PDA

View Full Version : Psssst, want to buy a canberra PR9?

green granite
20th Jun 2006, 10:07
appoligies if its already been done could'nt see it anywhere.

http://cgi.uksurplus.com/auction/view?auctionId=906726

Razor61
20th Jun 2006, 12:29
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but...

what are we replacing them with? Or relying on US hardware again?

SirToppamHat
20th Jun 2006, 12:45
what are we replacing them with?

Google Earth enhanced with CNN !;)

What does one of these cost then?

STH

Jackonicko
20th Jun 2006, 12:54
These are now really historic aeroplanes, and I'd have thought all three of the surviving airworthy jets deserve a better retirement than the vagaries of an auction - which will give a huge chance of ending up in the smelter.

As to replacement, it's another 'capability holiday', though the Canberra's most 'hard to replace' capability has already disappeared, when they phased out RADEOS.

I've often wondered why, with the Afghan deployment known about for months before, they still went ahead and binned the kit.

GeeRam
20th Jun 2006, 13:59
These are now really historic aeroplanes, and I'd have thought all three of the surviving airworthy jets deserve a better retirement than the vagaries of an auction - which will give a huge chance of ending up in the smelter.

Maybe Air Atlantique might make a bid for 1 or even all of them and all the spares still left as they bought the T.4 when it was retired, and of course they also have the ex-record breaking B.2/6 WK163 in flying condition as well.

Air Atlantique do contract aerial survey work IIRC, so could be a good idea having a PR.9......maybe they could even contract out the PR.9's back to the RAF......:E :p

jimgriff
20th Jun 2006, 14:29
You may find that the PR9's have been sold to an operator who will use them for their intended purpose!:suspect:

Zoom
20th Jun 2006, 15:30
M.083?? So it's a microlight then, and a slow one at that.

air pig
20th Jun 2006, 15:45
Will they end up at Thunder City ?????

The Helpful Stacker
20th Jun 2006, 15:47

Depends how much Avtur they put in the tanks.:}

Is that my coat over there?

ARINC
20th Jun 2006, 16:11
You may find that the PR9's have been sold to an operator who will use them for their intended purpose!:suspect:

Would that make it...PFI PI ?

greycoat
20th Jun 2006, 23:04
Razor, given that we have the capability due to US giving it up and us developing it, who knows where such capability will come from in the future. Perhaps that just leaves Nimrod and refuelling as our forte when comparede to our US cousins

Blacksheep
21st Jun 2006, 05:16
These are now really historic aeroplanes, and I'd have thought all three of the surviving airworthy jets deserve a better retirement than the vagaries of an auction - which will give a huge chance of ending up in the smelter...There must be a bunch of Canberra fans out there who'd buy one, put it on the civil register and fly it at air shows.

Its been done before.

Well, almost...:rolleyes:

GeeRam
21st Jun 2006, 07:18
There must be a bunch of Canberra fans out there who'd buy one, put it on the civil register and fly it at air shows.
Its been done before.
Well, almost...:rolleyes:
Err......see the earlier post about Air Atlantique.....they have the ex-39 T.4 and the fomer Napier-Scorpion record breaking B.2/6 airworthy on the civil register (don't know if the T.4 has been registered yet?)
Unlikely, as IIRC Mike Beachyhead had a Canberra as one of his first jets when he bought one along with the ex-Black Arrows Hunter F.6 and were flown out from the UK. The Canberra was lost in a fatal crash IIRC not too long after starting flying out there. I seem to remember that he said that he wouldn't be interested in having another one.