PDA

View Full Version : Back Seat Driver

Brewster Buffalo
20th Jun 2006, 14:29
or navigator know your place?

"It was actually possible to fly the Javelin from the back seat. If we undid a panel on the right hand side of the cockpit we exposed the control rods. This could be used to give them a playful tug when the pilot was on approach - always valuable if he was wasting valuable drinking time by insisting on practising circuits. We could also do barrel rolls. These were made easier by jamming a crowbar in the controls thus having our own joystick"

Navigator of 46 Sqn quoted in Jet Jockeys - Peter Caygill

The Rocket
20th Jun 2006, 23:16
I'd give my Navigator £10, not to mention a HEUUUGE kick in the b**lock* if he ever managed to do that to me.:=

Circuits are crap though:E

Lima Juliet
21st Jun 2006, 10:05
In the F4 (Jehovah!) you could stuff a nav rule in the stump left when they removed the sticks from the rear cockpit - hey presto! Have stick, have vote!:ok:

By the way, there is an F4 nav who has a couple of seconds solo/captain in his logbook when the pilot decided to leave him to it after colliding during the dreaded "St Andrew's Cross" debacle :eek:

About 15% of the F3s are twin stickers - most navs have had a go (and most ACL/ACI navs could beat the average mud mover at combat as well - unless it's an F15E!).

'Twas nice to see that the Typhoons failed to get on Havequick net during a recent exercise in bonnie Scotland. I guess the F3 mates were missing their navigators and had to try and remember what a Mickey and MWOD are!! Strangely enough their authentication was a bit slow as well - good job the Typhoon is fully automated then :ugh: