PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Stress of Flight Tests

dxbpilot
19th Jun 2006, 10:46
Just wondering if I could get some info on how fellow pilots prepare for their flight tests (eg. PPL CPL IFR). As I have no problems until a ATO jumps in the plane and its all downhill from there !:ugh:

I have a rather large test coming up and I don't want to screw it up because of nervousness.

any ideas , tips ?

cheers ppruners

sicky
19th Jun 2006, 16:48
Is it possible to know the route etc enough in advance of your test to practice it a few times with your instructor? I find the best thing to settle nerves is to have done it before :p

There's nothing more comfortable than when you're doing something you're familiar with, in my opinion.

no sponsor
19th Jun 2006, 16:54
If it's for the IR, then try and go over to the exam centre before the day of your test. You may even get to meet the examiners over coffee. It will take some of the nerves away, but you are unlikely to extinguish them all. Once you start to taxi, you'll find that your mind is too busy about becoming nervous or worried anyway.

FlyingForFun
19th Jun 2006, 18:07
Two thoughts which might help.

The first is that your instructors will only put you forward for the test if you are ready for it. So just do as you've been doing, and you'll be fine.

The second is that examiners want you to pass. They are human, they don't like failing people any more than you like failing. So all you need to do is not give them a reason why they have to fail you, and you should be fine.

Good luck!

FFF
----------------

small_dog
19th Jun 2006, 18:34
Before the Test
What helped me was remembering the fact that the examiner is just another person and that I am more current on the aircraft than he/she is, therefore I could probably fly to tighter tolerances than they could.
Try not to give them a mystique or an aura, because at the end of the day, they are just ordinary people the same as everybody else.
Try to focus solely on the flying elements of the test (ie the elements that you can control) try not to focus on the consequences of failing the test (the extra money required, the desire to get first time passes etc) because these will start to creep into your mind as soon as you make a slight mistake during the flight and will start to distract you from the actual task of flying.
The night before the test, maybe go to the gym or swimming pool and do some exercise as this will help you get a good night's sleep.
During the test
It sounds obvious, but the test is not over until you have shut down the aircraft. This means that everything is still to play for right up until the end of the flight. If you have a weak section initially (maybe a poor diversion in your CPL or a ropey first approach in your IR) it can be balanced somewhat by a good performance elsewhere in the flight, so dont get disheartened by thinking you've failed already. The only person that can fail you is the examiner, dont fail yourself (if you get my drift)
From personal experience I've been convinced that I've failed or partialled exams during the flight, but, in reality, the situation was not as bad as I had thought.
If you do make mistakes, just stay calm. Think of it as an opportunity to demonstrate your airmanship and ability by logically sorting out the mistake. Whilst making a mistake is not the end of the world, the examiner will probably take a dim view of things if you sit on the mistake and dont correct it sensibly.
Hope all this helps,
The CAA examiners I've met have all been really decent friendly people who want you to do the best that you can (they dont try to wind you up and get you nervous and agitated before the flight).
All the best

dxbpilot
20th Jun 2006, 01:17
hi thanks for your posts guys, there very helpful, the test is the CPL flight test later on in the week, I would have liked to do some more flying to practice some things eg. diversions , finding small road junctions etc but the weather is really letting me down , i guess i just have to take it as it comes !
i'll let you know how i go

cheers