PDA

View Full Version : Eurocopter market names / production

Phoinix
17th Jun 2006, 21:34
I found this photo; a plate from an EC 145.

http://cohen.frank.free.fr/photos/helicoptere/securitecivile/photosecu/f-zbpp/F-ZBPP%20(02)MM.jpg

The model is still MBB BK 117 C2. How come? Is the 145 still in co working with Kawasaki or is this name just a thing of the past?

What names or markings do other EC have (120, 130, 135)?

Ian Corrigible
17th Jun 2006, 21:52
Kawasaki is still a partner in the program, and builds/exports the type within Asia as the BK 117 C-2. The EC 145's TC is also grandfathered as the BK 117 C-2, even though it is marketed outside of Asia as the EC 145. By comparison, the EC 130 B4 and EC 155 B are both type certified as such, rather than as AS 350 and AS 365 derivatives.

I/C

widgeon
17th Jun 2006, 22:01
Under JAA rules can you take that dataplate and build a helicopter using no parts from the original ?.

GoodGrief
17th Jun 2006, 23:10
EC 145 is a marketing name and the code for a civilian helicopter, 4 metric ton class and multi engine.
It is running under the BK117 type certificate so EC did not have to undergo the expensive type certification process for a new helicopter.
Here's the code again
first digit
1=civil
1+5=6 = military
1+1=2 = civil greater ten tons
second digit
MAUW less than X, in metric tons, if weight greater than ten, ten is carried over as +1 into first digit
third digit
0=single engine
5=multi

PANews
17th Jun 2006, 23:14
There are numerous instances of time expired and crashed BO105s around where the original remains receive an entirely new factory fresh airframe to which is added the dataplate and registration of the original.

If you did that with a motor car you would be arrested but on the helicopter its ok!

Back to the original item though about the EC145 being a BK117C2 rather than some glorious new beast, nothing new there.

Everyone talks of the MD902 but in truth despite the work undertaken on that [a serious and very major rebuild to meet the JAR requirements the original neatly skirted] that never left the type designation MD900 behind.

The same applies to the latest versions of the Agusta 109, that like the EC145, is very different from the original beast but retains the original designation and retains the all so important 'Grandfather Rights.'

Phoinix
18th Jun 2006, 04:41
Thank you all!:ok:

Disguise Delimit
18th Jun 2006, 09:42
Wheneve a new dataplate is created, i.e. a new helicopter is started, a pile of taxes must be paid by the builder.

It is a lot cheaper to buy a wreck, take the dataplate off it, build a new aircraft around it, and as long as (I think) 2 components have more than 300 hours on them, the new machine is considered to be a rebuild.

However, the new machine must be in the same configuration as the original pre-wreck bird.:sad:

PANews
18th Jun 2006, 15:13
Not quite sure what you meant by 'However, the new machine must be in the same configuration as the original pre-wreck bird'.

I am fairly sure that variations on that substitution activity have allowed an early model 'short cabin' BO105 to 'grow' into a long body DBS, thereby greatly enhancing its market worth.

ppheli
22nd Jun 2006, 04:55
I/C has got it closest in my mind. The fact that the EC145 is *really* a BK117C2 is so the grandparent rights flow down from the BK117 and the FAA/EASA/etc do not insist on a whole new round of certification tests, for which read cost/time/etc.

The MSN series from 9001 is for the Eurocopter built aircraft with the latest around 9090, while Kawasaki constructed ones started at 4001 and go up to 4010 thus far.

widgeon
23rd Jun 2006, 08:57
anyone know the workshare for the new version ?. If i recall correctly design group 2 ( pn 117-2xxxxx ) the fuselage structure was designed and built by Kawasaki on the original BK for all markets .Does the same apply to the C2 ?