PDA

View Full Version : a career as a pilot

drumwaka
13th Jun 2006, 09:09
Im 17 and currently doing the 3 sciences and maths at a-level. I've got 10 gcses at b-a*, and hope to achieve well in my a-levels as well. I've wanted to be a pilot ever since i can remember, but i just wanted to know if i needed maths at a-level to join. Secondly, what route should i take to join as a pilot for the RN. What things should i consider to show that im willing to do anything to reach this goal?!
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! :)

Tom

cazatou
13th Jun 2006, 09:43
English Grammar @ Punctuation?

Don't ask me though - I'm a Cockney.

6foottanker
13th Jun 2006, 16:29
Sigh..... simple. like the thousands of others before you who ask the similar things, search using the search facility on pprune and your enquiries will be answered!

Maths not essential, just 2 Alevels.
But it does give you some useful skills.
Speak to your local RN careers office, details from the RN website (google it, cos I can't be arsed to find out the website address.
Do lots of extra-curricular stuff, join the sea cadets, just do lots of things you can boast about on a CV, and be great!

And if you really want to join the navy, the route I suggest you take is the same as the rest of them - the back passage :O

airborne_artist
13th Jun 2006, 16:46
Get yourself down to the AFCO, blagg an acquaint trip to Yeovilton or Culdrose, do some interesting things, get outdoors and challenge yourself (Duke of Edinburgh etc), and learn all you can about the Navy, defence policy and foreign affairs. Don't waste time and your own money on flying, apart from gliding.

PPRuNeUser0172
13th Jun 2006, 21:58
Join the Navy eh?

So you prefer to drop anchor in poo harbour then, so to speak...............good luck:}

saudipc-9
14th Jun 2006, 02:55
drumwaka,
As has been mentioned A-level maths is not required however, if you can do it then I would. It would open up a few options for you as your career progresses such as test pilot.

Cheers.