View Full Version : Do all skiers lean forward?

colmac747
11th Jun 2006, 17:13
I've been looking at some skiing websites in and about Dallas and the skiers going downhill seem to lean forward.

I suppose this allows them to achieve great speeds.

Anyone know if this is normal?

AerBabe
11th Jun 2006, 17:22
I've seen some leaning backwards. Usually just before they fall over.

This chap doesn't look like he's about to take a tumble though:

http://www.powder2glass.com/powder_skiing/snow_cat_skiing_pictures/Erik%20boye%20powder%20skiing.jpg

colmac747
11th Jun 2006, 17:31
Ah! His knees are pointing forwards though, and similarly his top half will lean forward too. His backside appears to be backwards (or defying gravity) or something:confused:

:}

kansasw
11th Jun 2006, 17:34
"I've been looking at some skiing websites in and about Dallas and the skiers going downhill seem to lean forward."
That's probably because all the pictures on the websites are of accomplished skiers who have good form.
"I suppose this allows them to achieve great speeds."
Not particulary, you can go just as fast leaning back, but you will soon lose control and crash. Put another way, you can ski much faster AND maintain control if you have a proper stance, than you can ski with control if you are out of balance, either forward or back. Maintaining control means having the ability to respond to changes in terrain and snow conditions, to turn, and to change speed. Proper balance is achieved with weight centered over the ball of the foot. This is called an "athletic stance" and is common to every sport. The exact appearance of the stance will vary with the discipline.
The instinctive reaction of a novice skier is to lean back in reaction to a sense of losing control. Learning to ski better involves unlearning this reaction and mainting a forward posture which allows better control.
"Anyone know if this is normal?"
Most skiers short of advanced levels lean back most or all the time. Most advanced skiers lean back, or more properly speaking, balance themselves farther back than is ideal, some of the time, though the appearance will not be as pronounced.

I am still awaiting the definitive word on construction cranes. I think they are dead vertical myself.

colmac747
11th Jun 2006, 17:53
kansasw The website below is very confusing...say i were to wear my ski boots and accompanied skis backwards, would i go just as quick forwards or slower backwards?

(about 1/4 down page) http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=Learning%20to%20ski

Never, ever, lean backwards. :mad:

Davaar
11th Jun 2006, 17:54
I've been looking at some skiing websites in and about Dallas and the skiers going downhill seem to lean forward.
I suppose this allows them to achieve great speeds.
Anyone know if this is normal?

This is known in Alpine circles as the "Reverse Dallas Anomaly", sometimes "die umgkehrte Dallas-Anomalie". Skiers lean forwards to achieve great speeds. Tower cranes lean backwards to achieve the same effect.

It is sometimes also true of skiers going uphill, though rarely of tower cranes.

con-pilot
11th Jun 2006, 17:56
Water skiers lean back wards, if that helps.;)

Davaar
11th Jun 2006, 18:00

That, of course, is the Reverse-Erse.

colmac747
11th Jun 2006, 18:05
Interesting posts from both Davaar and CP.:\

The water skier isn't really leaning backwards is he/she though? I mean, if the speedboat were to pick up a fair rate of knots the water skier would clearly lean(leap) forwards. :confused:

On the same context, if all the snow suddenly melted on the piste (yes, i've had a few today) the snow skier wouldn't have to lean forward:confused:

Isn't the law of physics enlightening?:suspect:

Davaar
11th Jun 2006, 18:06
Correction: "umgekehrte".

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
11th Jun 2006, 18:07
I've been looking at some skiing websites in and about Dallas

Oddly we don't have a lot of skiing around Dallas.

colmac747
11th Jun 2006, 18:11
Who rattled your cage?:p

:}

Davaar
11th Jun 2006, 18:14
I mean, if the speedboat were to pick up a fair rate of knots the water skier would clearly lean(leap) forwards.

I fear, colmac, you are a tyro who has stumbled, yes, I do believe that is the mot juste, into this study at the PhD level. A very few of the truly great water skiers, and regrettably many of the beginners, do adopt what we in the sport call the "forward-lean" or "Nostril-Schnorkel".

Keep up the good work. Go a little north to Glenshee where they used to practise the "Canopy-Climb", a parachute attached to the waist and deployed up the mountain, often known as the "Gooly-Pully-Bernouilli".

Chesty Morgan
11th Jun 2006, 18:19
When I first learnt to ski, the basic snow plough, we were told to lean forward. Eventually we were let on to the big boys slope and soon got bored with "not going above the yellow line". So we ventured up to the very top. About half way down I realised I couldn't remember the snow plough and that my speed was becoming rather excessive. At the bottom of the slope was a gentle rise used to help you slow down. Unfortunately as I was now doing about 60 mph, said gentle rise became something like a ski jump on an aircraft carrier. I therefore became airbourne and used my oh so delicate ribs to punch a hole through a five bar wooden gate several meters past the end of the course.

I now stick to sailing serenely around the south coast with a cooler of beer beside me:ok:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
11th Jun 2006, 18:42
Go a little north to Glenshee where they used to practise the "Canopy-Climb", a parachute attached to the waist and deployed up the mountain, often known as the "Gooly-Pully-Bernouilli".Up-Ski (http://upski.com/), made in Dallas :ok:

kansasw
11th Jun 2006, 18:58
"...say i were to wear my ski boots and accompanied skis backwards, would i go just as quick forwards or slower backwards?"

I am afraid your question is a tad unclear, but I think your feet would really really hurt.

G-CPTN
11th Jun 2006, 19:35
Up-Ski (http://upski.com/), made in Dallas :ok:
Might as well have a snowmobile . . .

G-CPTN
11th Jun 2006, 19:40
Water skiers may APPEAR to lean backwards, but, relative to the angle of the skiing medium I think you'll find that they would lean FORWARD on down-hill lakes.

Davaar
11th Jun 2006, 20:33
relative to the angle of the skiing medium I think you'll find that they would lean FORWARD on down-hill lakes.

Yes. This could be tested by the relative angle of dangle.

frostbite
11th Jun 2006, 20:37
Exactly the same principle applies to skaters (roller or ice), you lean forward for stability and to place the c of g in a more favourable position.

Confabulous
11th Jun 2006, 20:43
Where's that downhill icerink when you need it?

tall and tasty
11th Jun 2006, 21:24
I was going to say that water skiies always lean back. My father skied on snow and water for his college and at School as a young man and he said if you learn to ski on snow it was natural on the water to lean forward and end up half drowning. But it certainly helps with the direction down hill, on snow to lean forward and get up good momentum. I found skiing easy on snow, still find it unnatural to learn back on water and have not mastered water skiing at all.

Bit like the difference with skating on skates and roller blades, I can roller blade/skate with no problems still have problems on normal Ice skates. Just learning different techniques or Maybe it is just me!:p

TnT

G-CPTN
11th Jun 2006, 21:31
Exactly the same principle applies to skaters (roller or ice), you lean forward for stability and to place the c of g in a more favourable position.
Surely only when travelling forward? Methinks WALKERS also lean forward (except John Cleese).

Chesty Morgan
11th Jun 2006, 21:38
Surely only when travelling forward? Methinks WALKERS also lean forward (except John Cleese).

'cept when travelling downhill!

frostbite
11th Jun 2006, 21:39
No, if you watch skaters skating backwards (which the experienced appear to do more than forwards), they still adopt a lean forward stance.

(from one who used to run a skating rink, so I've seen a few)

G-CPTN
11th Jun 2006, 21:40
It's difficult to master this walking lark!

Chesty Morgan
11th Jun 2006, 21:40
Frostbite

But they still have their arse way out front, thus moving c of g forward ie direction of travel...nes pas?

G-CPTN
11th Jun 2006, 21:42
No, if you watch skaters skating backwards (which the experienced appear to do more than forwards), they still adopt a lean forward stance.
BUT they're actually leaning BACKWARDS relative to their direction of travel.