PDA

View Full Version : A Torture Worth Risking?

soddim
14th Jun 2006, 14:58
Maybe anyone contemplating paying off the mortgage by working in Saudi for a while should look at the following link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/world/middle_east/5078118.stm

Zoom
14th Jun 2006, 15:05
In a nutshell:

Les Walker added: "It's all down to money and oil and planes. Don't upset the Saudis. That's the British government's view."

vecvechookattack
14th Jun 2006, 17:52
A torture worth risking ? Well if you want to play with fire then expect to get burnt. If these chaps are going to construct bombs with plans to maim and kill inocent civilians then they should expect a little more than

"His treatment by captors, which included being beaten on his hands and feet, being suspended by his arms, deprived of sleep and forcibly fed mind-altering drugs"....

They can thank god they don't live in London, have dark skin and wear a long beard...that would soon have the torture police knocking at your door.

Monty77
14th Jun 2006, 18:06
Anybody who goes to that country to make the tax free money should be in no doubt as to the risks they are taking, regardless of who is employing them. To take your family as well is to put them at risk too. No sympathy. They took the risk and lost.

I totally appreciate their innocence, but if they were not aware of the regime, they should not have been going there. There's a lot of money to be made in Iraq at the moment for 'suitably qualified' personnel. Would you? And if it all ended in tears, would you go a-gurning to the European Court of Human Rights.... the rest has been edited due to an outbreak of Tourette's Syndrome, for which, of course, I shall be seeking compensation from some other b*stard as it was obviously someone else's fault.

Basil
14th Jun 2006, 18:58
vecvechookattack,
Excellent point. If our ' Look at me; I'm a beardyMuslim ' yoof were treated like that they'd have something to complain about:*

soddim
14th Jun 2006, 21:07
You seem to assume, vecvechookattack, that the torture victims were guilty. Their only 'crime' was to be injured by an attack or to be somewhere close to one. Subsequent terrorist attacks in Saudi showed quite clearly that the source came from within that country and not from westerners.

Monty77
15th Jun 2006, 14:46
True, soddim, but if a westerner is shunted up the rear by a tail-gating local, it is the westerner's fault. No argument. One night in jail. So if you choose to go to a place that stages public executions and randomly/indiscriminately dishes out bizarre and unfair judgements, then in my book you go into it with your eyes open.

I think it's an unpleasant regime, but I'll never be incarcerated for planting the bomb that some other bugger planted and injured me, because I'd never go there.

soddim
15th Jun 2006, 15:37
Quite correct, Monty77. That was the purpose of the thread - it is just too easy to assume that the UK govt will look after British citizens. If it's a question of British commercial interests to hell with the mercenaries!

Monty77
15th Jun 2006, 19:27
We agree. Be you teacher, nurse or pilot, your future rests on the whim of unstable, unelected, individuals of dubious repute. That is not to say that the UK lacks it's own share of the above.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
16th Jun 2006, 02:19
a place that stages public executions and randomly/indiscriminately dishes out bizarre and unfair judgementsIf you read JetBlast, you'll think that's what most of 'em actually want :confused:

saudipc-9
23rd Jun 2006, 01:02
I was in Riyadh at the time of all of this and in my view Sampson did play with fire and got caught. I don't condone what the Saudi's did to him but Sampson got up to no good while he was there and now cries about how he was treated. He is a right pain in the arse and brought much unwanted attention to the expat community.
Oh and my mortgage is paid off and it was worth the risk.
Cheers

trilander
23rd Jun 2006, 12:33
I went and had a good 2 year tour, king fisal god bless him paid for my cpl and i never had prolems from the saudis. If you behave urself you have nothing to fear.