PDA

View Full Version : Latest Ryanair scam

Irish Steve
14th Jun 2006, 10:28
Warning. If you intend to buy refreshments on board Ryanair flights, make sure you have plenty of change before buying.

Got ripped off on saturday last weekend on the first flight of the day, and we were the first customers served, paid in Euro ( "our" currency) for drinks, and "they had no change".

Ok, it wasn't much, as I had some change, but I object big time when they don't even have small change given the astronomic prices they charge. The only reason I was buying at all was because the supposed facilities in the new Pier A extension at DUB are not operational early enough to be useful, and we needed a drink of some sort.

potkettleblack
14th Jun 2006, 10:36
I wonder if we all tendered a tenner after ordering and then due to their no change policy said oh well I am afraid I can't accept your coffee. Perhaps this would make them sit up and think? Although I have a vague recollection that the cabin crew on 10k a year might have to foot the bill so it probably wouldn't end up hurting RYR at all unfortunately.

My policy is to never buy off them in the first place. If I have purchased a 20 quid fare then I am damn well not going to give them a quarter more for some refreshments that is for sure. I can never understand people that throw money at the airlines on a relatively short hop for horrible instant coffee and tired old sandwiches.

Irish Steve
14th Jun 2006, 10:46
I can never understand people that throw money at the airlines on a relatively short hop for horrible instant coffee

Normally, I don't for exactly that reason, but when the alarm went off at 0345, ( and we live less than 15 miles from the airport, so the journey to the airport is not the problem) to ensure making an 0630 departure, due to the disaster that is laughingly called an airport at Dublin, and the day is going to be very long, an occasional drink is called for, given that last weekend was the hottest in Ireland for a very long time.

DrKev
14th Jun 2006, 11:12
If I have purchased a 20 quid fare then I am damn well not going to give them a quarter more for some refreshments that is for sure.

I think that's a bit silly, to be honest. Let's not deny ourselves a coffee and KitKat (and with it the faint possibility of a slightly nicer flight) just cause we dont like MOL getting any more of our cash than he already does. And of course a lot of people complain at a 20€ fare and then having to pay for refreshments but are perfectly happy with a similar snacks and refreshments that come gratis on a 100€ fare.

If we'd be happy to spend the cash somewhere else, why worry about it? Heck, it's not that much expensive than EI or the same cr*p at the franchises at Dublin airport. I just hate that it's always crap coffee or tea and sandwiches that they serve. If they're gonna charge that much (and not have change) the least they could all do is offer a decent product.

Besides, I can only assume that most people posting here are reasonably experienced travellers. Surely we know what to expect and can plan ahead? In MOST airports I can think of, most of the shops or cafés are not open before 7am. Even if cabin crew DID have a float available at the start of the day, all it takes is a few passengers ahead of you with only notes and that gets eaten up pretty quickly. I can't think why any experienced traveller wouldn't bring enough small change with them to be able to make up almost any price amount between 1c and 1€. It doesn't take that many coins. (The EI crews have always given me change back later in the flight).

bradfordboy
14th Jun 2006, 11:22
Rest assured this is not exclusively a Ryanair problem.
I can't remember the last time we bought any drinks or anything else and got the change immediately. Sometimes you are looking at rather a lot of change and you are hoping that they remember both you and the seat number. Every airline is guilty and presumably none of them provides a 'float' for the cabin crew or if they do then it is hopelessly inadequate.

Globaliser
14th Jun 2006, 11:26
Do they take CCs? That would solve the change problem, wouldn't it? Though CCs are only useful if the airline is geared up to do the transaction quickly. Chip+PIN in the UK is now so fast in many shops that CC transactions are much less of a hassle than they used to be, so I'm using my CC for ever-smaller sums.

But the best solution is surely to avoid flying with carriers that have buy on board? (I'll get my coat.)

DrKev
14th Jun 2006, 11:49
...presumably none of them provides a 'float' for the cabin crew or if they do then it is hopelessly inadequate.

Just like in any retail store, the float you start off with is somewhat limited by security. How much cash do you want to carry to work with you or leave in the "till" overnight? If the first three people all try to pay for small purchases with 20€ notes, you wont have much of your lovely float left. It's that simple and not it's not necessarily the fault of the airline or the staff.

dustybin
14th Jun 2006, 12:31
I work as crew ( not ryanair) and we carry a £20 float and on the first sector of the day everyone wants to pay with a £20 note and they don't want Scottish notes in their change:ugh: It has got to the point now i simple say sorry but can't sell you a 75p can of juice if you only have a £20 note and guess what they always find change they didn't have. Come on we are not a bank.

Irish Steve
14th Jun 2006, 13:04
Ok, clarification time.

Charge €5.20, tendered €5.50, as I try to limit the quantities of shrapnel to avoid hassles at security checks. First passenger served, so no problems about the float already gone.

Anywhere else on Dublin airport, there's refreshments available from about 0500, as that's when the rush for the early flights starts, and if we'd been in the "original" A pier, it would not have been a problem, but the "new" A pier is a good 15 to 20 minute round trip back to the rest of the airport at that time of the day, due to the massive over congestion in the "old" A pier section of the original terminal building.

TightSlot
14th Jun 2006, 13:41
This is how my employer operates:

On promotion, senior crew are given a £20 payment (via pay packet) for a float. Previously, there were change machines in the crew room where notes could be converted into coin. This meant that on most flights, £60 of coin was available. Then, things changed...

There was a service charge made for maintaining the change machines. The airline cut costs and removed the change machines, instructing the crew to obtain change from the monies taken on each flight. Since there is never as much change at the end of the flight as at the start, this policy ensures a constant shortage of coins at the start of each flight. Cabin Crew who complained were instructed to top up their float when visiting a bank. Since minimum rest between duties is only 11 hours, and sleep is viewed (by crew at least) as being important, bank visit opportunities are limited. The executive who took the decision to remove the change machines was subsequently promoted.

The airline then reduced the number of senior crew on each aircraft type to 2, and then 1, thus reducing the total (theoretically) possible amount of float available at the start of the day to £40 or £20. The executive who took the decision to reduce the number of senior crew was subsequently promoted

The airline Marketing department then adjusted the prices of the onboard products to levels (£0.99, 0.68, £1.95 etc.) that require the maximum possible diversity of change types. The executive who took the decision to remove... etc. etc.
All of these decisions were taken by people who from one month to the next don't set foot on board an aircraft, as is traditional in most airlines. The people who have to resolve the issues arising are of course the Cabin Crew, who find themselves in a position from where they cannot win whichever way they turn.

Recently, on those flights where the lack of change has become critical, I have taken to making a PA asking if those customers that have large amounts of change would like to exchange them for notes: I see this as a win for all involved, as many people don't wish to carry large amounts of change abroad. If done properly, the PA solves our problem, and theirs, and doesn't inconvenience others unduly (IMHO). The only regrettable aspect is that it makes us look disorganised and cheap - but needs must!

This situation strikes me as another example of how the impact of the LCC's salami slices quality for everybody. Gradually life gets a tiny bit more naff, day by day, or else you go to the wall.

Sigh... I was born too late- I should have been a steward on the Empire Flying Boats, back when they cared about service...

Avman
15th Jun 2006, 09:39
As I fly BA Connect regularly, I make sure that I carry 5 pound notes and plenty of change on me. I keep the change in a small film cannister with my carry-on bag. This way I'm able to give the cc the exact amount, which avoids hassle and helps expedite the service. When not flying, I make sure my cannister gets topped up for the next trip. If only the other pax were as well organised as me :}

I too find it strange that people complain about forking out 5 quid for a snack and a drink on a 20 quid ticket, when that total of 25 quid still works out much cheaper than a full service fare.

My experience regarding the quality of the food on BACon and Germanwings has been good. I'm not expecting a Michelin star experience!

Irish Steve
15th Jun 2006, 11:34
total of 25 quid

I wish:E

The flight might well be quoted at the booking stage as being 0.99 cents.

By the time the "taxes and charges", the "credit card booking fee" PER SECTOR PER TRAVELLER is added, and the "other charges" are added, the return flight for the 2 of us was well over €100.

I looked at a price for Dublin to La Rochelle the other day. Outbound was 9.99 plus taxes, return was 189.99 plus taxes. Low cost?

Low cost b:mad: ks

bradfordboy
15th Jun 2006, 13:42
Some low cost is low cost. Got an e-mail from Thomsonfly yesterday for flights from Doncaster to Paris. 99 pence both directions (28th June-30 June) and with taxes it turns out at £35.68 each for a return trip.
Now I think that is low cost and it shows that sometimes they are not kidding.:)

Monday
15th Jun 2006, 18:17
Steve, was it 30 cents you were missing?
Is this what this is about?
:rolleyes:

Irish Steve
16th Jun 2006, 12:42
Is this what this is about?

Yes and no. Yes, in exact monetary terms, no in the sense that this was the last aggravation at the end of a totally tedious and frustrating morning in terms of the hassles getting to the airport, getting through the airport (Dublin) and it's disastrous "security" system, fighting to get through the crowds to get to the gate, trying and failing to get a coffee before boarding, having to get through the rugby scrum at the gate, etc etc.

Ok, in monetary terms, not really an issue, though someone else mentioned £3, which I would be unhappy about, but in attiude terms, if a good few on each flight are treated the same way, it's a "nice little earner" for the cabin crew! Would you accept being short changed in a shop, or on a bus? Probably not, so why is it acceptable on an aircraft?

Desert Diner
16th Jun 2006, 18:14
I've suffered the same airport problems numerous times going through DUB on EI, BD as well as FR.

There was a similar 'scam' run by pax on transatlantic airlines. This involves the pax only having a $20 bill for a $2 drink. As you would guess, the cabin crew would eventualy run out of change and have to return the $20 to the pax.

Selfloading
17th Jun 2006, 08:35
Me and Mrs Selfloading are off to Turin next week cost us less than 18 quid each return inc all taxes and charges, you trying to tell me that aint cheap.

kriss1000
17th Jun 2006, 13:45
I work as crew ( not ryanair) and we carry a £20 float and on the first sector of the day everyone wants to pay with a £20 note and they don't want Scottish notes in their change:ugh: It has got to the point now i simple say sorry but can't sell you a 75p can of juice if you only have a £20 note and guess what they always find change they didn't have. Come on we are not a bank.

Come on pal surely youre havin a laugh, "no change for 20" you sell the the stuff, youre doing it for a profit as all profit making concerns do, cant see the problem with carrying change or doesnt your airline trust its staff, £20 is not a vast amount of money nowadays...

Final 3 Greens
17th Jun 2006, 14:02
There was a similar 'scam' run by pax on transatlantic airlines.

A scam? They offered money in settlement of a debt and the airline couldn't find change.

That's not a scam, its stupidity by the airline.

Pigsfly
18th Jun 2006, 11:58
This has gone on for years in FR, in my days on the Flight Deck there the Cabin Crew were forever asking us for our change. Its a pitiful situation for the Cabin Staff and went on every day ( I worked there for 6 years ). But thats only the start of the ROT.

If the cabin takings are short at the end of the days work, then the shortfall is removed from the crews monthly income.

This Airline is a shambles for those who have to work there and while pretending to offer low fares, will rob you blind at every chance. You will get the odd cheap seat, but God help your pocket when they catch you in need or a bit offside.

dustybin
18th Jun 2006, 19:03
Kriss1000, it's not that the staff are not to be trusted but some cleaners, caters, agents and believe it or not pax. In my old company a pax tried to pay for duty free using one of the crews credit cards, as our handbags are kept in to overhead lockers and they must think it is a free for all. I even had my jacket stolen from an aircraft, i heard another passenger telling them that it was a crew jacket but they still took it. Why? because my ID was in my inside pocket and felt like a wallet, it was handed in at departures, meaning they left the aircraft with it, collected their cases, throught customes and arrivals only to be disapointed by what they found and handed it in at departures. I have also seen passengers stealing things from trolleys when they think no one is looking. We carry limited change to limit the possible loss, travelex also charge us for getting change.
I have worked in shops, pubs and they all limit the amount of cash in the till for the same reason.