PDA

View Full Version : Flying training during ATPL ground studies.

Philflies
12th Jun 2006, 16:45
Can anyone answer a couple of quick questions?

If you've got a PPL (no other ratings) with enough hours to start CPL but haven't sat ATPL exams, what flying training can you do during the 9 months it will take to do the ground studies for the ATPL exams? (the goal is f-ATPL)

Can you do the ME+IR in another JAA member state and still have it issued on uk issued JAR FCL - PPL? I was told IR's had to be done in UK now.

Ever confused...
Phil

Callsign Kilo
12th Jun 2006, 18:54
I think flight training at a high level such as CPL/IR should be conducted seperately to the ATPL groundschool. In order to perform well in all aspects of your training I think you would be better off treating the flight training and the groundschool seperately. I know the pressure of doing it all at once would quite possibly kill me! (thats if you could, which I don't know if you can?)

727Man
13th Jun 2006, 06:59
you have to of passed all 14 exams to complete the IR skills test!

dwshimoda
13th Jun 2006, 08:04
My FTO contacted the CAA to find out about me starting the CPL before finishing the exmas - I only have 4 left to do.

The CAA said it is fine to start the training, but the CPL skill test cannot be taken until the exams have been passed, and of course the qualifying cross country flight taken.

They also said that it should be made absolutely clear to me to understand that should I not pass the exams, the CPL skill test can not be taken, and this can lead to a lot of wasted money and time!

DW.

Philflies
15th Jun 2006, 12:16
Thanks for the replies.
I knew about the CPL not being able to be done until the ATPL exams are passed but I wasn't sure about other bits and pieces.

I presume I can do my Night Rating but can I do ME before ATPL exams?

Just trying to find useful ways of using flying time during the 6-9months of studying.

SILENT_BADGER
15th Jun 2006, 19:04
Yep you can take your MEP rating before completing the ATPL groundschool. I know a couple of people that have done this.

But I believe that the reason most don't do this is because they tend to do their CPL first in a complex single at a cheaper rate. Then go on to do the MEP rating nearer the time of their ME IR skill test. Doing the MEP first might risk getting a bit rusty on it and having to repeat stuff later. I don't know though - haven't done it.

Personally I'm going to do a bit more of my time in twins and take a bit more of a financial hit.

redflyer
15th Jun 2006, 19:28
you have to of passed all 14 exams to complete the IR skills test!

Not correct. A ppl(a) can complete the IR if they have night privileges on their licence. They need to have passed the following exams.

a)Air law/ operational procedures

b)Aircraft general knowledge

c)flight performance and planning

d)Human performance and limitations

e)Met

f)Navigation

g)Coms (IFR)

If you hold a CPL you get a 5 hour reduction on the course.

All the above info available through the caa website LASORS.