PDA

View Full Version : Southend

Maxflyer
17th Jun 2006, 19:57
I'm planning a trip to Sarfend tomorrow. Never been there before. Are they GA friendly, charges etc.

Any local knowledge gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

MF

S-Works
17th Jun 2006, 20:00
blimey you are getting around a bit......:p

Maxflyer
17th Jun 2006, 20:04
One trys ones hardest:)

Keef
17th Jun 2006, 20:55
Very friendly (say hello to G-UTSY when you get there). Approach and Tower, usually (sometimes Approach does both). The folks in the Flight Briefing office are extremely helpful - but sometimes also extremely busy.

The landing fee reflects all that - we're based there and pay £17.21 a landing; you'll pay a bit more.

Don't plan on an overhead join!

Fuel price is up and down like a yoyo: I just got a bill for £1.1070 plus VAT per litre. It was £1.05 plus VAT a week or two back.

18greens
17th Jun 2006, 21:11
Top airport, excellent controllers, lovely operations and lots of hardware on the ground to stare at. You will have fun.

Most airports I find are of this exemplary standard. I find if you are good to them (phone, PPR, good radio and good airmanship) they will in turn be good to you.

Maxflyer
17th Jun 2006, 21:26
Thanks folks.

Fuji Abound
17th Jun 2006, 21:43
'fraid the £100 hamburger is out the door turn left about 400 yards - courtesy of Ronald ;) .

LysanderV8
18th Jun 2006, 13:04
Went to Sarfend from Shoreham last weekend for an ice cream. Parked next to G-UTSY. Very good service as ever. Landing fee £19.98 inc VAT. Expensive, but I see a Vulcan, a Belfast, a 707, a 1-11 and numerous prop jobs. A scheduled FlyBe Dash 8 as well.

And the sandwiches in the restaurant are greshly made for you, massive and the bread tastes like home made. Very very good !

Enjoy !

Lysander

FenFlyer
18th Jun 2006, 17:25
It was good to see this thread as I'm also planning a first trip to Southend.

So I'm guessing it's normal to contact Southend Apps about when I'm close to one of the Northern VRPs (Maldon, Chelmsford) and expect to join at circuit height.

Is there a nice pilots club cafe/bar/restuarant there, or is it a case of joining the passengers in the terminal?

Also, if there a quick bus to the seafront so that I can enjoy fish and chips with the seagulls?

Maxflyer
18th Jun 2006, 20:05
Didn't make Southend, but ended up in Clacton. Great little airfield and nice people to deal with. Well worth a visit.

Keef
18th Jun 2006, 23:37
So I'm guessing it's normal to contact Southend Apps about when I'm close to one of the Northern VRPs (Maldon, Chelmsford) and expect to join at circuit height.

Is there a nice pilots club cafe/bar/restuarant there, or is it a case of joining the passengers in the terminal?

Also, if there a quick bus to the seafront so that I can enjoy fish and chips with the seagulls?
I call Southend Approach about ten miles out and around 1500 to 2000 feet. Joins are usually whichever bit of the circuit I'm pointed at - baseleg, downwind, or even straight in. They'll tell you when to descend to circuit height, unless it's obvious from the clearance.

There are flying clubs along the perimeter track, but to be honest I'd go into the terminal - the caff there does some pretty good sarnies and the like. You could walk out of the door, turn left, and go the 200 yards to McDonalds, if that's your thing.

You won't find many pax in the terminal: just the odd few spotters, and some locals who go there for the food and the experience.

No, there's no bus service but there are usually taxis waiting outside the terminal.

Jamie-Southend
6th Jul 2006, 16:56
Just outside the main gate and almost on the large roundabout ( next to MacD`s ) there is a bus stop in Rochford Road. Its about a 3 min walk from the terminal. Buses numbered 7 and 8 ( and a few more ) will all take you into Southend, and from there its a 2 min walk to the Mud ( sorry sand ).

Buses are every 15 - 30 mins depending on the day. :0