PDA

View Full Version : Vickers VC-10

Pilotdom
10th Jun 2006, 22:28
Was at Leeds/Bradford about an hour ago and a VC-10 came in and left again about 30 mins later. Was using an Ascot call-sign.

Anybody know what it was doing at Leeds?

Roadster280
11th Jun 2006, 00:45
Suspect any VC-10 at civ airport would be using an ASCOT callsign!

Rev I. Tin
11th Jun 2006, 06:12

Yes. Dropped off a pax.

Blessed is the old girl.

Fernando_Covas
11th Jun 2006, 15:15
Ascot is the callsign used by RAF Transport Command IIRC. I believe they also use Kittyhawk as a callsign.

Rev I. Tin
11th Jun 2006, 15:45
Ascot is the callsign used by RAF Transport Command IIRC. I believe they also use Kittyhawk as a callsign.

ASCOT is the callsign used by the RAF's Air Transport aircraft belonging to Hq 2 Group. Transport command long gone.

Kittyhawk is generally used by 32 (The Royal) Sqn (which is still officially part of 2 Gp, for you pedants out there).

Bless

PMN
11th Jun 2006, 16:42
Was at Leeds/Bradford about an hour ago and a VC-10 came in and left again about 30 mins later. Was using an Ascot call-sign.

I'm not sure but I heard it pass over somewhere near my house (around 8 miles south-west of LBA) It sounded incredible!

Paul

Dan Air 87
11th Jun 2006, 17:48
What! Dropping into LBA for one pax? Not very cost effective (with fuel and landing fees etc) so I guess it must have been a VVVVIP!

Pilotdom
11th Jun 2006, 17:50
I watched it land and take-off from runway 14. Was sat on the wall at the end of the loop. It sounded awsome from there,my ears were ringing for a good half hour afterwards.

PMN
11th Jun 2006, 18:11
I watched it land and take-off from runway 14. Was sat on the wall at the end of the loop. It sounded awsome from there,my ears were ringing for a good half hour afterwards.
I'm not happy. I spend A LOT of time at LBA either taking photos or flying out and I missed this! :ugh:
Paul

Rev I. Tin
11th Jun 2006, 18:21
What! Dropping into LBA for one pax? Not very cost effective (with fuel and landing fees etc) so I guess it must have been a VVVVIP!

Why MUST it has been a VVVVIP? How on earth did you arrive at that? A VC10 landed at LBA and dropped off one pax. That is all.

Rainboe
11th Jun 2006, 18:42
<What! Dropping into LBA for one pax? Not very cost effective (with fuel and landing fees etc) so I guess it must have been a VVVVIP!>

I would guess it was an illegal immigrant who claimed his human rights would be infringed unless he was fed ice cream and naughty magazines and delivered direct to his relatives up north. It is the way of Blairs' Britain! So it will be the way of Brown's Britain. Completely incomprehensible, but this is the land of letting rapists and murderers go whilst incarcerating Great Train Robbers for 35 years.

Avman
11th Jun 2006, 18:56
Bang on Rainboe :ok:

Pilotdom
11th Jun 2006, 19:00
Well it caught me by surprise. I overheard a guy mentionig it to his friend at the viewing area at the loop end. How did he know it was coming in? It was also busier than usual for a sat night up there where do people find out about these military flights. I was at LBA a couple of weeks ago Paul and im sure I saw a military aircraft parked at multiflight,looked like a hercules in size but couldnt see it for the multiflight hangar any ideas what that was? Also do you fly privatley from LBA? Im learning at Sherburn at the mo but am at LBA all the time!

MAN777
11th Jun 2006, 19:23
Sometimes the RAF make minor detours to regular flights usually for compassionate reasons ie family member on deathbed. So it doesnt have to be a VIP.

Rev I. Tin
11th Jun 2006, 20:07
Sometimes the RAF make minor detours to regular flights usually for compassionate reasons ie family member on deathbed. So it doesnt have to be a VIP.

And that was exactly why there was a VC10 at LBA. 1 pax dropped off for compassionate reasons. Hope you enjoyed seeing the flight but pause to think why it was there.:(

Oh, and to correct your point, RAF make major detours and launch short notice tasks in order for servicemen overseas to return home on the imminent death of a family member.

Cost effective? Who gives a toss?

Polehill.flt70
11th Jun 2006, 20:42
And that was exactly why there was a VC10 at LBA. 1 pax dropped off for compassionate reasons. Hope you enjoyed seeing the flight but pause to think why it was there.:(

Oh, and to correct your point, RAF make major detours and launch short notice tasks in order for servicemen overseas to return home on the imminent death of a family member.

I quite agree Rev. But it was an amazing sight, if noisy.

:- P

EastMids
11th Jun 2006, 22:08
ASCOT is the callsign used by the RAF's Air Transport aircraft belonging to Hq 2 Group. Transport command long gone.

ASCOT = Air Support Command Operational Task

A

PMN
11th Jun 2006, 22:59
Well it caught me by surprise. I overheard a guy mentionig it to his friend at the viewing area at the loop end. How did he know it was coming in? It was also busier than usual for a sat night up there where do people find out about these military flights. I was at LBA a couple of weeks ago Paul and im sure I saw a military aircraft parked at multiflight,looked like a hercules in size but couldnt see it for the multiflight hangar any ideas what that was? Also do you fly privatley from LBA? Im learning at Sherburn at the mo but am at LBA all the time!

You certainly did see a military aircraft parked at Multiflight. It was a Saudi Air Force Hercules. We had one in a few weeks ago that was diverted from MAN, and one again the other day. I understand they're using both LBA and MAN from now on, although I have no idea what they're actually doing!

As for flying, I don't fly privately. I just do 50-60 commercial flights a year, mostly originating from LBA. How often are you up there?

Paul

Fernando_Covas
12th Jun 2006, 12:55
Kittyhawk is generally used by 32 (The Royal) Sqn (which is still officially part of 2 Gp, for you pedants out there).
Bless

It's been a few years for me..... ;)

lukeylad
12th Jun 2006, 14:53

i heard some thing bout that once, a solder in afganistan needed to get home to his dieing mother so they diverted a c130 to pick him up delayed the c-17 to get him home then had a helicopter waiting to take him direct to the hospital.

Rev I. Tin
12th Jun 2006, 15:24
It is the one thing that the UK Military does very well. It is a regular occurence, about 2-3 times a week on average.

Pilotdom
12th Jun 2006, 15:52
Paul Usually up there 2/3 times a week if work allows. Also go in the evening and can walk the dog at the same time.

gdiphil
13th Jun 2006, 09:19
It is to my lasting regret that in 1978 I had the opportunity of buying a ticket on BA to Brunei and flying on a VC10 and to then connect to Kuching, or flying with SIA to Singapore on a B747 and then on to Kuching. I took the latter and of course have never been on a VC10. Sods law that one. However one consolation is that I was allowed on the flight deck on the SIA aircraft on the Orly to Dubai leg. Fantastic memory that and of course now impossible. But I still regret not taking the BA flight (and I never regret not taking BA flights in economy!).

the_fish@blueyonder.
13th Jun 2006, 19:11
I am almost 100% certain I saw this VC10 flying over my town this afternoon at about 1400.

It was quite low, so I presume it had just left Edinburgh, heading north, my friend thought it might have been heading to Leuchers in Fife.

It was so low that the tail was only just scraping the cloud base. There were contrails coming off the wingtips, it would have made a brilliant picture, however I had no camera to hand. :{

Smudger
14th Jun 2006, 20:14
I may be wrong, in which case I apologise in advance, but I believe Mr T Bliar uses the VC10 as his personal transport so the sight of a magnificent Vickers airliner dropping off one passenger near his constituency shouldn't be too much of a surprise.....

Rev I. Tin
14th Jun 2006, 21:35
I may be wrong, in which case I apologise in advance, but I believe Mr T Bliar uses the VC10 as his personal transport so the sight of a magnificent Vickers airliner dropping off one passenger near his constituency shouldn't be too much of a surprise.....

Yes you are wrong:

a) It was a compassionate. Already told you that!

b) Bliar doesn't use it as personal transport.

Do you honestly think he goes around on his own?

Rainboe
14th Jun 2006, 22:29
All the same, how can we get this lot out? They resemble Major's lousy government now. Something gets politicians not only useless, but actually counter productive after a few years in power, which this lot are like. Just to stop thread criticism, if it was Bliar, let's nail him! But it wasn't, so we can't nail him on that.

robo283
18th Jun 2006, 16:14
You certainly did see a military aircraft parked at Multiflight. It was a Saudi Air Force Hercules. We had one in a few weeks ago that was diverted from MAN, and one again the other day. I understand they're using both LBA and MAN from now on, although I have no idea what they're actually doing!
Paul

There was one in about ten days ago and by Friday (15.6) there were two.

Shame I missed the VC10; I flew on a three as a kid, all to/from/within Africa. The last was the Air Malawi machine. More recently (relatively) I flew on an IL-62 of LOT which was an interesting if hair-raising experience. Ahhh, nostalgia!

paddyboy
18th Jun 2006, 20:58
RAF make major detours and launch short notice tasks in order for servicemen overseas to return home on the imminent death of a family member.
Well said that man...:D

chiglet
18th Jun 2006, 22:13
gdiphil,
In my job [ATCA] I was fortunate to partake in an Air to Air Refuelling sortie, with another VC10 in [[B]very[B]]close formation in "Transit", :ok: Both "Tank" and "Recieve" from 2nd VC10, then have 4 Mighty Fins take fuel as well...then it was several circuits and "touch and goes" before [sadly] doing a "Full Stop" landing :D :ok:
Oh yeah, I was in the "jump seat" for a lot of the trip :cool:
watp,iktch

surely not
19th Jun 2006, 16:49
Rainboe, if you want a political thread why don't you wander off to Jet Blast and join/start one that is there already?

A shame they never re-engined the VC10 with something more economic than the Conway. Built like a brick outhouse it could rival the B52's for length of service with new engines :E

Rainboe
19th Jun 2006, 17:55
Well somebody else brought up Bliar, but let's put him to rest.

There were no alternatives for re-engining. It was a long range, heavy fuselage, and its economics would never have worked out. I think its empty weight was several tonnes more (maybe up to 7) than a 707. At the time it mattered, no other engine could have fitted the bill- you couldn't get paired CFM56s on either side. A wonderful machine, but of its time- the 60s. That darn Bill Boeing got the right formula.

chiglet
19th Jun 2006, 18:09
And BEA/BOAC "managed" to c0ck up the UK Aviation Industry......
ie, "Designer Aeroplanes"...["Original"] Trident......too big....want the B727-100. Eventually got the Trident3, original size..underpowered, hence 5 engines.
VC10, Designed for "Empire" routes.....even though the "Empire" was fading
watp,iktch

microlight AV8R
19th Jun 2006, 20:43
VC-10 was (is!!) far more refined than a 707. I came back from Aden in a BUA one in 1967, a wonderful aeroplane. The reason for success of the 707 was probably more due to economics and the economies of scale. A certain colonial airforce ordered several hundred tankers of the 707 family. Now, if the VC-10 had the benefit of a launch customer placing orders on that scale history might have been different. I for one will miss her when the time comes for retirement, she certainlt is the Empress of the skies.

Agree that there probably isn't a practical re-engining option for the VC.

I understand that our colonial friends at Mildenhall sometimes position their tankers at Lakenheath instead of Mildenhall when crosswinds are unfavourable. Just take a look at how low slung those CFM's are.

PAXboy
19th Jun 2006, 21:44
First flight of my life, aged 9, on a VC-10 to JNB, also on the Super. As I have read ... the VC10 was engineered for many of the Hot & High fields of the Empire. These had short runways (natch). So the engines needed to get the new machine off the ground in that space had to be powerful.

The Americans took a practical alternative: Pay the foreign countries to upgrade their airport to the new international standard to cope with the jet age and provide longer runways. Once that was done, who are they going to buy their new jets from...?

By the way, in apportioning blame for fouling up the UK air industry, don't leave UK GOV out of it, they had their fingers in ALL the pies (airports and carriers) and made as big a mess of it as they later did to the nationalised UK car industry.

12 twists per inch
20th Jun 2006, 21:59
30 minutes turn round..... must have been a great Ground Engineer!:D Considering the normal military f$$k ups, we do compassionate cases really well. And so we should.........irrespective of cost

HZ123
21st Jun 2006, 06:47
I was involved in BA security in the 70's and also have happy memories of the VC10 at Columbo and Beirut. On one ocassion at the latter the catering truck impacted into the wing and a temporary plate had to be fitted to get the a/c out as it was not insured overnight, the job done the a/c took off using what aeemed to be 100% power and then returned to do a low pass, awesome. Some of you will also remember two others that BA looked after VJ 'Gulf Air' titles and VE UAE. VJ was very popular as for the crews it was a big money earner and it often went to strange places. I saw VE on one occasion on one of the Scottish islands, perhaps Stornaway?

Farrell
21st Jun 2006, 11:52
Isn't the callsign "Kitty" until the VIP is picked up, and then "Kittyhawk" or am I wrong? :8

Skipness One Echo
21st Jun 2006, 17:03
Right we need to stop this nonsense now. There is to be no more sacriligous chatter on the re-engining the wonderful Vickers Mk 10 noise and smoke machine.

There are enough modern aeroplanes whistling over my head as it is.
Now stop my dinosaur as I need to get off.

Aaaah Vickers..... brought up watching BA Supers at Prestwick. Happy days. Went to see G-ARVM at Cosford to say goodbye before the JCBs arrive. Hurry - while there's still time:{

Regis Potter
21st Jun 2006, 17:29
Farrell

I was under the impression that the "Kitty" callsign was used when carrying the VIP baggage & "Kittyhawk" when VIP on board.

This is HRHTQ's callsign, right?

Nov71
21st Jun 2006, 22:38
ICAO Callsign: Ascot/Kittyhawk
IATA Code:
ICAO Code: RRR
Known As: RAF-HQSTC (Air Transport)
Full Name: RAF-HQSTC (Air Transport)
Web Site:

ICAO Callsign: Kittyhawk
IATA Code:
ICAO Code: KRF
Known As: UK Royal / VIP Flights
Full Name: UK Royal / VIP Flights (in military aircraft)

Who is HRHTQ? - HMQ?

harrogate
23rd Jun 2006, 22:17
As for flying, I don't fly privately. I just do 50-60 commercial flights a year, mostly originating from LBA. How often are you up there?
Paul

The Saudi C-130s are a regular night-stop feature at LBA now, as well as Manchester.

They're ferrying arms to the USA for re-certification. They don't want to buy new weapons.

This is all I know, but it'd be nice if someone knew more and could tell. God knows why they don't use somewhere like Leeming or another military base.

The press would love this if they got hold of it, just because they'd make a real meal of it. It'd make a great sensationalised tabloid story.

Bring out the NIMBYs!

DarkStar
25th Jun 2006, 00:44
I had the honour of flying on the flight deck jump seat of VC10 XV101 in 2003 AKT/HAJ/BZZ. Simply a wonderful and unforgetable experience. The noise, the power and the knowledge that I was experiencing a very special couple of sectors.

Ah, those were the days....

FFP
12th Jul 2006, 11:22
I know why the VC-10 was there. I was on the crew . .. . . .

It was indeed a compassionate case from Germany. As mentioned, it's one of the good things the Forces do. Depending on how severe the emergency, aircraft will be re tasked or even diverted on route to pick up people and drop them off at the most convenient and practical airport.

As for the turnaround, we carried enough fuel out of Hannover to be able to hop back to Brize Norton afterwards, so the GE had a quick look around outside and we we're off. Being 6000` long, we needed to make sure we we're light going in so we could stop in time. Herc was scheduled to do the task, but was unable in the end for a variety of reasons.

Tried to be as quiet as possible when we left, but she's a noisy girl and it's difficult. We have procedures that help to minimise the noise and keep as much as possible on the airfield, but she was light and went up damn quickly !!

Did anyone get any pics ??!??!?!

foxile
12th Jul 2006, 12:00
For me always has been and will remain my favourite aeroplane. Remember seeing them as a common occurrence at LHR and LGW in the late 60s and 70s. BOAC/BA, Ghana, EAA, MEA, BUA, British Caledonian, Air Malawi, have I missed anyone?

My father flew as a PAX quite a lot in that period and has always said that his flights in the 10 were far and away the best for ride and comfort.

I travel regularly myself now but will always likely be limited to an Airbus or Boeing variant. Have since childhood only really wanted to fly on only two types, a Tu-134 (I know, :8 ) and by far and away the most, a VC-10. Achieved the former a couple of years ago as part of a 40th birthday pressie but sadly more chance of winning the lottery than achieveing the latter.

I agree it will be a sad day when the last of these graceful ladies lands for the last time but hey, thanks for memories :)

ContinentalC85
12th Jul 2006, 15:08
What have a VC10 and a Choirboy got in common ?

..They've both been f****d by Vickers

The SSK
12th Jul 2006, 15:22
For me always has been and will remain my favourite aeroplane. Remember seeing them as a common occurrence at LHR and LGW in the late 60s and 70s. BOAC/BA, Ghana, EAA, MEA, BUA, British Caledonian, Air Malawi, have I missed anyone?

Gulf Air, Nigeria Airways.

It was a Nigeria Airways aircraft that crashed at Lagos on a flight from London, in 1969 or 1970. I helped to check it in at LHR.

foxile
12th Jul 2006, 17:56
I had forgotten those two. Gulf Air's beginnings, of course.

I see from airdisater.com that all souls were lost on the Nigerian. Not a pleasant memory for you I guess...

Foxile

Bigt
13th Jul 2006, 09:11
On the re engine sub thread .......there was one with a RB211 hanging off one side instead of the 2 conways............

Any of the crew of that one care to comment?

zarniwoop
13th Jul 2006, 11:21
I can remember seeing the 3 engined VC-10 at RAF Kemble around 1978. If I remember correctly it was due to be scrapped because of the airframe being twisted, the RB-211 overpowering the 2 Conways.

Sorry I can't offer any more.

chevvron
13th Jul 2006, 11:25
There was a plan to re-open the VC10 line with the build of 2xRB211 powered '10s; I believe the Chinese were particularly keen on them.
There was also one parked at RAE Bedford for many years; I seem to recall it had experienced a heavy landing and was deemed unairworthy; it was an ex BUA one with the cargo door.

m5dnd
13th Jul 2006, 20:03
My Father was one of the team from Weybridge who, with the RR team, put the RB211 on G-AXLR ( I forget the mil reg). Work was done at Hucknell.

I still think the VC-10 is best looking aircraft around (Us guys like curves !!).

Cheer's

M5DND

keel beam
14th Jul 2006, 02:10
I think the military reg was either XR807 or XR809, certainly one of the XR's.

I too love the VC10. I flew on them a lot as an Air Cadet based at Bampton/Brize Norton, sometimes three times a week in the summer holidays.... sad but true.
My last VC10 flight was by BA from Cairo in 1980. It is a pity they were not re-engined with RB211's but at the time Twin Engine Ops over the pond was not allowed.

foxile
14th Jul 2006, 08:13
I think the military reg was either XR807 or XR809, certainly one of the XR's.
I too love the VC10. I flew on them a lot as an Air Cadet based at Bampton/Brize Norton, sometimes three times a week in the summer holidays.... sad but true
Yes, it was XR809. Often saw it flying fairly low around the South Leicestershire countryside. Guess it was going to/off Bitteswell at that time?
You guys next to the stations were always the lucky ones. We just had one 15 min stint in a Chippy from Newton per year. Not that I am ungrateful but no comparison to your experiences. :{

NutLoose
15th Jul 2006, 19:39
I can remember seeing the 3 engined VC-10 at RAF Kemble around 1978. If I remember correctly it was due to be scrapped because of the airframe being twisted, the RB-211 overpowering the 2 Conways.

Sorry I can't offer any more.

It was scrapped because after the trials some numpty filled the cockpit and cabin with ready mixed concrete to keep it from bouncing around in the wind........... from what I have been told by a Rolls Member involved, they went back to look at using it again and were told to look in through the DV window only to find the tops of the seats and instruments poking out through a layer of solid concrete..........

NutLoose
15th Jul 2006, 19:42
Worked on the C1 for some 6 years plus....... all of em at Brize............. Queen of the skies, And yup it was me, :D I fitted the trim cover over the baggage shelf fitting that fell off and hit Maggie Thatcher on the Head :D:D:D:D:D:D

rfw1
16th Jul 2006, 15:46
one of these just flew at about 500 feet over Eastleigh, heading roughly north. any clues why - we are not that close to fairford and they cant land at SOU unless i'm mistaken?

exloadie
16th Jul 2006, 20:30
Had the pleasure of flying in one in 1980 one of the best rides ive ever had :D :D :D :D :D

I remember one came into Liverpool a few years back to drop some troops off,and when it powered up to move off the ramp it blew over a few boxes of live lobsters,ended up all over the apron with loaders wetting themselves with laughter as the airline staff rounded them (lobsters) up

jongeman
21st Jul 2006, 15:20
I travel regularly myself now but will always likely be limited to an Airbus or Boeing variant. Have since childhood only really wanted to fly on only two types, a Tu-134 (I know, :8 ) and by far and away the most, a VC-10. Achieved the former a couple of years ago as part of a 40th birthday pressie but sadly more chance of winning the lottery than achieveing the latter.
I agree it will be a sad day when the last of these graceful ladies lands for the last time but hey, thanks for memories :)

I was fortunate enough to travel on a VC-10 in April 1977 which routed MAN-PIK-YMX-YYZ and return. I remember very little about it, apart from the sight of an AC 747 at a snowy Mirabel, and throwing up on the way home to MAN.

1859sqn
21st Jul 2006, 21:03
Flew out to Muharraq in 1970 on one. Lovely and quiet, lovely and smooth..........

overstress
21st Jul 2006, 22:10
Flew on the jumpseat on one in the Brize circuit in about 1987...

Lovely, noisy & bumpy! Loved the voice activated autothrust....

pzu
21st Jul 2006, 23:19
As a 'kenya cowboy' missed the East Af VC10's, saw the BOAC & BUA one's through Nairobi & Entebbe, even knew various 'uncles' who flew them - DAD was East African High Commission ATCO in Entebbe from '64 to '66;
Was SLF to Dubai in '71 - '73 and also back from Freeport, Bahamas via Bermuda in '74;
But most memorable trips were LHR via DOH to SIN in '74 & 75 (& return), flight was allegedly fastest to OZ (Melbourne) at that time - chief problem was dry run from DOH to SIN - OK the Gin ran out, but we had our DF's, the problem was the lack of Tonic - BA as it had become reckoned that apart from no liquor pick up in DOH they couldn't uplift Tonic :ugh:
PZU - Out of Africa

Rainboe
22nd Jul 2006, 18:29
Overstress- we used to love the voice-activated autothrust. Impressed so many people. We used to have visitors say 'No.4- reduce power!', and it so amazed them when No.4 started moving backwards. Nobody ever noticed the Flight Engineer had his own thrust levers!

Because the close engines would throb like a piston twin if slightly out of phase, there was a gauge on the F/Es panel with three little needles going around to show engine speed on 1, 2 & 3 compared to No.4, the baseline engine. They were each labelled FAST and SLOW. This helped the F/E get the engines operating at exactly the same speed. We had a tubby kid on the flight deck once, and when we got fed up with them we'd stuff a headset on them and leave them to listen and watch. Eventually this kid tapped the F/E on the shoulder and said imperiously 'No.2's a bit slow'- without having any idea what it meant. It affronted the F/Es professional pride pride, they used to get very protective of 'their' engineering department- he was seething. If he could have opened a window, he'd have slung the kid out. For the rest of the trip, we could spoil his day be repeating 'No.2's a bit slow' to him!

Hated F/Es. It was always their job to conduct the new pretty and innocent young stewardesses into the Electronics bay to show them the fabled 'Golden Rivet' when the rest of the crew put them up to it. Always involved bending right over in a cramped compartment looking through the periscope (used for undercarriage inspection) blackened with shoe polish so they had a nice blackeye when they walked through the cabin. Ah nostalgia!

Rather unbelievably, in those pre-INS days, we used to navigate with a pilot taking sextant readings, with his eye stuck to the sextant and unable to move a muscle. That was usually a cue for the most attractive stewardess on the crew to come up to the FD and grab him by the meat and 2 veg and shake him about screeching.

It was pathetic what used to make us laugh. You have to do something to relieve the boredom while you wonder how you will ever find Bermuda using sextant navigation and Loran fixes. We didn't lose any (well not many).

(Having just been banned for a week 'for making a public pronouncement', this may be my last post for a while)

microlight AV8R
23rd Jul 2006, 14:07
Flew out to Muharraq in 1970 on one. Lovely and quiet, lovely and smooth..........

Came back from Khormaksar(Aden) in one in 1967. A real beauty of an aircraft, British United Airways. I was only 7 then but I can still remember taxying out and looking down the wing as it gracefully moved up & down as we crossed the apron. I remember my Dad balancinmg a thrupenny bit on the fold down table /tray as we flew along so smoothly and quietly. the take off was quite amazing !! I know it would not count for much now, but such a steep take off in a very hot place was pretty special in those days.

She has to be the most majestic jet airliner ever built bar none. Empress of the skies.

I'd love to see one of the original RAF examples back in the 'shiney fleet' colours before the sad day comes.

Can anyone point me to any photos of BUA VC-10s on the web?

LysanderV8
23rd Jul 2006, 16:15
Go to www.airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net) and put in g-arta or g-asiw or g-asix

Oh happy days

Lysander (ex Caledonian, Caledonia//BUA and British Caledonian)

LysanderV8
23rd Jul 2006, 16:17
Sorry, missed g-atdj, the fourth one we had

Cheers

Lysander

microlight AV8R
23rd Jul 2006, 20:44
Thanks Lysander, some nice pics there of the Ten looking just gorgeous in British United colours, most majestic.

I can still recall my flight from Aden despite it being in 1967 and at the tender age of seven!

The flight was great but weather in Uk was abysmal. We were diverted into Le Bourget due to most of the UK being fogbound. Lyneham was intended destination I believe, but eventually ended up in Manchester!!
We arrived in winter with no suitable winter clothes and wanted to go back to Aden, despite the natives being restless.

I wonder if any ex BUA aircrew might read this and recognise the details of the journey?

Edit: spellnig corerctnoi

Truck2005
24th Jul 2006, 19:20
Microlight,

Have a look here. Exclusive VC10.

http://www.vc10.net/index.html

Nov71
25th Jul 2006, 00:14
My one bad memory was sitting under a skycot for the 8 hour overnight leg Cyprus-Gan hoping the canvas was waterproof. On the return leg we thought we had the VIP seats at the back (they had curtains around them). 30 mins into some ZZZ's we were awoken and told to move; we were in the seats used by nursing mothers for breast feeding!