PDA

View Full Version : June ATPL results

littco
20th Jun 2006, 14:26
So come on how did you all get on?

Got the 1st eight, with a big thanks to Bristol GS....

MikeAlphaBravo
20th Jun 2006, 15:19
Have you recieved your results already? Still no sign of anything here! May the despair continue! Well done anyway:D

littco
20th Jun 2006, 15:20
They should be with your school as they where emailed to them today. I phoned up Bristol and they gave them to me over the phone.

Good luck

MikeAlphaBravo
20th Jun 2006, 15:45
Nice one littco, passed em all! Goodbye groundschool, bring on the CPL IR!

Callsign Kilo
20th Jun 2006, 16:03
Well done mate...you'll be back at EGSG doing your CPL in no time!!!!

samluvsplanes
21st Jun 2006, 21:38
hi guys,i've just recently started distance learning course with bristol ground school but wondered if anyone out there has changed to full time course from distance learning whilst part of the way through.i, onto frame three at moment and been studying since march but because of work commitments can only study late at night which i find it exhausting.i've done three progress test with passes in all three but seem to think at the rate am going it will be 2 years till i get to the finishing line,by then i will probably av forgot most of what i learnt initially.can anyone recommend a good school to do full time course or do you think i should continue with bristol, what a nightmare ;;

menikos
21st Jun 2006, 22:12
A friend of was with Bristol for mod1 and went to London Met ful time without any problem.

Hope it helps.

smith
21st Jun 2006, 22:33
I started D/L with Naples and couldn't get into it, switched to Glasgow residential and just got results today. All 14 nailed, done over 3 modules, 4, 4 and 6 subjects per module. 94% average for them all.

While we're at it does anyone think that the bristol online question bank devalues the learning process. I studied all the notes provided and made sure I understood them, not necessarily learned them but understood them. I think it would take you years to learn and retain every single item in the notes, I also agree that without practising feedback the exams would be nigh on impossible.

The final few days before the exams I hit the bristol question bank running. Although I find it very useful I found it, as I say, devaluing to the learning process as the majority of the questions in the bank are word for word exactly the same as the JAA exams. I believe it would be possible to pass the exams purely by memorising the bristol q bank. Any comments?

Callsign Kilo
22nd Jun 2006, 07:25
Totally agree Smith, the ATPL theory course, no matter how tiring it is, is not about learning question banks. And even though some of the JAA ATPL course is almost irrelevant to modern day operations, a decent knowledge of all 14 subjects is important I'm sure. You need to be able to answer questions using your understanding of the subject, however the BGS QB is a very useful tool when it comes to hgetting to grasp with what the JAA are trying to ask!

potkettleblack
22nd Jun 2006, 08:11
I don't feel that the Bristol Question bank devalues the learning process in any way, rather it is the manner in which the system is run that makes us revert to rote learning to get through and gives organisations like Bristol the opportunity to make a buck. If you have ever seen the learning objectives on the JAA.nl website then you will know just how huge a battle the schools have in trying to cram in everything that the CAA/JAA want. I got really keen when starting out on my ATPL's and made the mistake of printing them all out. I think they must have ended up being about 6 inches thick or so. Needless to say a cursory glance was all they got.

If the syllabus was cut down and made more relevant to todays commercial flying environment and the CAA actively audited the schools to ensure that the new courses were being actually taught then we might get somewhere. There is a huge difference between standing in front of a class and teaching rather than delivering a subject for the sake of it. I am sure we have all sat there in class and switched off at the shear boredom of something like flemings left hand rule wondering what the f*ck it has to do with flying an aircraft. Whereas in subjects such as flight planning I found that most of my mates were really getting into all the chart work and calculations that go with the subject.

But hey don't get to worried. Planes aren't falling out of the sky because you forget what type of fire extinguisher is used for wheel fires and I am sure that a lot of the pilots we fly with today took advantage of the Bristol website. I can't see the system changing and I learnt a long time ago that it is pointless bucking the system. Instead learn to play the system.

smith
22nd Jun 2006, 10:55
GNAV, MET and FL PLAN I do think that you need a good understanding of the core subject, attending the full time residential ground school directed me in the right direction for the others. It was amazing when doing some of the questions I could remeber the lecturers teaching that subject or even a word or phrase would come to mind.

I think the JAA exams are being refined at the moment, all schools and JAA states have to submit propositions for a consultation process to stop duplication over subjects eg compass swinging in gnav and insts, also a lot of commonality between systems and POF etc.