PDA

View Full Version : Glasgow International Experiences...

flyingisgr8
12th Jun 2006, 18:27
Hi all,
Does anyone have any experiences they would care to share regarding operating GA into EGPF? I am looking to fly an SEP to Glasgow and although Cumbernauld is the more likely (perhaps even more practical) option, I like the thought of flying into a larger/busier airport. This may also give me the option of flying later into the evening and arriving after Cumbernauld has shut? If I do choose to fly into Glasgow I would most likely fly IFR.
Basically any ideas of costs (landing fee, handling and parking) primarily - as well as the experiences of ATC would be great.
Thanks,

On the Spot
13th Jun 2006, 16:24
Unless you want to empty your wallet that is.
I don't fly there but I know people that do. The landing fee has just gone up for the club to around the £25 mark and that I believe is discounted. I enquired about visiting the flying club but would not be able to and so could expect to pay the full landing charge and compulsory handling on top of that. Our aircraft landed at Edinburgh and parked up overnight a couple of years back and that cost in excess of £50. No idea what they charge for IFR approaches. If you simply want to visit why not tyry Cumbernauld or even Perth.

'India-Mike
13th Jun 2006, 18:48
Took a Chipmunk and a Bulldog in there in Dec 2003 - VFR. Stayed 3 hours. Invoiced for £80 EACH. About half is handling, the remainder nav charge/landing fee. If memory serves me correctly, half is to handling agent, a quarter to BAA, a quarter to NATS.

Club pay £24 for first landing in a sortie. Unfortunately they're not allowed to handle visitors, so the concession can't be extended outside the club. (Yes, £24 is considered by BAA to be a concession!)

Remember, Glasgow Airport is just a shopping mall that happens to have a runway outside. That's where their priorities lie. Set down/pick-up outside the terminal building has also just become user very unfriendly as well.....

Go to Prestwick. Decent rail link as well.

flyingisgr8
13th Jun 2006, 20:40
Thanks guys, think Cumbernauld may be getting a visit from me then...

'India-Mike
13th Jun 2006, 20:47
Cumbernauld is fine. They're very helpful. But at Prestwick there's a 50 min fast train service to Glasgow Central. DON'T use PIK - pre-arrange with the Flight Centre at Prestwick 01292 476523 - cheap landing fee (£12 I think)

Maude Charlee
14th Jun 2006, 10:01
No experience of Glasgow handling, but as far as ATC are concerned, they are very GA friendly - much more so that EDI who treat you like a bloody nuisance.

And if you decide to try out Prestwick as an alternative, just make sure the flying club is open and prepared to handle. The GA handling is extortionate otherwise - surprised they didn't actually ride up in a black mask and demand the handling fee.

NorthSouth
5th Aug 2006, 16:20
C172 in and out in 20 mins, picking up one pax, in October last year: £108:mad: