PDA

View Full Version : UK CAA Nav exam

acuba 290
13th Jun 2006, 16:06
please. tell me how nav exam will be done? I 've meked last week a couple of exams, but i'm very afraid of navigation. I still not in friendship with my CRP-1 and would like to know, what exactly to expect there? Am i going to get a chart or it will be some ready flightplan to correct? Is it a lot of CRP-1 use need or not so much? It maybe so much to do and only 1h30 time allowed...

TractorBoy
13th Jun 2006, 16:26
You'll be provided with a chart which is current at the time of the exam issue. Using the CRP-1 needs to be second nature - to be honest, if you're not comfortable with it, don't sit the paper, as you'll probably fail.

Halfbaked_Boy
13th Jun 2006, 17:43
Acuba,

I passed my NAV exam about one year ago and was provided - as mentioned above - with a current chart on which I was to plot a route as mentioned per the exam paper. It is then simply a case of using your knowledge of navigation techniques and the CRP computer to fill in part of a flight plan, very akin to the ones you use in your everyday planning. All of this will be provided. But as aforementioned, be absolutely certain that you are comfortable in using the CRP, otherwise it may turn out to be not so pleasant an experience. The format will be multiple-choice questions, as well as a small section on Radio Navigation near the end of the paper. Best of luck.

Cheers, Jack.

acuba 290
13th Jun 2006, 18:50
ok, thankx for tips, i am just playing with CRP right now;)

Paris Dakar
14th Jun 2006, 11:59
acuba 290,

If it's any help I found the CRP Instruction Booklet more confusing than the actual bit of kit itself.

My way of tackling my confusion was by inputting really simple calculations that I could easily understand e.g. (no laughing mind ;) ) an aircraft fly at 60kts per hour and flies for 3 hours - how far will it travel. And, an aircraft burns 6 gallons per hour, how much fuel will it have used in four hours? I know this might sound very 'Mickey Mouse-ish' but it really did help me get to grips with it.

Good luck

Shunter
15th Jun 2006, 14:25
Make sure you brush up on finding locations on maps from their coordinates; degrees, minutes, seconds etc.. I spent about 25 minutes of my Nav exam trying to find the feckin airfields!

littco
15th Jun 2006, 15:15
It might be worth doing your Nav exam last, even just before the test, which is what I did. Simple reason is that by then you should have a better idea of what's involved due to having practical experience during your solo nav etc.

If I remember rightly most of it was plotting a route on a map, working out headings from winds, fuel and times, then plotting a diversion. The rest was made up of multi choice questions about VOR's etc. If you can master the Wizz wheel then you shouldn't have a problem.

Good luck though,

BroomstickPilot
15th Jun 2006, 17:34
acuba 290,

Here's a couple of things that might help. First of all, OATS (Oxford Air Training) produce a training CD on the subject of the CRP computer. It is really aimed at people doing the ATPL and using the CRP5 (which has a few extra features that need not concern you), but it is simple to follow and will teach you all you want to know and much more. It isn't cheap, but if you are that stressed out by the Crap then it may be worth buying. Better still, if you have any ATPL students at your club, ask them whether they have one to sell second hand.

I think you will find that the basic text books, such as Jeremy Pratt and Trevor Thom both have chapters on the Crap. I suggest you precis this chapter in whichever book you are working from and use it as a reference guide while you are practicing with the computer.

'Hope this helps.

Broomstick.

acuba 290
15th Jun 2006, 22:09
thanxx to everybody for your help and tips! I'll try to do my best;)

Captain Jock
16th Jun 2006, 16:00
Without wishing to sound rude have you asked your instructor for help?

acuba 290
16th Jun 2006, 21:56
Without wishing to sound rude have you asked your instructor for help?

my flying instructor comes from Germany and he also never used CRP...In Germany you can use electronic calculators like in other countries. Only in UK unf. i have to use CRP and i making my exam in UK school, so i have to learn it;)

BroomstickPilot
16th Jun 2006, 22:09
acuba 290,

Being German is no excuse. If your instructor is instructing in Britain, it behoves him to acquaint himself at the outset with the Crap computer. Otherwise, he is incapable of teaching the JAA navigation syllabus.

If he can't help you, he can hardly complain if you ask another instructor to assist you. If his fellow instructors won't help, then ask the Chief Flying Instructor. It will be for him/her either to teach you him/herself or instruct one of his/her staff to do it instead.

Broomstick.

acuba 290
16th Jun 2006, 23:20
i understand that- by the way. has anybody from you flying guys used CRP in flight for something? I have done now only 23 hours flying, but can not imagine using CRP in cocpit on C172. Just interesting, if it will be used once after exam? I also have ASA-2 Flight Calculator

coodem
17th Jun 2006, 07:29
Acuba

I have recently done my PPL as well, And the wizz wheel scared me, but I knew I had to learn it to do my nav exam. I also bought an electronic calculator. Guess what I use now? I use the wizz wheel, It is so much quicker.

Now most of you will say I am computer illiterate, But computers are my bread and butter. I love gadgets, but in my opinion u can't reinvent the wizz wheel.

I'm not saying I use it to plan all my flights, I tend to use Navbox proplan, But I have in the past had a last minute mid air change of route, due to weather and then I have used the wizz to get drift, the rest of the calculations I do mentally. The more I fly the more I am getting used to compensate for the wind, while Im on the move.

IO540
17th Jun 2006, 09:13
The great fallacy of the whizz wheel is that the winds aloft forecast is usually way less accurate than the accuracy achieved by ignoring the calculator and using one of the simple rules of thumb.

Shunter
17th Jun 2006, 14:24
has anybody from you flying guys used CRP in flight for something? I have done now only 23 hours flying, but can not imagine using CRP in cocpit on C172

I used mine for the diversion on my PPL skills test. After I've planned my winds etc before a flight, I just leave the dot on the back and it's the work of seconds to work out diversion headings/ETA's...

acuba 290
17th Jun 2006, 17:45
i would like to thank everybody here for your attention and good advices! Today i passed the exam with 88% and now got all 7 from 7 written exams done! Also 2 solo circuits (after 1st one done 2x days ago) today after exam has maked day nice;)

Jinkster
18th Jun 2006, 16:07
congratulations acuba290:ok:

acuba 290
18th Jun 2006, 17:36
congratulations acuba290:ok:

thank you all very much!