PDA

View Full Version : Military aircraft around Telford/Ironbridge

261A
17th Jun 2006, 07:57
Last weekend was in Telford area in Shropshire, in a town along the 'Ironbridge Gorge', a tourist attraction, and I was walking through a town, Coalport on route to a museum when a military jet flew overhead from South to North at about 2-3,000 feet.

I know for certain it was a military jet and through the course of my weekend in and around Telford and the Ironbridge gorge I saw at least 2 of these military jets pass overhead. I havn't a clue what type of jet they were but I am just curious as to why they were flying over Coalport/Telford area as, as far as I'm aware there are no RAF or even airports in the area other than Birmingham.

Cheers

chevvron
17th Jun 2006, 13:57
What's so unusual about a military aircraft flying at about 2 or 3 thousand in the FIR?

Farmer 1
17th Jun 2006, 15:30
It's all right, chaps, I know exactly what they were doing. They were on their way from somewhere to somewhere else.

Either that or on their way back.

261A
17th Jun 2006, 16:55
Farmer 1,

haha thats hilarious! :rolleyes: :*

I was just asking a question as I do not even live in the area and was curious for christs sake consider why someone might be asking and after all this is spectators forum!

Farmer 1
17th Jun 2006, 18:19
Calm down, 261A. Military jets come in a number of shapes and sizes, and with from one engine to eight. Many of them have in-flight refuelling, and some are capable of circumnavigating the globe without landing. Even without that facility, they are able to fly from one side of this small country to the other, so the fact that there might be no military airfields in the area is not relevant.

So, your description of "two military jets" is not very much to go on, is it? My answer still stands. Unless, of course, someone knows better.

P.S. Did you enjoy Ironbridge? Marvellous place.

261A
17th Jun 2006, 21:12
Sorry Farmer 1.

Your reply was a bit sarcastic though but lets not go into that.

Thanks for your contribution to my thread. Yes I was in the Ironbirdge gorge area all last weekend annd went to most of the museums in the area and over the Iron Bridge itself which was quite impressive the history of it all is fascinating. I take it you have been yourself what were your thoughts?

Unwell_Raptor
18th Jun 2006, 07:20
To allow the RAF to cross from airfields in the East to the Welsh low-fly areas I believe that there are one or more corridors. One of them used to cross the M1 at Watford Gap, and may still do so for all I know. Telford is most of the way to Wales, so perhaps that's the reason.

Crieff-ite
18th Jun 2006, 08:21
As a helo pilot, I fly in this area quite regularly from North to South, flying through the Shawbury CMATZ (combined military air traffic zone).
Telford is on the South Eastern edge of the Shawbury CMATZ.
The area in and around the CMATZ is usually very busy with both military helicopters and fast jets.
If it helps, I come across a lot of RAF Tornadoes in the area south of the CMATZ. Sometimes on the freq, I can also hear american accented fast jet pilots but they have usually been on the western side.
Sorry I can't help you with any other details, you can be rest assured tho, what you saw was just normal fast jet activity in that area.
Have fun and take care

Crieff-ite