PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Miami Florida

havana_club69
14th Jun 2006, 07:48
HI,
Im heading to Miami in less than four weeks on holidays and am looking at doing an introductory flight over there, hopefully!!!
Can anybody recommend any schools over there that they would be willing to facilitate me?
I have been looking at different flight schools in florida over thet past few months (regarding a PPL) but this holiday has just cropped up and dont know of anywhere in the Miami area. Plus since I havent taken lessons before I reckon it could be the perfect opportunity for me to experience a trial flight
All help appreciated :)

Florida mud wrestler
14th Jun 2006, 08:37
Since you are only looking for a trial flight, turn up at just about any airport, large or small, ask for the GA (general aviation) area and somebody will fix up a flight for you. Flying in the USA is far less formal than here. Are you flying into Miami, Sanford or Orlando? there is a huge geographical distance between Miami and the other two. Do you know exactly what your itinery is? If you can be more specific, it may be possible to actually suggest a particular airport and school. There are no JAA schools in the immediate Miami area so you may just wish to settle for a trial flight at this stage.

havana_club69
14th Jun 2006, 09:25
Thanks for the reply, I didnt realise that was the case, I knew it was less formal but not that much. I am staying in Miami beach and am flying into Miami International Airport on 11th and leaving on the 21th july. As I said Im only looking into a trial flight anyway

EastMids
14th Jun 2006, 10:10
The main GA airfields in the immediate Miami area are Kendall/Tamiami (west of the city, just the other side of the tollway/turnpike - no further advice offered on how to get there!!!), Opa Locka (north of the city, just off the Palmetto Expressway south on Red Road), and North Perry (north of the city and north of the turnpike). Opa Locka is probably the closest to Miami beach and has a few training organisations IIRC, whilst Kendall/Tamiami and NOrth Perry are further but both probably offer more choice.

Andy

Florida mud wrestler
14th Jun 2006, 10:27
A good starting point might be Kendal-Timiami airport on 127th Street There is an FBO there, here is the link: http://www.silverexpress.com/
Americans are very accomodating so if they can't help, they will be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck!