PDA

View Full Version : Parts of my wife are running hot

Loose rivets
19th Jun 2006, 05:56
Well, it's her finger tips. They tingle and are visibly red and it is causing considerable discomfort.

She is 60 and is very fit, but has high blood pressure which she refuses to take medication for. She is also a vegetarian, though not a vegan and has masses of daily supplements.

She has considered all the usual things like washing up liquid and the like, but I want to be sure that it is not symptomatic of something like peripheral neuropathy. Is there a visible redness with this condition?

Mac the Knife
19th Jun 2006, 06:19
Well, it's her finger tips. They tingle and are visibly red and it is causing considerable discomfort.

....peripheral neuropathy. Is there a visible redness with this condition?

There may be. Could be a variety of things.

has high blood pressure which she refuses to take medication for.

To say the least, this is most unwise. Hypertension is not good for hearts, kidneys, brains & arteries in general.

Supplements (for which, on a balanced diet, there is no need) won't help.

The "abandon conventional medicine" crew have a lot to answer for.

19th Jun 2006, 11:14
In the abscence of any systemic disease; probably Raynauds: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud_disease
Any ergot's in the supplements she's taking?
Must be mad not to take treatment for hypertension: chronic debilitating serious disease so avoidable. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertension

obgraham
19th Jun 2006, 19:21
Mrs Rivets should line up a visit to her friendly internist. And if her hypertension is of significance, she should reconsider her desire to remain medicine-free.

ecnalubma
19th Jun 2006, 22:00
Well if she won't listen to you what makes you think she will listen to any of these guys/gals?

Loose rivets
20th Jun 2006, 01:04
That's about right...This is a woman that runs on gunpowder and would soon stab herself in the eye than listen to me.

Having read the posts, I will again put forward the arguments for taking medication. I think after 41 years of seeing me taking all sorts of pills, she is worried that it might have the same effect.:}

european champion
20th Jun 2006, 09:31
I had something similar,my fingertips got red and swolen everytime i touched something cold like a can of coke or beer...etc,it just started one day and disappeared a year later,i have no idea why,i still get it though some times but not so often.
I am not a doctor and i rarely visit any doctor apart from ent but my advice is that she should eat normally,being vegetarian in my opinion is very unhealthy.

Loose rivets
20th Jun 2006, 18:13
I had something similar,my fingertips got red and swolen everytime i touched something cold like a can of coke or beer...etc,it just started one day and disappeared a year later,i have no idea why,i still get it though some times but not so often.
I am not a doctor and i rarely visit any doctor apart from ent but my advice is that she should eat normally,being vegetarian in my opinion is very unhealthy.

That's interesting, have taken it on-board. Today, the burning sensation is swapping from the 2nd to 4th finger and back again.

Really, tingle was the wrong word. Burning is the better description.

As for being a vegetarian. (35 years) Well, she's in her sixties, seems to be on ‘red-line' all day long--looking after the g-children, dogs, house etc. When we travel, she throws airline baggage around as though it weighs nowt. Define unhealthy.

However, I am worried that underlying factors are stacking up on her. I spent some time last night taking BP with conventional equipment to compare to the Walgreen's mini one. I never got the same reading twice, (I just think that I was not able to interpret the sound accurately enough.) but 170 / 100 seemed to be typical.

I don't want to sound like something for Agony Aunt, but it's a strange time of life. In the period between her age and mine I have gone from very fit to...quite the opposite. Most of my problems stem from lumber pain and not being able to run, but the toughest part is the psychological side of the sudden change. I guess I'm trying to fend off the same thing happening to her.

Hawk
21st Jun 2006, 01:13
Loose Rivets..very pretty pic, thanks for sharing. Got her mama's eyes.
cheers
H

Loose rivets
21st Jun 2006, 05:01
Er, grand-mother.

I got a good link thanks to google to fine-tune the sounds that I should be hearing for the traditional type BP apparatus. I can see how these sounds are created, but I'm getting such variability. Of course, I probably have just not got the knack, but our 6M medical BP checks never seemed to take more than a few seconds. After about a minute of careful adjustment, I can't hear for the protestations of the Rivetess. Must try harder.