PDA

View Full Version : 2nd class JAA Medical?

martyngorton
14th Jun 2006, 12:57
Hi,

I am going out to Orlando in August to obtain my JAA - PPL. I need to get my medical done for this. Where can the medical be obtained? Is there only certain places in the country that do the medicals?

Where do I find out?

This would be a great help.

Thanks,

Martyn...

OpenCirrus619
14th Jun 2006, 13:33
Go here: CAA: Find an AME (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=49&pagetype=65&applicationid=21) and put your post code in.

OC619

pulse1
14th Jun 2006, 16:40
It seems to be less expensive if you use an AME who only does Class 2 medicals.

gcolyer
14th Jun 2006, 17:18
You will also need an FAA medical if you are going to train in the U.S

CherokeeDriver
15th Jun 2006, 13:58
Some CAA AMEs will also do FAA certs at the same time. It was cheaper for me to do this in the UK than have a whole seperate medical in the USA:) The FAA medical requirements are significantly lower than the CAA Class 2.

IO540
15th Jun 2006, 16:33
The FAA medical requirements are significantly lower than the CAA Class 2.

They aren't. The ECG requirements are easier between an FAA Class 3 and the CAA Class 2, but an ECG doesn't usefully predict pilot incapacitation anyway. Nearly all American PPLs fly on the Class 3 and it isn't an issue.

There are very few real health issues where you can get in under FAA and not CAA. I need glasses for my FAA Class 2 but don't need them for my JAA Class 2 - funny that; the opposite of what everybody would expect.

You will also need an FAA medical if you are going to train in the U.S

Is that true if training for a purely JAA PPL out there? I don't know.

Personally if I was going out there for JAA, I would make sure I return with both a JAA PPL and the FAA PPL. Never know when an FAA PPL might be useful, and they last for life.

gcolyer
15th Jun 2006, 16:44
Yep you definatley need an FAA class 3 (minimum) if you are going to train in the U.S, even if you are purely doing JAA course.

I done my JAA PPL in Florida last year. I had to get an FAA medical done before training commenced. You also have to complete the FAA Pre Solo written before you are allowed to solo in U.S airspace.

mcgoo
15th Jun 2006, 16:55
the FAA class 3 medical is nothing to worry about, the doctor asks you how you feel and if you can reply with ok you pass

IO540
15th Jun 2006, 17:09
the FAA class 3 medical is nothing to worry about, the doctor asks you how you feel and if you can reply with ok you pass

What a load of tosh.

gcolyer
15th Jun 2006, 17:22
I dunno my FAA class 3 was not exactly taxing.

Weighed
Measured
Blood Pressure
Reflexes
Eye test including color test
Pee in cup and dip a bit of paper in it
Answer a questionaire

Took about 10 minutes

bladewashout
16th Jun 2006, 09:28
Worth bearing in mind that if you ever *might* do any commercial or instructing, you need a class 1 at that time, and the class 1 initial is generally easier to get the younger you are. A class 1 acts as a valid class 2 even after the class 1 period expires, and you can get class 2 renewals in future, then upgrade to a class 1 again with a class 1 renewal which is a lot easier than the class 1 initial!

I wish I'd gone for the class 1 initial when I was younger.... eyesight in particular is +/- 5 at initial, +/- 8 at renewal!

BW

IO540
16th Jun 2006, 10:50
An excellent point, bladewashout.

Also make sure you get the Class 1 audiogram done when you are still in nappies. A lot of people fail this in their old age :) You've only got to fail it in one ear, with the other being perfect, and no JAA IR ever.

Many ageing airline pilots would fail the audiogram but now they need to meet only the renewal limits, which are so lax you can pass them while being totally unable to have any social interaction.