PDA

View Full Version : Sinus Tachycardia?

b747heavy
16th Jun 2006, 05:43
I recently attended a CX interview. I was unfortualtely unsuccessful with this and I have been asking my self why?

Aside from any other issues that CX may have with my interview, the reason for this post is to gain some information on the above mentioned condition.

I was required to submit a Medical form, which asked several questions about my medical history. In the past, one of my ECG's came back with a Sinus Tachycardia reading. I was requested to have this checked into, at which point it was dismissed as being no problem, this went on record and I have since been renewing my medicals without problem, (some 3 years ago) both Australian and FAA.

I disclosed this information to CX, along with the report from the cardiologist. My main question is...did something like this determine the outcome of my interview from a medical standpoint?

I know some may say 'don't tell them', but if it went to the next stage, the CAD would request records from the Australian CASA, and there it would be, then me being fronted with the question of 'why did you not tell us?'. I think I did the right thing?

Anyway, I would appreciate it if anyone has had a similar experience with such a condition and can I expect this to deter such employers from looking at me in the future?

As I said, I just renewed both my medicals, no problem....no question...

thanks in advance for your feedback.

Heavy. :ok:

SHogan
28th Jun 2006, 00:00
Here comes the science part, so listen up sports fans :8 :

Sinus tachycardia basically means that your heart was beating a little quicker than might be expected. Occasionally details such as age and sex might be typed into the ECG machine and the computer can give provisional diagnoses from the trace. These are almost always wrong.

In the right atrium (one of the chambers) of the heart there is a small cluster of specially developed heart muscle cells called the 'sino-atrial node'. These cells are like a metronome and initiate a regular contraction of the surrounding muscle cells in a co-ordinated manner that leads to the ventricles (the bigger chambers that do most of the pumping of blood) contracting as the heart beat. Therefore, and this is a term you may have heard on rubbishy TV hospital programmes, a normal heart rhythm is called 'sinus rhythm' (because the rate is being normally controlled by the sino-atrial node).

Tachycardia is a quick heart rate. (tachy - quick/speed, cardia - of the heart) Therefore a sinus tachycardia is a quick heart rate that is being normally controlled by the sino-atrial node. This, therefore is a perfectly normal finding and is a glorified way of saying that your heart is beating quickly. This happens when you're partaking in exercise, if you're stressed about something (such as undertaking a Pilot's License Medical :ok: ) or if you're just plain unfit! To 'diagnose' someone as having a sinus tachycardia therefore means a grand total of f**k all. The only people who would diagnose sinus tachy are doctors/nurses who are too thick or lazy to interpret the ECG for themselves and just read the crappy computer diagnosis that's printed out at the top.

I've not seen your ECGs and am ignorant as to how much trouble you'd be in if you failed to disclose any medical problems but the simple fact remains...... the diagnosis of sinus tachycardia doesn't, in itself, mean a thing. The likely story is that you were a little anxious about having an ECG and so your heart started to beat a little faster than usual. This is normal. :}

Hope this is of some reassurance, good luck with jobs in the future, Simon.:ok:

rhovsquared
28th Jun 2006, 02:56
I will to get back to this later, cardiac arrythmias are a VERY VERY complicated subject... I have quite a penchant for Cardiac Electrophysiogy:8

and I also don't want to sound too much like Harrison's: Principles of Internal Medicine :\ :\ :\

or Nacarelli's, Clinical Cardiovscular Therapeutics: A practical approach:\

Maybe a Cecil's Textbook of Medicine tone... maybe keep it at the Current Medical Diagnosis And Treatment Level discussing amiodarone v. bretyllium...or maybe I'll consider adenosine...mag sulfate perhaps... Hey it's better than the topic of shunts and congenital heart defects :\ :\ :\ .... when I need a little break it's ventilator settings :} :} :} and how The fetal/Foetal lung presents a shunt to infinity....:\

just kidding Guy I'll explain in English later ,my younger brother with whom i live is, trying too sleep.. just not now Turbocompressors OFF :)

Oh that's super!
28th Jun 2006, 09:57
rhovsquared, how sad is that I was laughing reading that?:}