PDA

View Full Version : Two low flying jets over central London?

SteveQB
13th Jun 2006, 12:18
Just saw what looked like 2 biz jets flying v low, and in close formation over approx Trafalgar square (heading East). Anyone know what that was about? Always a bit worrying to hear noise of jets so close.
Cheers
Steve

treadigraph
13th Jun 2006, 12:54
They were a pair of Falcon 20s, looked like Flight Refueling. Came south-ish across West Croydon at about 1500' - 2500', and were turning in a westerly direction last I saw of them. Unusual sight over here...

chevvron
13th Jun 2006, 12:56
All above board. Pre-planned flypast co-ordinated with the various ATC units en-route by AUS.

ALLDAYDELI
13th Jun 2006, 13:53
I'm glad that you mentioned this.. I was in town today and heard the "whoosh" and I did wonder what the hell that was. Seemed to be going fast as the noise didnt last long.

Suggs
13th Jun 2006, 14:03
Came over my house in very tight formation less than 1000', maybe less than 500'. I live on a hill and they were very low.

Got to be honest I did worry.

In this day and age you never know.

They looked fantastic!!

potkettleblack
13th Jun 2006, 15:52
Remember seeing about 5 of them returning to BOH in formation not so long ago after a days exercise "bombing" the navy. They did what I think is called a break and run type of approach where they peeled off one by one when over the threshold and then did a circle to land all at reasonably low level. Very skillful indeed. Think most of the pilots are ex fast jet. Would be a great gig to get on.

Smudger
13th Jun 2006, 16:05
A run & break is a standard military maneouvre designed to get a gaggle of aircraft on the ground as quickly as possible. As most of the guys at FRA are ex-mil I guess that they would all have done it many times before. Great fun to fly and it looks good from the ground as well!

ComJam
14th Jun 2006, 11:18
It's a fun job :ok:

The split is around 60/40% ex-mil to civilian, we have Captains who are ex-mil fast jet and others who have a civilian flying background, the First Officers are almost entirely of civilian backgrounds.

Two bases, one at Bournemouth, the other at Teesside (or rather Durham Tees valley Airport!)

Dave
14th Jun 2006, 23:36
I think that they were FR Aviation Falcons doing a flypast for the service of rememberance for Sir Michael Cobham who passed away recently.