PDA

View Full Version : FAA ppl in UK?

jfromero81
16th Jun 2006, 12:09
Hi I have an Faa ppl, and now live in the uk. I've heard that it is valid here, but nothing to back that up. Does anyone know, or can point in the right direction. I tried the CAA website but got totaly lost in it!

Ta

Longbow55
16th Jun 2006, 13:24
Yes you license is legal to fly on the island, I also have an FAA License. The information is on the CAA web site, you just got to look.

rjt194
16th Jun 2006, 13:38
The CAA website is a bit like the UK's approach to signposting... there's never one when you really need it.

The information is in LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS_06_WEB.pdf), specifically section A.7.

Providing that your certificate and medical are valid, then if you are flying a N reg in the UK, you are flying with the full privileges of the FAA certificate. If you wish to fly G reg, you are restricted to VFR.

Keygrip
17th Jun 2006, 00:03
This link (on the CAA website) http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=137&pagetype=70&groupid=170&faqid=208 will get you...

Exercising the privileges of a JAA Licence or an ICAO licence in UK Registered Aircraft

http://www.caa.co.uk/applicationimages/groupfwd.gifWe have received a number of enquiries from Non-UK licence holders about the privileges of their licence within the UK. The situation is as follows:-

Article 21, of the Air Navigation Order 2000, states, that a pilot must hold an appropriate licence granted either by the UK CAA or by a foreign authority and rendered valid under the ANO to fly a UK registered aircraft.

A JAA licence is deemed to be a licence rendered valid under the ANO unless the CAA in the particular case gives a direction to the contrary. A JAA licence is a licence issued in accordance with licensing and medical requirements of JAR-FCL by a full JAA Member State that has been recommended for mutual recognition by Central JAA (JAA Headquarters). For the current mutual recognition status of JAA Member States (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_mutual_recognition.pdf)please select this link.

A licence issued by any other ICAO Contracting State (including a JAA State that has not yet been recommended for mutual recognition) is also deemed to be valid under the ANO for the purposes of flying a UK registered aircraft, providing that the licence and medical are valid in accordance with the rules/laws of the issuing State, and the CAA does not in the particular case give direction to the contrary. However, Article 21 (4) (a) states that the holder of such a licence cannot:

1) Act as a member of the flight crew of any aircraft flying for the purpose of public transport or aerial work or on any flight in respect of which he receives remuneration for his services as a member of the flight crew; or

2) In the case of a pilot’s licence, act as a pilot of any aircraft flying in controlled airspace in circumstances requiring compliance with the Instrument Flight Rules or to give any instruction in flying.

Where a licence contains any extraordinary operational or medical limitations, individuals should contact PLD for advice.

............................................................ ....................................

So a current (flight review within last two years, sufficient take offs/landings for passenger carrying, etc) FAA licence with a current FAA medical is sufficient.

Whopity
17th Jun 2006, 18:52
The ANO was amended in 2005. The requirement to hold a licence and the validation of ICAO licences for PPL privileges is now in Article 26!

Keygrip
17th Jun 2006, 23:04
Whopity - you saying that the CAA web site is publishing out of date (or incorrrect) aviation material? :ugh:

Guess they don't charge enough for internet access. :E

"At the subsequent Board of Investigation............"

IO540
18th Jun 2006, 07:38
Since the ANO got renumbered whole in 2005, a lot of people, and websites, and magazine articles, are going to be referring to the wrong articles for the next 20 years :)

Mustapha Cuppa
18th Jun 2006, 09:07
IO540

You're right.

My current TRE authorisation enables me, inter alia, to do base checks iaw Schedule 10 which, as we all know, is now Schedule 9.

Whopity
18th Jun 2006, 12:19
It changes every 5 years as regular as clockwork! The ANO as a principal document, the rest don't matter.

Henry Hallam
18th Jun 2006, 13:46
Yes you can fly a G-reg aircraft VFR in the UK and overseas. If you also have an FAA IR then you can fly IFR as well but only outside CAS.

It's a good idea to get a couple hours with an instructor over here since the R/T is a bit different and the airspace is rather more crowded than the states. Your club will probably require that you do this anyway.

IO540
18th Jun 2006, 15:28
If you also have an FAA IR then you can fly IFR as well but only outside CAS

The above is certainly true for G-reg in the UK (FAA PPL with an FAA IR), by virtue of the ANO prohibiting IFR in CAS otherwise, so this is permitted on the basis that everything not prohibited is permitted.

I do wonder to what degree this works outside the UK. Has anybody looked into this?

I recall reading a UK magazine article 2-3 years ago claiming that this applies in France too, adding that it is not useful because much of France is Class E which is CAS for IFR.

However, did the writer check this out? The CAA decides what privileges an FAA PPL/IR pilot would have in a G-reg, but the DGAC is entitled to make prohibitions in this area too. If this was permitted, then one could do a VFR flight (using one's FAA PPL privileges) and then (having found IFR-only conditions at the destination) he could ask for an IFR clearance (using his FAA IR privilege) if the destination was OCAS. That sounds like a useful and a legal (though obviously unwise) way of going about things. It could also be a way of getting instrument approach practice for a lot less money than Bournemouth or Cranfield :)

The DGAC have a whole pile of restrictive practices intended to stop French pilots flying F-reg on the FAA PPL or IR, though I don't think these are in the French AIP. Some of these might apply to G too.

Keygrip
18th Jun 2006, 21:05
It changes every 5 years as regular as clockwork
Then there's even less excuse for the CAA to be out of date with their own website. If they know it's going to change then they should fix it.

I hear - from various staff at Battleship House - that Lasors is garbage as it's full of mistakes, the ANO is wrong (as it contradicts itself and is, therefore, garbage) and now their own website is garbage (and they know about all of them).

So if every publication they produce is garbage how can anyone be expected to get things right?

IO540
18th Jun 2006, 23:03
The ANO may be garbage but it's the primary legislation :)

It is certainly very poorly written - doubtless the result of many years of patches applied to plug one or another dodgy practice in aviation.

A lot of the rest of the stuff coming out of the CAA is personal opinion of some ex RAF navigator, pretending to be law. A great deal of the bandwidth on pilot forums is over that sort of stuff.

LASORS, AIUI, contains a lot of regulation in areas where the CAA is authorised to make regulation without reference to Parliament.

scooter boy
21st Jun 2006, 10:56
The real answer is to use your FAA ASEL in an N-registered aircraft (there are plenty based in the UK) and then you can exercise the full privileges of your license.
You can also get an IR more easily and fly airways anywhere you please provided the aircraft and yourself are FAA registered. There are plenty of companies that will handle your N-registration in the UK.

The only point to consider is that if you are not the owner of the N-reg aircraft (i:e you are renting it from a third party) then this is illegal in UK airspace as it constitues "air work" unless the DfT has deemed it OK.

You can also get FAA medicals, BFRs and IPCs in the UK without too much trouble.

Converting to a CAA or JAA license is expensive and pointless (I know I did it 10 years ago) provided you can find an N-reg aircraft to fly.

;)

englishal
21st Jun 2006, 12:55
provided you can find an N-reg aircraft to fly.
Or not. one of our group members, who happens to be a famous aviator, flies our G reg solely on his FAA ticket.

Regarding the CAA website - they do make mistakes. For a long time then had a bit regarding the IMC and FAA IR and it stated that "a holder of an FAA IR is entitled to exercise the same privileges as an IMC rating holder in a G registered aeroplane" (or words to that effect).....which is clearly wrong. What it should have said is "is entitled to apply for an IMC rating if they hold a JAA or CAA ticket" or words to that effect.

the_stig
11th Jul 2006, 12:22
Hello Everyone,

I cannot get a JAA Class 2 medical as I fall outside the standards for UNCORRECTED eyesight.

However it would appear that I could get a FAA PPL, as they don't restrict uncorrected eyesight.

I don't want to fly commercially, just fly Helis for private use.

Can I fly a G reg UK Heli on an FAA licence with a FAA medical in the UK?

I have no desire to fly IFR.

Rgds & Thanks,

The Stig.