PDA

View Full Version : Rwy ratio

Op Tastic
19th Jun 2006, 16:32
This is probably more relevant to the FJ crowd rather than the more skilled rotary fraternity...

Can anyone remind me of the relationship between Rwy length and Rwy width? Is length better than width more important when landing / taking off? I seem to remember the ratio is near 35:1, but the crews at Rockall (EBVK)(Rwy 01-190 and 2103 ft) say its different.

Pse help.... I'm on long finals and and need to know I can make it before I run out of fuel or runway!

:ugh:
It's been a long day....

SirToppamHat
19th Jun 2006, 17:31
If the runway is wider than it is long you may wish to adjust your approach/take-off heading by about 90 degrees!

Long day. Coat, getting.

STH

Monty77
19th Jun 2006, 18:01
WAAAAAAAAAH!:)

Zoom
19th Jun 2006, 18:07
I once landed my FJ on one with a ratio of about 160:1. My boss wanted to know what I was doing landing on the taxiway.

buoy15
19th Jun 2006, 20:03
This is reminiscent of the River Kwai sketch by the brilliant Peter Sellers who was perfectly impersonating Alec Guinness whilst having dinner with the Jap camp Cdr to discuss the building of the bridge
"Tell me Colonel, how long is the river?"
"Liver is sree undred and fifty mile long"
"Ah!, so tell me, how wide is liver?"
"Liver, sree undred yard wide"
"Excellent!, in that case, I think we will build the bridge across the liver"
Having a dram of Highland Park, so haven't managed to work out the ratio yet

microlight AV8R
19th Jun 2006, 20:09
Aer Lingus Flight 101 was flying from Dublin to New York one night, with Paddy the Pilot, and Shamus the co-pilot. As they approached Dublin airport, they looked out the front window.
"B'jeesus!" said Paddy "Will ye look at how frigin short dat runway is". "You're not flippin kiddin, Paddy" replied Shamus. "Dis is gonna be one a'da trickiest landings you're ever gonna see" said Paddy. "You're not flippin kiddin, Paddy" replied Shamus. "Right Shamus, When I give de signal, you put de engines in reverse" said Paddy. "Right, I'll be doing dat" replied Shamus. "And den ye, put de flaps down straight away" said Paddy "Right, I'll be doing dat" replied Shamus. "And den ye stamp on dem brakes, as hard as ye can" said Paddy. "Right, I'll be doing dat" replied Shamus. "And den ye pray to de Mother Mary, with all a' your soul" said Paddy, "I'm be doing dat already" replied Shamus.
So they approached the runway with Paddy and Shamus full of nerves and sweaty palms. As soon as the wheels hit the ground, Shamus put the engines in reverse, put the flaps down, stamped on the brakes, and prayed to Mother Mary with all of his soul. Amidst roaring engines, squealing of tyres and lots of smoke, the plane screeched to a halt, centimetres from the end of the runway, much to the relief of Paddy and Shamus and everyone on board. As they sat in the cockpit regaining their composure, Paddy looked out the front window and said to Shamus, "Dat has gotta be de shortest frigin runway I have EVER seen, in me whole life". Shamus looked out his side window and replied "Yeah Paddy, but look how flippin wide it is".

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
19th Jun 2006, 20:37
...unless of course it's a Harrier, in which case the ratio is approximately 1:1 :E