PDA

View Full Version : 250 hours or 1000 hours?

flyer_spotter
9th Jun 2006, 09:48
Hello I'm really interested in aviation and always want to become an airline pilot when I grow up...I've been looking for aviation school recently and encounter a fair bit of questions...I have searched around on this fantastic forum but found nothing that really answers my questions...forgive me on this!:)

1: I realised some schools provide 1000 hour programme, while others don't, is this better than just getting the CPL? I heard the hardest part of building hours is the first 1000 hours...any advice?

2: If I have just finished CPL in the US/Canada, what is my chance of getting accepted by a charter airline? (say X/10?)

3: If I go the CPL/1000 hour programme, would I be able to pay off the debts (for flying school) after the training? what if I can't find a job?

4: and finally...is a degree (uni, bachelor, master) very important in aviation? without them, very hard to find a flying job?

Thanks for your great help, any input would be great appreciated!
flyer_spotter

Texasishy
9th Jun 2006, 10:36
Hi there,

Well - some might say that you are doing the easy bit now and the tough stuff is still to come.

I can't really advise you on how to proceed from here, thats all personal choice, but there are several options open to you.

First question is where exactly can you work?

You said US/Canada. I assume you are in North America which is a different beast from Europe.

Your chances of getting hired in North America with even 1000 hours by a charter airline arn't great. You need to instruct. That a great way to build time and earn some cash.

Debt is part of flying unless your super rich and don't care. I'm still paying off flying loans 10 years later.

A college degree helps, but is by no means essential. Loads of pilots I have flow with over the years havn't been to University.

I did my licences in Canada and the US years ago and the best way without a doubt is to do your instructors rating and teach for a couple of years.
For North America you need to get your ATP and as many hours as possible. Europe works slightly differently in that you can end up with a frozen ATP with 250 hours. You need the 1500 for FAA or TransCan.

Once you get the magic 1500 hours you can start applying for jobs in Northern Canada. Yellowknife and Edmonton and places like that fly Twin Otters up North. There are also turbine jobs in Africa and South America. They will often take lower time pilots. Its all about being in the right place at the right time. As long as you are willing to go wherever the job is, you should be ok.Thats a good way to get some turbine time under your belt.

Then its just a case of applying to airlines and never giving up. This isn't an easy industry to get into and get on in, but lets face it, we are all here because we love to fly and one day you will wake up and realise you have got where you wanted to go. Allow for about 10 years for your first jet. If you manage faster great, but it could take that long.

Good luck to you.

richie-rich
9th Jun 2006, 12:10
hey Texasishy
do you think they would employ an Aus pilot with 500 hrs with a frozen CPL?

curious.
richie

flyer_spotter
10th Jun 2006, 10:20
Fantastic, thanks for you detailed and informative reply, Texasishy!:ok:

Texasishy
11th Jun 2006, 01:40
Hi Richie,

Depending on where you go, you should be able to get a turbine job with your time. Several guys seem to be heading over to East Africa at the moment and are getting jobs on Twin Otters, and Let 410's.

The licence conversion is a bit of a pain if you only have CPL as you will have to sit around 6 exams to convert to the local licence. Then you have the hassel with work permits and finding a job.
It will take about 6 months and cost about US$8,000 but there are jobs available for those willing to go and just turn up on the doorstep.
I did this a few years ago and it was some seriously great flying in the end. I ended up staying there for a couple of years and got about 2000 hours multi turbine out of it.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you.