PDA

View Full Version : what's the deal with certain types not being recognised

boogie-nicey
19th Jun 2006, 13:58
Is there any truth that Total Time is one thing but on top of that airlines and some other large operators have an issue with what type of aircraft you gained experience on. In other words Turboprops are further down the list and even to sub-divided further into what's refered to as 'Heavy Props'.

But hang on a minute what about the poor bloke/lass that cut their teeth on a BAE 146 RJ or Embraer 145 do they get omitted as well or they destined to stay on these types forever?

I realise that some of the biz jet people may consider such time but then again not sure. Is there any hope after turboprop/regional jet to move onto something else?

Can anyone of you helpful people shed any light on this somewhat mystifying concept of selection. Who's experience helps and which ones are laughed at and consequently binned (poor sod) :rolleyes:

Phileas Fogg
19th Jun 2006, 14:07
Well there is somewhat of a difference between, let us say, a Shed 360 and a Dash8 Q400, not just the size and speed but the glass cockpit etc. (that refers to the Q400 of course, not the Shed :))

And when an operator calls for jet time some will not recognise such types as the Embraer Pocket Rocket as a 'proper' Jet, much the same as hours built by guys who have paid for those hours are not recognised with the same regard, often, as hours built by guys whilst in employment.

Of course there is hope to move on, just build the minimum hours first and then apply and apply and apply.

potkettleblack
19th Jun 2006, 14:31
Tis true that for many years certain Chief Pilots at jet operators looked down their noses at those who flew turbo props or smaller jets. Things are I believe slowly changing for a number of reasons. Firstly the market is currently on the up and many jet operators are struggling to find people so have to drop their entry requirements. Secondly, the technology of TP's and small regional jets has come on in leaps and bounds. Many have glass cockpits making the transition from TP to jet relatively easy. Thirdly, I would say many of the old chief pilots have retired and taken with them their outdated views. And finally, those TP people that have made it into the jet operators have proved their worth and are slowly changing attitudes from within. Of course there will always be exceptions to the rule.

boogie-nicey
19th Jun 2006, 15:14
Prejudice rather than judgement still seems to plague Aviation. I'm sure that the TP guys are still very hands on and like any squaddie coming up through the ranks brings a bit of real time experience with them. These Chief Pilots are respected but nevertheless some of these views or opinions they express are certainly outdated. Glass cockpits are supposed to harmoise things and allow a set of crew to be a flexible option for their employing airline i.e. allow them to move between 'glass' fleets with minimum fuss. But hey what do I know .... :p