PDA

View Full Version : Gliding again?

The Last Black Shed
19th Jun 2006, 10:33
Hello to all you nice people out there on Pprune. I am seeking advice and tips from the experienced and knowledgeable amongst you on the vast subject of gliding. To narrow it down somewhat, let me explain.....
Many many years ago, (when there were numerous black sheds in Farnborough) I used to go gliding and loved it, but family and finance meant that had to stop. Now retired I have booked some lessons to try and recapture (one of) the joys of my youth. What I knew I have no doubt forgotten, so I will be starting from scratch.
Do you reckon I am kidding myself or do I have some hope of actually going solo? What does that entail as regards theory, exams, medical etc. Are there any books you might recommend?
I would be most grateful for any comments.

Shedsie
aka The Last Black Shed

Shaggy Sheep Driver
19th Jun 2006, 10:39
It's many years (decades? :\ ) since I did gliding, but I'd have thought the first move would be to seek out your local gliding club(s). Nip along there and have a chat to members, and maybe a trial flight.

SSD

OpenCirrus619
19th Jun 2006, 11:09
Going Solo: Of course you can :ok:
Theory: None
Exams: None - until you approach Bronze 'C'
Medical: Same as for an HGV

Much more information on BGA Website (http://www.gliding.co.uk) along with a useful map to find your nearest club.

OC619

robin
19th Jun 2006, 11:26
Go for it. The only downside will be the regret you didn't go back earlier!

Dave Martin
19th Jun 2006, 12:05
Go for it, you'll likely have no problems at all.

Most of the older pilots (as in, the majority of pilots) at our club made the choice between golf and gliding - it seems gliding is the winner.

RatherBeFlying
19th Jun 2006, 12:34
I resumed last month after a 25 year lapse. Now many may find this hard to believe, but the club I was in at that time did not have yaw strings (just slip-skid balls); so, I am spending considerable time working out how to keep the string pointed back at all times:confused:

It's generally a different instructor every time and in several aspects what one instructor beats you over the head for is considerably different from what another instructor expects.

Also there have been quite a few changes to the instruction syllabus in the last 25 years; so, what was expected then may be frowned upon today;)

The upshot is that it would not hurt to review the club's student manual.

OpenCirrus619
19th Jun 2006, 12:38
RBF,

Having started gliding after getting a PPL someone gave me some good advice:
Since you are already used to "squeezing the ball into the centre" the yaw string will totally confuse you. DON'T concentrate on the top of the string - squeeze the BOTTOM of the string under the top with the rudder.
OC619

chrisN
19th Jun 2006, 13:08
There is no upper age limit on going solo, it's just on ability to handle the glider including emergencies. Most clubs have 70+ year-olds flying solo, many with people only starting after retirement and going on OK to solo.

For somebody starting off without experience, a typical number of launches to solo is 30 plus the number of years in your age (or up to double that for slow learners). With prior experience, it should be less - some bits you never forget, rather like riding a bike.

If you have time, go for a 5-day course - you will learn (re-learn) faster.

Equipment and teaching techniques are better than the old days.

If you can afford it, I would recommend aerotowing. Winch launches are very quick - the old brain finds it hard to keep ahead of the glider and monitor speed, attitude, sound, altitude etc., and react quickly enough and correctly when it goes wrong (as simulated cable breaks will prove all too well). Costs more per flight, but may well be as cheap overall or even cheaper, to get to acceptable solo standard. Just my opinion - others may disagree.

Chris N.

RatherBeFlying
19th Jun 2006, 16:18
OC619

The one I'm working with is the string points to the foot that is insufficiently pushing.

ShyTorque
19th Jun 2006, 16:22
TLBS,

Can't offer any direct advice etc as it's over thirty years since I had a go - but very good on you! :ok:

As far as keeping the "yaw string" in the middle - it's easy! Imagine another string running across the cockpit and joining the ends of your boots. Imagine the aircraft's "yaw string" is tied to the middle of your "boot-string".

As strings can't push, only pull, stretching your toes "pulls" the string back into the middle.

String out to the right? Pull it back by applying some left boot.

String to the left? Pull it back with right boot.

BTW, I flew over that "Last Black Shed" on Friday, on my way south!

The Last Black Shed
20th Jun 2006, 17:37
Thank you all very much for your encouragement and advice ( though I must admit that the bit about yaw strings was a bit over my head :confused: )
I am quite excited at the prospect of getting airborne again.
Thanks especially for the link OC619, very informative.
I have booked a lesson for next month and will report back on how it goes.
I was particularly delighted to learn from Shy Torque that I am still standing, hope you gave me a wave ;)
Thanks again, watch this space,
Shedsie

x10ge
20th Jun 2006, 21:36
OC619
The HGV medical only applies to Instructors or passenger carrying. Solo flight only requires standard car driving fitness. I've been up and down the scale a couple of times in the last three years. I've only put this in as its cheaper usually than going for the HGV medical, depending of course on your GP.

The Last Black Shed
21st Jul 2006, 07:42
Well, I have done it!!
My first glider launch since those heady Farnborough days of my youth!! (Cody was still using his tree when I was there :D )
As you so kindly predicted, it was absolutely great, fantastic, incredible. I don't think I have landed yet!! My most grateful thanks to a very kind, even flattering, instructor, but I did remember a lot more than I expected. Especially all the hanging around windy airfields, having a good gossip with the friendly club members :)
So, I am now determined to continue and the poor old doggies may have to go without bones occasionally to finance the learning process.
Thank you again for your support ... I will update now and again, but do let me know if I turn into a gliding bore :rolleyes:
Shedsie

Flash0710
21st Jul 2006, 11:30
Shedsie,

Many congratulations....

Hang on......:eek: A Glider?:confused: :eek: :eek: :eek: No Engine!!!:ooh: :eek: :eek:

You hero:ok:

Squishes

f..

Rocket2
21st Jul 2006, 11:49
No Engine!!!
Nothing to loose then!
Good on you chap - wish I'd been P1 just to see the grin on your face:}

Whirlygig
21st Jul 2006, 17:35
Well done you old shed! Old Jim on the gate would have been proud of ya gal!

Cheers

Whirls

The Last Black Shed
21st Jul 2006, 17:50
No hero me,
....I just have a touching faith in folk with Pilot Instructor labels on their flying suits. He/she aint going to do anything hairy when we are both in the same boat, so to speak.
Anyway, I am reliably informed that engines are for wimps :p Only don't let my daughter hear me say that or I will be in deep ... er...do-do!
Interesting taking control of a fibreglass craft though, as opposed to hauling a wooden glider round the sky. Such a sensitive, well-mannered little aircraft, I shall have to leave my hobnail boots at home next time. :D

Shedsie