind of enthusiasm. CC's blue rubber aprons seem somewhat clinical - makes you think they're gonna hose down the cabin after dinner. :)

1DC
24th Jun 2006, 12:55
Go to Oz every year at my own expense and as we prefer to travel in business we look for companion fare deals. China eastern are the cheapest by far but i haven't read a decent report about them so haven't travelled with them and don't intend to at the moment. If you look for deals on a regular basis you should spot one, we generally fly Malaysian and i can recommend them. We have flown Qantas business, very good but usually too expensive for me.Austrian are a reasonable price I haven't used them yet but would be happy to, apparantly excellent food but no flat beds. Gulf air can be good value to Sydney. I believe Royal Brunei are very comfortable and a reasonable price, although i am not sure if they serve booze (if that is important to you)..Cathay occasionally have offers. Never seen any for Thai, Singapore,Virgin or BA.. Saw a decent fare with JAL once.It was JAL from UK to Japan and then Qantas to Oz, but Malaysian had a better one at the time..
I am not a fan of Emirates would use them if the price was right..

SkyFish
27th Jun 2006, 06:37
re Cathay, while I think they have the best service/crew, if youre tall the seats don't quite fully recline. Makes a big difference long haul.

Would go Virgin if get a good deal personally as get full sleeper kit as well