PDA

View Full Version : TOP GUN 2

MEON VALLEY FLYER
20th Jun 2006, 19:40
Not sure if this belong here on in spotters land.

But while talking with little brother, the subject came up. Why no top-gun 2 movie.

Did they ever look at it ? no / bad script ? little tom turn it down ? or have we just become far to p/c for a shoot up the reds type movie ?

Also a little movie ad on. Said little brother watched a recent dvd within the last year he said was a top war flim. in it a yank carrier was sunk and nukes used. I want a to get a copy, but he can't remember the tittle, anyone ?

Germstone
20th Jun 2006, 19:50
in it a yank carrier was sunk and nukes used. I want a to get a copy, but he can't remember the tittle, anyone ?

sounds a bit like "by dawns early light"

nukes in it and a carrier does get sunk

diginagain
20th Jun 2006, 19:57
'By Dawn's Early Light' sounds about right - with a rather tidy Rebecca deMornay.

MEON VALLEY FLYER
20th Jun 2006, 20:01
Sorry chaps, it was a fairly recent film. Certainly no wooden acting becky. That was a good film, have it on dvd. But it really was a bit stiff (i didn't know if to laugh or cry when JEJ gave that salute before crashing into AF1), needed a slim pickins (sp) aka ride that nuke cowboy to liven it up:p

SASless
20th Jun 2006, 21:00
Not an aviation film necessarily but a very good account (by Hollywood standards anyway) of a fight for a hill in Vietnam....Hamburger Hill. Took place this time of the year all those years ago. Recent visit there by Ollie North and some participants from both sides was quite moving. One Platoon Leader from the 101st Airborne discribed looking up at the hill after fifth or sixth day of fighting and seeing North Vietnamese cook fires all over the hill. The mountain was the location of an NVA Regimental Base camp and hospital.

There are some excellent shots of Hueys flying....just no "Flight of the Valkries" thank goodness. The film is rated as being one of the best dealing with Vietnam.

L J R
20th Jun 2006, 21:09
As all the jet jocks have left and joined Virgin, maybe Top Gun 2 should be based on a trans atlantic 1v1 jostle for the easrly slot at JFK.

Throw in a love interest between 2 gay trolly dollies and you have an all round flick.

Muldrake
20th Jun 2006, 21:32
Yup, Sum of all fears.

Carrier not sunk though, but it does get nailed by a few missiles.

Great book btw...

BossEyed
20th Jun 2006, 21:34
TG2 was made - the title was "Iceman: The Later Years (http://youtube.com/watch?v=8MkOPCGYizQ&search=iceman)"
:}

glum
20th Jun 2006, 22:30
Classic!:D

Arm out the window
21st Jun 2006, 01:07
Nice work...'That's right....I AM dangerous!'

Like This - Do That
21st Jun 2006, 02:51
The sexual tension, the panoramic scenery, cinematography, Iceman and Maverick ...... wasn't that Brokeback Mt?

Top Bum II - Brokeback Squadron

Gainesy
21st Jun 2006, 07:26
And the only pussy in sight a Jaguar. Rated XXXI.:E

Aeronut
21st Jun 2006, 07:39
Top Gun 2? Well this might satisfy?

:ok:

"No one has yet done the ultimate aerial battle film with these kinds of aircraft," Devlin said

http://www.flyboysthemovie.com/index2.htm

Indie ‘Flyboys’ takes off: Franco, Reno set to star in WWI drama By Michael Fleming

James Franco and Jean Reno are set to star in "Flyboys," a $60 million WWI drama to be directed by Tony Bill. Production is set to start April 18 in the U.K.

Apparently filmed at RAF Halton and Salisbury plain.

BellEndBob
21st Jun 2006, 07:57
There was a Brit version of Top Gun.

First half hour of the movie concentrated on the new crew trying to get a station car pass without having first submitted a Visit Instruction. It then moves on to the challenges of the H&S arrival brief with a very fierce looking Flt Sgt.
We then get into the meat of the action with a day on CCS where the new bloods learn some invaluable combat skills such as how to resusitate a plastic dummy and survive a direct hit from a nuclear weapon.
Suddenly, radar picks up a bad guy in a heavily armed jet heading towards the houses of Parliament intent on doing great harm. Pieman and Wizzer leap into their mighty Tonka ready to do battle. They leap out 2 minutes later as it is U/S and leap, panting, into the second jet which has a dodgy radio and a 'leak'. Meanwhile the bad guy is descending and accelerating. Our heroes taxi out, only to be held up by Bristol UAS aircraft on a famil flight. Once airborne, our saviours request a heading for the bad guy. 'Stand By' is the call from Fighter Control, who then give 10 minutes of cutting edge stranger warnings about traffic 50 miles away and 30000 feet above. Undeterred, our Tonka streaks through the air, clipping Newcastle CTR and Fylingdales HIRTA as it goes. The action concludes with a mighty air combat battle over Ely, below 20K and VMC, all to the theme of 'The Archers'.
Our heroic pair recover to base with their now crippled jet. They climb out, hug, kiss, fondle and are immediately given a Married Quarter by a grateful Base Commander.
The film closes with our mighty duo trying desperately to apply for leave on JPA.

It went straight to BetaMax.

MEON VALLEY FLYER
21st Jun 2006, 08:17
Sum of all fear, thanks guys. Didn't know it was a 'jack ryan' story, should be good.

But back to Top Gun. I just cant see why they never milked all that success for at least 1 more. After all it was such a huge film. Hell they even made a sequal to that charlie sheen comedy with the indian gnat's on a carrier.

Wyler
21st Jun 2006, 08:40
Good movie but very short on story. So what could you do with a sequel? Any suggestions on a story/theme?

NURSE
21st Jun 2006, 09:06
was comming out of a cinema in Belfast having had to sit through Titanic whilst then better half worked her way through box of Klenex and heard 2 Bellfast teenagers wondering if there was going to be a Titanic 2.

I quite liked Flight of the Intruder for a cheesy war film.

Mind you what would Battlle of Britain be like if made now with modern CGI (though you'd probably find the battle of Britain actually started in 1942 and was won with Mustangs)

Skunkerama
21st Jun 2006, 09:56
I think that they would have done it if it wasnt for those dreadfull "aint us yanks the bees knees" Iron Eagle films.

Also the god awfull apache helicopter film (cant remember name) was pitifull.

Fly Boys looks great, hope they don't try to make out that the US did everything and saved the day though. Lets hope they keep it realistic with great flying shots.

Green Meat
21st Jun 2006, 10:47
Err, from the folds of my anorak I do have to confess that I know the precise reason that TG2 was never made..stand by...stand by...

Because they had used all, and I do mean all, useable aerial footage shot in the first one, and there was no will to go back and shoot additional stuff at great expense.

I really do like the story about Tony Scott paying out $25000 to the captian of the CVN (Enterprise) to trun it around again so that he can have all the deck shots back-lit. Some chutzpah! :ok:

SARowl
21st Jun 2006, 11:05
Try 'The Bridges at Toko-Ri'. A 1955 Korean war film starring William Holden.
http://reeltimes.********.com/2005/08/bridges-at-toko-ri.html

NURSE
21st Jun 2006, 11:45
I think that they would have done it if it wasnt for those dreadfull "aint us yanks the bees knees" Iron Eagle films.

Also the god awfull apache helicopter film (cant remember name) was pitifull.

Fly Boys looks great, hope they don't try to make out that the US did everything and saved the day though. Lets hope they keep it realistic with great flying shots.

wings of the apache

yeap another cheesy one but hilariously funny

Wipeout
21st Jun 2006, 12:01
There was a God-awful 'war film' a decade or so ago. Fortunately I've forgotten what it is called, but it basically involves a teenager with a couple of hours in an F-16 sim cos his adds an F-16 jockey. Then, when his father gets shot down, the said 'hero' manages to steal an F-16 (fully armed of course) and goes onto shoot down half of the soviet airforce, who despite being highly trained combat pilots are obviously no match for a spotty US teenager. Oh, and all this US-flag waving gung-ho action to rock music, which the teenager has brought with hm thanks to the F-16's on-baord cassette player (something I've not seen on any F-16 cockpit illustrations - perhaps it was an early model...). Kid then lands to tears of his newly rescued dad and various hugs, handshakes and medals :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

MEON VALLEY FLYER
21st Jun 2006, 12:07
wasn't that the first 'iron eagle' film. Loved those cheesy films.

from said kid in f16, to mig phantoms to P-38 with sidewinders and secret nazi wonder jet :E

all aimed at a teenage audience i assume.

Wipeout
21st Jun 2006, 12:14
Yeah, thats the one!

That bit in Independance Day is cringeworthy - the Americans devise a solution, cut to RAF crews in a desert somewhere:
"Sir, the Americans have a solution"
"Well, its about bloody time"

Ah, hollywoods great, isn't it? :ok:

Skunkerama
21st Jun 2006, 13:19
Yeah, thats the one!

That bit in Independance Day is cringeworthy - the Americans devise a solution, cut to RAF crews in a desert somewhere:
"Sir, the Americans have a solution"
"Well, its about bloody time"

Ah, hollywoods great, isn't it? :ok:

Don't forget the crop duster turned F-18 pilot and then he caps it off with his kamikaze death with a suitably clever punchline.

And Will smith punching an 8ft tall exoskeletoned alien with "Welcome to Earth"

RiskyRossco
21st Jun 2006, 13:33
Nick Cage in an Apache, one scene he's chanting "I am the greatest! I am the greatest!" while in the sim? With a slightly improved Sean Young in a Loach?
I found Cage's CO was the best of the cast.

replies on a postcard, please.

JAG3
21st Jun 2006, 18:57
Since your on the topic of films I thought I should mention how damn awful ''The Sum of All Fears'' was. Good film made fairly recently would have to be ''Behind Enemy Lines''(got it on DVD and watched it over 30 times) and the best Jack Ryan Film would have to be the ''Patriot Games. '' By the way on the subject of films i was wondering if anyone heard of ''Tornado Down '' as a film.

rock_dove
21st Jun 2006, 19:04
Dont know if it has been made into a film, (should be, excellent book) but im sure there was a bbc tv drama some years ago with the same name but it had nout to do with the book. It was about a tonka pilots wife after her husband died in a crash i think?