PDA

View Full Version : Strong Tubulence over Greenland

swathunter
16th Jun 2006, 17:38
I was on a flight from EGLL -> KSFO [LONDON,HEATHROW -> SAN FRANSICO,USA] When the flight was pretty good all the way until we got near Greenland suddenly we experience a lot of turbulence probably the strongest turbulence I have ever experience. Good-job the pilot turned the seat belt sign on. I had a wing view and the wing was moving quite far up and down. Can Anyone tell me how come it was so bad over Greenland ?

When we were passing Over the Grand Canyon on the way we also experience a lot of tubulence then but not as bad as the turbuelnce we expeprience of greenland ? Can anyone tell me why it was so bad ?

Flight on B747-400 with British Airways.

eastern wiseguy
16th Jun 2006, 19:14
Hi ..one possible explanation for the bumpiness might be that you were in a strong jetstream.

http://www.fearless-flight.com/flight-safety/air-turbulence.php

follow the link for more info....

dusk2dawn
16th Jun 2006, 21:15
Strong turbulence at altitude often coencide with catabatic wind in the flords on the east coast.

Catabatic wind: a wind caused by the downward motion of cold air (in this case fro the icecap).

swathunter
16th Jun 2006, 21:25
Arhh I was wondering this because someone was saying It had something to do with the grnd temperature.... Like in greenland it aint green its snow lol and well Its on northern hemisphere so I presume its cold.... :ugh:

hushkit77
17th Jun 2006, 09:21
just curious, but why were you passing over the Grand Canyon on your way to SFO from London. Its nowhere near San Francisco?

swathunter
17th Jun 2006, 11:02
Due to traffic in the area and runway in use. Its not that far away on a B747 when its just traveled all the was from the UK.

Also Please Note we were not travelling directly over the top of the Canyon we where just North of it.

Avman
18th Jun 2006, 08:04
:confused: Not that it matters really, but whichever runways were in use, at best you would still have been well over 200 miles North of the GC and any turbulance you met on the way in to SFO certainly would not have been associated with it.