PDA

View Full Version : Anyone near Bristol see a really low plane today?

RachandGarry
14th Jun 2006, 18:46
Hi

I was looking out of the window today (in Thornbury, Bristol) and a plane flew by. It was really really low. Can't tell what it was. It was dark grey, jet engines either 2 or 4. I think wings were top mounted, it was quite chunky and just looked like a shrunken Hercules!

Thanks to anyone who also saw it.

Rach

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
14th Jun 2006, 18:52
I saw one out near the airport.

cazatou
14th Jun 2006, 21:41
PHEW,
Didn't get my Registration then!!
PS - Joke

r supwoods
14th Jun 2006, 22:25
Yesterday ... very low over Pavilions .... sky went grey!

BEagle
15th Jun 2006, 05:55
Well - hopefully a few shiny-ar$es now remember what an aeroplane looks like....

It's Not Working
15th Jun 2006, 08:05
OK BEagle, I’ll bite. I’m one of these shiny ar$es that you are so dismissive of and have been for the last 3-and-a-half decades. And before you suggest it; yes, I could have done better at school!

Before I log off from CHOtS for the very last time perhaps one of your brethren might care to give this shiny ar$e a ride in their noisy pointy thing to remind me what an aeroplane looks like from the outside and show me what one look like from within? Anything will do (except Wiltshire’s and Oxfordshire’s finest – no disrespect but seen enough of them from within and without).

BEagle
15th Jun 2006, 08:11
Keep net and gaff, please, someone....:p

Good to know that at least one plumber is up for a flight. Hoepfully there'll be a pointy head able to oblige you?

Assuming that there's a serviceable jet, of course.

Zoom
15th Jun 2006, 09:01
I know it can be irritating when PPRuNers report every aircraft as they see it (not dissing you, Rach) but I would like to report a very stirring flyby by a pair of Chinooks yesterday morning at 1015hrs. My village in the Midlands is on a slight hill and these beasts came past the edge of it, about 100 yards away and turning left onto a westerly course, and looked as if they were about 30ft up. They weren't, of course, but it did look and sound bl**dy marvellous. They seemed to have a fair turn of speed on too. A couple of other villagers were chewing straw nearby and they were also impressed, and broad smiles spread across their faces as they fell off the wall. And the day before I saw a Merlin (I think - big sucker with a rear winglet on the starboard?) overhead at about 1000ft. No whingeing from this neck of the woods, then. At last, military aviation has returned to Little Snotpuck.

Sorry if I have irritated anyone.

breakscrew
15th Jun 2006, 13:34
I thought that the Chinooks had stopped trashing the countryside after the Heather Bell case. Obviously they are now like policemen and go around in pairs for mutual protection.

Zoom
16th Jun 2006, 08:34
Well, it was a rare siting. We get a lot of horse riders here, ambling past my window, cr*pping on the pavement, and mostly sticking to the roads rather than the fields. They generally cope most ably with the traffic and are probably not too fazed by the occasional low flight. Same for the horses.