PDA

View Full Version : nppl question

cessnasey
14th Jun 2006, 23:06
hi all:ok:

just a quick question... what is it i wouldnt be taught doing an nppl that i would be doing the ppl?

i mean whats cut down from the course? safety? (bloody hope not!) traffic procedures? i dont understand what id need in one ppl that i wouldnt need in the nppl...

Whirlygig
14th Jun 2006, 23:14
The medical is simpler as it can be provided by your GP rather than full Class 2 medical from an AME.

I'm not sure of the differences in the training but post licence entitlements are not so many. I do not believe you would be able to use your licence abroad (since it is not a JAA but a national licence), you can't "upgrade" to subsequent licences or ratings or use it as the first step in the modular scheme for a commercial licence.

So, if you think you may want to do more with your licence, I would recommend a JAA PPL.

Cheers

Whirls

Genghis the Engineer
15th Jun 2006, 00:38
Instrument navigation is I think the main omission.

G

BEagle
15th Jun 2006, 07:03
Radio navigation.

But you will get 1 hr of instrument appreciation - and operating from grass runways is also part of the syllabus. Whereas there are no such mandatory requirements for the JAR-FCL PPL(A) course; you just have to receive sufficient training to complete the '180 deg turn in cloud' requirement during the Skill Test - and grass runway operation isn't even mentioned.

Genghis the Engineer
15th Jun 2006, 07:42
Radio navigation.
But you will get 1 hr of instrument appreciation - and operating from grass runways is also part of the syllabus. Whereas there are no such mandatory requirements for the JAR-FCL PPL(A) course; you just have to receive sufficient training to complete the '180 deg turn in cloud' requirement during the Skill Test - and grass runway operation isn't even mentioned.
Ah yes, thanks for that correction.

G

bar shaker
15th Jun 2006, 07:49
The medical is simpler as it can be provided by your GP rather than full Class 2 medical from an AME.

I'm not sure of the differences in the training but post licence entitlements are not so many. I do not believe you would be able to use your licence abroad (since it is not a JAA but a national licence), you can't "upgrade" to subsequent licences or ratings or use it as the first step in the modular scheme for a commercial licence.

So, if you think you may want to do more with your licence, I would recommend a JAA PPL.

Cheers

Whirls

The use offshore will change soon. EASA is promoting an NPPL licence across the whole of Europe and an NPPL holder will be able to use the licence in all EU states. The microlight NPPL is already accepted by all main EU states, with the exception of Ireland that ask for a class II medical, in addition to the NPPL medical.

I know nothing of how the NPPL SEP compares to what the US are doing with SLA pilots, but there may be reciprocal agreements here too.

I was under the impression that almost all NPPL hours could be used towards a JAR, if you wanted to carry on learning.

BEagle
15th Jun 2006, 08:26
A NPPL with SSEA Rating can indeed be upgraded to a JAR-FCL PPL(A) - it's all in LASORS!

Any instruction conducted for the NPPL by JAR-FCL FIs will be counted in full towards the mandatory requirements for the JAR-FCL PPL(A) - so it's basically a top up course.

If you have a NPPL and fly a long solo cross-country which meets the JAR-FCL PPL(A) requirements for the Q X-C and have the completed form to prove it that will also count.

There is no guarantee that the 'R'PPL being considered by EASA will be identical to the NPPL. But we aim to present an industry-agreed NPPL to them that has succeeded.

Lister Noble
15th Jun 2006, 09:50
There is very little difference in the tuition requirements apart from another 13 hours for PPL and the others already mentioned.
I started NPPL and changed to PPL when I passed the class 2 medical,at around 35-40 hrs,then completed course in 53 hrs.
I did get a couple of landings on grass, thanks to an obliging CFI.
Lister:)