PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ireland Operations

JAG3
19th Jun 2006, 15:39
Hi Guys
I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me of some operations carried out by 230 sqn. and also including navy and army during the 30 years of the trouble's. The reason for me asking this is because I see puma's and also chinooks flying over my house every day and have always wondered what sort of role they have played including covert operations in the highly interesting country of Northern Ireland.

ratty1
19th Jun 2006, 15:58
Hi Guys
I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me of some operations carried out by 230 sqn. and also including navy and army during the 30 years of the trouble's. The reason for me asking this is because I see puma's and also chinooks flying over my house every day and have always wondered what sort of role they have played including covert operations in the highly interesting country of Northern Ireland.

Have you ever wandered why they are called covert operations? Maybe its because they dont want you to know what they are doing. They fly stuff around Northern Ireland. Simple really:cool:

WhiteOvies
19th Jun 2006, 16:03
Suspect most of it is still classified so not sure how many replies you'll get.

However, when aged 17, Mrs Ovies used to live close to Palace Barracks and had a nice secluded back garden. Being a hot summer day she decided a bikini top was not required. Used to the regular over flights she took no notice of the gazelle as it flew over head. However, when it hovered over the garden she realised just how good some of the optical kit on the NI whirly birds actually is. Expect that this has been stuck into a Sqn linebook somewhere as I have seen similar 'recce' photos in a linebook from Belize!:E

airborne_artist
19th Jun 2006, 16:23
Forces being inserted for covert operations normally hailed a cab going down the Falls Road, and simply asked the driver to take him to their OP. The presence of large, lumpy, olive green luggage was never sussed.

JAG3
19th Jun 2006, 16:39
Thanks for the replies:) . The reason I have asked about covert operations is because a lot of them have already been told through books and documentaries which I know about regarding SAS etc. but I haven't heard much regarding the air ops.

Thanks for any replies

diginagain
19th Jun 2006, 17:45
Try Amazon for 'Army Aviation in Ulster 1913 - 2004'

ShyTorque
19th Jun 2006, 18:24
No-one is at actually at liberty to tell you yet, but why not ask again in about thirty years from now? :ok:

microlight AV8R
19th Jun 2006, 19:54
Cue Tom Cruise :
"That's classified, I could tell you... But then I'd have to kill you" :cool:

JAG3
19th Jun 2006, 20:21
Tell me about the covert operations that are known about!

Sorry if I sound a bit aggressive:*

An Teallach
19th Jun 2006, 20:32
Awwww, Bless!

ratty1
19th Jun 2006, 20:36
Tell me about the covert operations that are known about!

Sorry if I sound a bit aggressive:*

No........................... :=

JAG3
19th Jun 2006, 20:49
Ha Ha So funny!:*

Only Joking:ok:

Bclass
19th Jun 2006, 21:48
Despite the 30 year rule I can confirm that a standard procedure for covert ops was to dress inconspicuously…
http://www.londonsnp.org/Superheros.jpg

ZH875
19th Jun 2006, 22:01
The photograph must have been taken by a Pilot. The missing pilot looks like a gorilla, I remember looking into the cockpit of a helo that landed at 1FTS in '84, nearly had a heart attack, there was King Kong in flying gloves sat in the RH seat.

ShyTorque
20th Jun 2006, 02:43
Ah yes, this was the secret M16 meeting, just before the infamous para drop into enemy territory down at Ballykelly. :p

teeteringhead
20th Jun 2006, 07:27
And if you need some good fiction about NI, try Pablo's autobiography!!

miles offtarget
20th Jun 2006, 08:58
Is it me, or does anyone else think this might be a very amateur journo ?

Beadwindow..... ....Out.

Whirlygig
20th Jun 2006, 10:44
Is it me, or does anyone else think this might be a very amateur journo ?
Would have to be very amateur with all those flying apostrophes :} :p

Cheers

Whirls

JAG3
20th Jun 2006, 12:11
Trust me guys I am not a Journo, but I'm sure you've heard that a lot. I'm just interested in the air component to Northern Ireland. You guys can start to ban this thread if you like because I really don't want to give you the impression that I am, I'm more or less in this forum to gain advice.

buoy15
20th Jun 2006, 16:14
Miles
That would be a Beadwindow 5 perhaps?;)

vecvechookattack
20th Jun 2006, 17:55
Exactly. Take a look at ACP 125 for more info.

http://www.nor.com.au/community/sarc/acp125~1.pdf