PDA

View Full Version : changing currency

pilotho
16th Jun 2006, 19:58
the travellers amongs you, wonder if anyone can help me.

travelling to HK in 2 weeks and would wonder where is the best place to change my GBP for those HKDs.

thanks!

lets hope i can get that connecting flight at CDG to spend the HKDs

obgraham
16th Jun 2006, 20:28
Cash machine.

pilotho
16th Jun 2006, 20:37
you must have some intelligent cash machines that takes your money and then spit some out again!! :D

spiney
17th Jun 2006, 05:20
Got to agree with obgraham - cash machine is the way to go.

The rates you will be charged on your UK bank/credit/debit card is better than the rates you will get changing currency. You won't go further than a few yards in Hong Kong without coming across a machine which will take your card. Make sure you know what the withdrawal limit rates are on any cards you take with you and make the normal provision in the event of loss etc.

Globaliser
17th Jun 2006, 10:06
Definitely just use an ATM in Hong Kong. There is no sense doing anything else.

Have a bit of GBP cash with you, just in case something goes badly wrong with plan A, but don't exchange it unless you're in an emergency; in any event that emergency will only last as long as it takes to get into a bank branch to get a cash advance over the counter either using your ATM card or a credit card.

I can't remember the last time that I changed money at a bank or a bureau de change. The only times I've used a bureau de change recently is buying sterling travellers cheques using sterling, solely for the BA Miles. ;) (And that was years ago now.)

pilotho
17th Jun 2006, 11:57
thing is about using ATM is that it charges a fee to take out any amount of money right?

therefore i would have to take a large amount out for it to be worthwhile

Rollingthunder
17th Jun 2006, 18:48
Well it's a small fee to withdraw. Tailor your withrawal to suit...it doesn't necessarily have to be a large amount. Use a debit card. Have a credit card or two as back-up. When you leave for HKG take along a couple of hundred HKDs for incidentals after arrival.

Dodgy Boy
17th Jun 2006, 21:37
Would echo what the others have already said about using an ATM, however.....I'm told that if you get a Nationwide FlexAccount card you can withdraw money outside the UK without any loading being applied and the rate will be that of the actual exchange rate for that day! Same also applies to their credit card which I use on longhaul trips, recogn it's saved me quite a bit this year.
Good luck and have a great time in Kongers.