PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to RIAT?

D-IFF_ident
14th Jun 2006, 21:20
I am. Static display though; anyone else?

http://www.airtattoo.com/

Confucius
14th Jun 2006, 22:03
I'm sorry, 30.95for a ticket? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Are the public paying twice over for a squadron of yesterday's fighter at tomorrows price? That's such a ******* ******* high price

**** ** that's ******* expensive. Are they taking the ******* *** or what. ****.

Anyway, no I won't be going, officially or not. And at those ******* prices thay can shove it up their ******** **** ****** **** ****.

I would be ashamed to represent the raf at a show that ripped people off with ******* tickets at that ******* **** ******* **** ******** high price. **** **** ***** ***** ******* ******* ******.

GeeRam
14th Jun 2006, 22:09
I'm sorry, 30.95for a ticket? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Are the public paying twice over for a squadron of yesterday's fighter at tomorrows price? That's such a ******* ******* high price

**** ** that's ******* expensive. Are they taking the ******* *** or what. ****.

Anyway, no I won't be going, officially or not. And at those ******* prices thay can shove it up their ******** **** ****** **** ****.

I would be ashamed to represent the raf at a show that ripped people off with ******* tickets at that ******* **** ******* **** ******** high price. **** **** ***** ***** ******* ******* ******.

Well considering it's a whole day, it's still pretty good value even at that price.....have you seen what it costs to go and see 22 blokes kicking a sphere of air around a patch of grass for a mere 90mins.....or what you had to pay to see the boredom that was the British Grand Prix last weekend;)

Confucius
14th Jun 2006, 22:54
I don't like soccer, and yes, GPs are spectacularly bad value for money. On the plus side they are at least cars not aeroplanes.

I would point anyone with ~£40 to spend towards Goodwood (Festival or Revival). Similar cost to an air show but 10 times the spectacle.

clicker
14th Jun 2006, 23:09
As an non-serving anorak I would still pay that price for two reasons,

They often "reach parts other airshows cannot reach". Its the only place I've seen a Bear, May and other soviet build a/c. Other shows can change almost as much as Fairford.

They raise money for the RAFBF, you never know you might need their services one day. But hopefully not :ok:

clicker

Wycombe
14th Jun 2006, 23:17
I'll be there, although merely as a southside observer these days :(

No more for me the days of watching the display from underneath on the northside, going to the hangar bash, riding round in "leader" vehicles...oh and answering the phone and shuffling bits of paper in the Flight Centre.

Happy days :ok:

Now a 'J' Bloke!!
15th Jun 2006, 05:45
I'll be there, although merely as a southside observer these days :(
:

Southside observer.....Well I suppose he does have to be watched!!!:ok:

'J' Bloke!!:cool:

The Swinging Monkey
15th Jun 2006, 06:04
Whilst I wouldn't go quite as far as Confucius does, I have to say that he does have a point. It is extremely expensive to go and look at aircraft that, as a tax payer, you effectively own!
GeeRam, I agree entirely with you about the football anf GPs, but that don't make RIATS prices right. You and I OWN those aircraft, and I think that the british public should be able to go and view 'their' hardware free of charge.
Clicker, you also raise a valid point regarding the RAFBF, the problem that I have is the vast amount of money that DOES NOT get to the Ben Fund! If it ALL did, then I could accept the prices a little better, but we all know that a phenominal (sp?) amount of money is effectively wasted on Niff Naff for Airships and the like, aswell as all those other 'incidentals'

I am sorry, but I will not be going to RIAT.

Kind regards
TSM

jindabyne
15th Jun 2006, 06:33
SM

Err, I think you'll find that you and I don't in fact OWN the majority of aircraft that will be appearing ---. And I take it that your argument applies/has applied to all UK airshows past and present?

ImageGear
15th Jun 2006, 06:40
What's happening with you guys, I have been a Southside observer on and off for years, yes I am not an insignificant tax payer, yes I (and many others) fund the cost of defence in this country.

I also, own a car, on which I pay a license, insurance, maintenance, and when it becomes necessary, a driver.

Yes, I know I can't always choose this year's latest toys to watch but as with cars, I still need to keep them running.

Apart from seeing my "still" exciting toys on the ground and flying, the greatest reason I attend is for the contribution to the RAFBF.

Ohh and (hopes, hopes) just one chance to see a Tin Triangle doing what it used to do above HQ 1 Gp at 04 dark.

If you are no longer excited by the sight and sound of anything airborne (I rush outside to see Tiger Moths)..perhaps your first real love affair has ended.

A ticket is ten pints of ale and you will likely be sober in the morning.

Imagegear

BEagle
15th Jun 2006, 06:56
Hmmm....

As a SVAS member it cost me £8 to visit Shuttleworth and watch the military pageant a couple of weekends ago. Including parking a few yards from the crowd barrier. Picnic in the sun whilst watching rare aircraft in an idyllic setting - or should I pay 4 times as much to park in a field and trudge miles to get a glimpse of the display between gaps in the corporate hostility tents?

The V-22 would be interesting though.

Probably won't bother this year.

Fox-1
15th Jun 2006, 08:09
As a static I'm really looking forward to it.

Agree that it is ******* expensive, BUT kids go free and it is officially the world's biggest airshow. Despite the price, the crowds are massive!

If you just want to see the flying, there's a great hill that's on the display side of the crowd line where you great view of the ac overhead.

Confucius
15th Jun 2006, 08:11
I'll admit I could've overstated my shock at the cost, but it does seem a bit pricey, especially if one's children are over 16.

They really ought to get Les Shockley's Shockwave (http://www.shockwavejets.com/) over though

Guy Willesley
15th Jun 2006, 08:51
A list of the RAF aircraft that are going can be found at ;

http://www.raf.mod.uk/displays06/

Click on 'Display Calendar' on the left of the screen (RIAT is on 15/16 Jul). Links to individual team websites are also there via the 'Display Teams' button.

How many AT 'frames will make it there is up for debate. We haven't got that many spare... Should be a good smattering of fast noisy pointy things though. And there's always a helluva lot that isn't RAF!

GeeRam
15th Jun 2006, 09:25
The V-22 would be interesting though.

Maybe......but I reckon the star display could just well be the final fling and using up of the remaining FI on the PR.9.........:cool:

Roland Pulfrew
15th Jun 2006, 12:26
Hmmm....
to get a glimpse of the display between gaps in the corporate hostility tents?

Probably won't bother this year.

Surely you will be in one of the corporate hostility chalets again Beags, that's where we usually meet up! Airbus not having a chalet this year?:}

I did discuss the cost with some of the RIAT staff a few years ago and they pointed out that the event does appear expensive but....

If you get there as the gates open and leave when they kick you out you get some 12 hours of entertainment, so just over £2 per hour. My local cinema costs more than that and the entertainment only lasts about 2 hours. There is flying, static, aircraft, vehicles, fun fair (if you're into the sort of thing) and the post show concert and "party in the park". So quite a bit for your £30!! And no I am not part of the RIAT team (although I do think the corporate chalets should be away from crowd centre, after all their guests aren't really there to watch the flying).

And of course there are usually more foreign aircraft than UK military present so the taxpayer only "owns" some of the hardware!!:=

buoy15
15th Jun 2006, 18:57
Fox-1
"Kids go free"
Is that the Tornado guys?
Having done 10 RIAT, I couldn't help notice the segregation between the 'everyday operational' participants, queueing with paper plates
Given the size of the queue, some were lucky enough to get a burger and soggy salad, whilst the organisers, sponsors and solo winners, sat down to silver service for a 4 course with wine and trimmings, prior to the start of the Hangar Party
Have been fortunate to attend many International displays and statics, where every crew was valued and feted by the host country, regardless of rank or ac type - USA, Canada, Malta and South Africa come to mind - we all sat down together
There is such a thing as a free lunch - The Brietling tent takes some beating
Current Military Display Aircrew enjoy all these freebies - Do it guys - it's fun, and much better than working!
You don't even have to paddle your own canoe - there are limo's

Rigga
16th Jun 2006, 20:27
I'm settling for some Trade Days at Farnborough and visiting the Sponsors Chalets. All a bit more sedate (and filling) with access to some big stuff thrown in.

Oh - and its free!

newt
17th Jun 2006, 10:01
Got the message last year! In the FREE car park I saw a massive motorhome with 2 chairs and large umbrella on the roof!! Sitting in a chair on the roof, next to the cool box, was a guy with a cold beer listening to the display frequency on his fancy radio!! And when it was all over and everyone was heading for the traffic jam he could have a meal and a sleep before leaving in the morning!! Now thats the way to do it Mr Punch!!

Mead Pusher
19th Jun 2006, 08:54
I'll be there, but unfortunately won't be watching the show - I'll be working as a volunteer instead. Another fun sleep deprived week!

Clipped Wings
20th Jun 2006, 12:55
I'll be there (mind you as a brand new 'poster' on this forum you won't know me). I'll be taking either a JP5A or Strikemaster in for the static park. Come and say hello if you are passing.

CW

Green Flash
20th Jun 2006, 13:02
I'll be there for the seventh time for another week of applied lunacy in the flight centre. Departures day in the Shed can be quite busy!:\

vecvechookattack
22nd Jun 2006, 23:01
Is there an Apache conducting a flying display at any airshow this year?

DPWN
23rd Jun 2006, 08:08
I'll be there for a week prancing around in a pair of blue overalls trying to park the planes nicely.

Oh and attending a few wing parties no doubt. :ok:

Conan the Librarian
3rd Jul 2006, 21:34
I will be there from Tuesday, with a very good camera and suitably phallic lens, so if anyone is flying in and would like something for the bedroom wall, please PM me and I will make an effort to capture arrivals, rehearsals and displays as desired. As a civilian it is one of the rare occasions that I can give a small token of my appreciation back.

Conan

Rich Lee
3rd Jul 2006, 22:35
Is there an Apache conducting a flying display at any airshow this year?

The Dutch were supposed to display at Farnborough and RIAT but their committment to UN peacekeeping has required them to forego any displays this year.

Even though we presenting the V-22, the Boeing Company has made a late effort to replace the Dutch at Farnborough with a leased US Army Apache. We are more restricted in our display than the Dutch, but will do our approved display. At the moment the plan has yet to be finalized but we will fly our display on opening and public days. We may fly the entire show but that has yet to be decided. The Apache will not attend RIAT but hope the V-22 will.

Jackonicko
3rd Jul 2006, 23:12
Just make sure you get the BAE corporate journo shuttle on Friday......

Gainesy
4th Jul 2006, 07:52
With a MANPAD:)