PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow Queens Building

transmitforDF
19th Jun 2006, 09:06
Im not sure if this has been posted but its a real shame that the queens building has been closed off from spotting due to terrorism.

Does anyone know if its ever going to re-open?

Rhys S. Negative
19th Jun 2006, 20:06
Tim,
You are probably thinking of the viewing area on the top of Terminal 2; the much more extensive 'roof gardens' on the Queen's Building (which is located between Terminals 1 & 2) were closed to spectators a long time ago.
From all reports it seems very unlikely that this will ever re-open. Even before the supposed security threats, it was said to be likely to close as it did not offer disabled access and could not be easily modified to do so. Now, as you may have heard, there are plans once Terminal 5 is open to demolish T1, T2 and the QB and develop 'Heathrow East', a brand new terminal to the same standard as T5.
The best one can really hope for at LHR is continued use of the visitors' centre car park, and the 'unofficial' vantage points around the perimeter which have been discussed here before. Try not to let it spoil your enthusiasm for aviation!
Rhys.

scroggs
19th Jun 2006, 21:13
Sadly, there isn't a view of the airport from the top of the Queen's Building even if you can get there - so many Portakabins and other paraphernalia have been placed on the roof! Even if they weren't there, more recent T1/T2 constructions would block the view.

I remember several occasions when, having finished running the disco in the Skyways Club in what is now the Holiday Inn by the A408/M4 junction, we'd go up to the upper floor of T2 and watch the early-morning departures being prepared (this was 1972-74). Now, you'd never know there were ever any windows up there! Fortunately, I don't lack for airside views these days...!

The African Dude
19th Jun 2006, 21:48
" likely to close as it did not offer disabled access"

Anyone think that might be discrimination against those who AREN'T disabled?! :\
(Just kidding.. but honestly)

Just another student
19th Jun 2006, 22:46
Some of my earliest childhood memories are of standing on the observation deck with my dad, speding hours just watching the planes. Its down to the time spent there, both then and in years since, that I completed my CPL. I always loved seeing the BG DC10's, BWIA and BA L1011's and of course Concorde. I still get the same buzz when I visit LHR now, but it just isn't the same without the Queens Building viewing area :(

KeMac
21st Jun 2006, 10:13
I am not sure if it is true but I am sure I was told that the original cross pier of T 3 was open to the public ( the top of the pier) in the sixties before the addition of the "T" shaped pier but was closed for security reasons before the end of the sixties. Does anyone know if this is true?

treadigraph
21st Jun 2006, 12:03
I'm sure the roof of the south pier at Gatwick was open to the public and that I walked down it in about 1974 (I was all of 10!)... so it might well be true.

skiddyiom
21st Jun 2006, 12:25
I'm sure the roof of the south pier at Gatwick was open to the public and that I walked down it in about 1974 (I was all of 10!)... so it might well be true.

All the piers at Gatwick used to be open to the public. I can remember in the 60's seeing all sorts of amazing aircraft there - Ariana and SAM DC-6's, Israeli KC-97's, CAF C-47's and the usual 1-11's etc.

Oh for the access of those days!!:{

skiddy

Unwell_Raptor
21st Jun 2006, 13:32
As a spotter in the late 50s, living near LAP, I spent many hours in and on the Queen's Building. There was a cartoon cinema in the lobby, believe it or not, and on the roof was a commentary box, manned by a short fellow who sounded like a woman on the PA.
In bad weather we would camp out in the cafeteria, and order just enough tea and biscuits to avoid being slung out. We had a superb view of all Westbound approaches, and of the apron.
I was airside at LHR a couple of years ago watching inbound baggage handling, and when I looked up I was stunned to see the well-remembered outward-sloping windows of the old cafeteria. Nowadays they just look out on the shed roofs.

KeMac
22nd Jun 2006, 13:02

Yes I remember it well - there was also a cafe just off the South pier reached by a small bridge where you could get a cup of tea and sit on a terrace area outside and watch the landings and take offs - A facility we will probably never see the likes of again (at a BAA airport anyway).

Amos Keeto
25th Jun 2006, 11:01
Like several of you, I also spent many hours on the roof gardens at Heathrow in the 1960s underlining my copies of Ian Allan's Civil Aircraft Markings. My Dad used to take me there about twice a year and we always met the same spotter who must have spent every breathing moment of his life there, as his book was full with just about everything underlined! You didn't need a telephoto lens to take good photos as everything was so close. Ah the variety of sounds - pistons, turboprops and jets - not a patch of the endless stream of boring and uncharacteristic jets of today. I have published many photos from this era in my book "Vintage Glory", but it may be hard to find now! Sadly, those days will never return. Some time ago, I wrote to the Heathrow Public Relations about the poor viewing facilities and reasons for the roof gardens being closed, as there was no logic in it. After all, if anyone was doing anything suspicious, all the spotters and photographers would immediately report it! The only answer I received was 'because the government's report advised it's closure on security grounds'. I'm afraid, in my opinion, 'H&S', 'Human Rights', 'discrimination' and 'immigration' are all taking their toll on ruining this country!:rolleyes:

skiddyiom
26th Jun 2006, 07:50
The phrase "On Security grounds" covers a multitude of reasons for closing access to any airport. Talk about abuse of privelage. Security is one thing, turning the country into some sort of fortress is OTT in my view.

skiddy

transmitforDF
26th Jun 2006, 08:33
oh right thanks i don't really go up to Heathrow that much prbably the next time i do is when i pick my brother up from coming back from the states but thanks for the information anyway