PDA

View Full Version : What Airfield Nearest Trentham Lakes ST4 Stoke on Trent

007helicopter
19th Jun 2006, 14:26
Hi

Visiting a company Near Trentham Lakes on Friday of this week. As I am not familiar with this area any advice on what is the best / available airfields closest to Trentham Lakes Post Code ST4.

A hotel close to the airfield would be a bonus.

This is a fixed wing flight in PA28R not a helicopter as the name may suggest.

Thanks

Duncan

Shaggy Sheep Driver
19th Jun 2006, 15:14
Bit of an airfield desert around Stoke. Seighford and Hixon about the closest, I'd say, but both a bit of a taxi ride away.

SSD

muffin
19th Jun 2006, 15:28
Tatenhill plus a taxi is probably the best bet. About 30 mins away.

007helicopter
19th Jun 2006, 19:32
Seighford looks closest and best road link, I believe it is a gliding club. Do they allow visitors? Any one know runway sizes and information ?

Muffin thanks - Tattenhall looks a viable option

muffin
19th Jun 2006, 19:40
Last time I went to Seighford it was a grass strip just used by gliders. I don't think the tarmac there can be used these days. I suggest you call them and ask.

Min Sink
20th Jun 2006, 06:57
The gliding club only allow power visitors on gliding business and for weather diversions. The field is rough in places but I've taken a PA28-140 in a few times.

There is still some use of the tarmac strip but it depends if it is being used for driving experience days. The owner is Bill Brown, I've sent you a PM with his number.

Shunter
20th Jun 2006, 15:12
Got a similar need myself. SWMBO's parents live just east of Stoke, and I was hoping to find a farm strip reasonably close for the bi-annual pilgrimage as opposed to trudging down in the car.

Closest on the chart is Calton Moor, which is marked as a Microlight site. I've heard that small fixed wings can land there, but totally drawn a blank on managing to acquire any contact details for the owner.

007helicopter
20th Jun 2006, 17:46
Cheers Min Sink - based on this have decided safest situation is Tatenhill so will aim for that. Looks like a 26 mile taxi ride to my customer so not to bad.

Min Sink
20th Jun 2006, 18:41
No problem. It's a fairly quick run up the A50 so it shouldn't take you too long.