PDA

View Full Version : Ground school in UK Flying training in USA?

Dan_Dare
21st Jun 2006, 00:26
Hi, I have been considering training to fly in the USA but I don't like the idea of sitting extra ground exams on the return to the UK! Would it possible to do my ground study exams in the UK and then just do the Flying in the USA? Or would I still have to sit USA ground exams in order to take the practical tests?
Appreciate anyones input. Thanks:}

potkettleblack
21st Jun 2006, 07:59
Are you talking PPL ground exams under the CAA/JAA system? If so then yes many people have done them in the UK before venturing over to the US to do an intensive 3 or 4 week PPL. Do a search through the private flying forums as its been asked many many times. Some UK schools will be quite helpful others will be annoyed that you don't want to pay them an outrageous amount of money and take up to a year to do your PPL with them. I have a vague recollection that there might be some online resources to help you bone up on the exams now in addition to the confuser publications that are available from pilot shops.

Rob82
21st Jun 2006, 11:45
If your talking about PPL training then many schools in the US are also approved by the CAA, meaning you can take the CAA english exams along with the flight training all while over there. I got my ppl at ormond beach and done all the exams over there in 3 weeks intensive (with the help of the confuser!!!)

Dan_Dare
21st Jun 2006, 13:28
I was planning to take the exams under the JAA system. I was thinking about doing the ground study and exams with London Met Uni as an evening course. If you know where I can find the online resources potkettleblack that would be great.

Rob82, I looked at Ormond Beach it looks really good and quite cheap too. The only thing I was concerned about with doing my ground school exams abroad was if I was to not pass them in the time given and it ends up costing me loads to stay on. How did you find it doing them in that short time?

Thanks for your advice guys:) :)

Paris Dakar
21st Jun 2006, 14:01
Dan_Dare,

I went down the intensive 21 day course offered by OBA and there was sufficient time to get the exams out of the way. I would however suggest that if you do want to reduce some of the pressure then you could explore the option of doing some of the exams before you go.

Rob82
21st Jun 2006, 14:23
Dan_Dare

For a few weeks before i went to OBA i studied a lot of theory and a good chunk of the PPL confuser. If i remember there are videos at OBA to watch to help with the exams but i never had any problems with doing them in the time provided. I decided to push all the exams and get them done in the first week so if i did have any problems i had more than enough time to sort out the resits.

One thing about flying in the USA is the airspace restrictions are a lot less as compared to the UK so be prepared to do a few hours once back to get into the swing of it!!

Rob82

Dan_Dare
21st Jun 2006, 16:09
That's great thanks guys, really helpful advice. Just ordering my PPL confuser now! :ok: