PDA

View Full Version : GA-8 Airvan Tour To Broome Starts 13/6/06

ozzieausterdriver
9th Jun 2006, 09:20
Hi Folks,

The tour begins on Tuesday 13/6/06 from Melbourne. Pics will be posted with daily updates. Estimated 3,500 miles in 3 weeks. Ending up with Auster back to Melbourne!!!!

Regards. CH.

MEON VALLEY FLYER
9th Jun 2006, 09:36
Chris. Do you mean your flying the van to Broome and the Auster Back ?

Did you take an auster over there or buy one of the many local examples.

LowNSlow
9th Jun 2006, 09:40
You could always fly the Airvan to the UK, strip down the J1, stuff it in the back of the AirTransit, er AirVan, and whizz it back to Oz :ok:

PS, will there be a smaller version of the AirVan? Like an AirUte or similar?

GK430
9th Jun 2006, 10:39
Is there an Airvan operating out of somewhere near South Marston, Swindon in the U.K. ? Saw one that looked like it down at low level in that area.

turnarounds
9th Jun 2006, 11:31
You poms ........ hou have no idea!

Just cut the roof off an Airvan behind the cockpit and you have an AirUte!

Plenty of them modified down here used for carting hay, fenceposts, sheep etc.

Also available in tray back and dual cab combinations.

ozzieausterdriver
9th Jun 2006, 11:48
GK,

Yes there are 4 GA-8 Airvans in the u

ozzieausterdriver
9th Jun 2006, 11:53
Sorry got cut off in the last post. Yes there are 4 Airvans in the UK and 1 is used at Redlands for Para dropping I believe. Turnaround is right, the airvan is a ute/tray all in one. MV I have 2 of my own Austers here which were shipped from pomme land and I am about to buy a third from Townsville in Queensland to make the fleet complete.

Check out the pics!!! http://www.geocities.com/mojounwin/auster

GK430
9th Jun 2006, 13:28
I might be over here, but my passport says I have as much right to be down there (On North, South & West islands). Hence, I know a plane from Gippsland when I see one:D
P.S. There's even a Holden UTE round here:{

camlobe
10th Jun 2006, 16:25
Had G-VANB up here yesterday. Local guy, thinking about parting with a wad, teed-up a flight.

Had a look around first with my engineers head on. Well impressed. Only a couple of external issues not completely happy about. Aileron mass balance bolt heads very close to wingtip. Elevator primary stop hoops taking the paint off the elevator horns already. OK, I know these are trivial points, but still formed part of my initial impressions. Overall, it is quite noticible that there has been some quality input from maintenance engineers into many areas of the design, both inside and out. This has to be a good thing from the owner/operators viewpoint.

Got dragged along for the flight (kicking and screaming, of course), so put my pilots head on. Can't describe just how impressed I was by this aircraft. Noise levels supprisingly low. No vibs. The ability to take off with full flaps!!! Very benign stall with only about 100 ft loss. Superb response from the controls and the 300 hp engine. Great visability from every seat, but most especially the front two. Very impressive gear that looks as if it would soak up a boulder field without working hard. Like most aircraft with a wide C of G range, lots of trimming required, and the all-moving tailplane trimmer is low geared.

Round the corner is a turbocharged version, closely followed by a turboprop version.

This aircraft is not a C208, nor does it pretend to be. What it most definately is, however, is an equally capable rough-strip, load lugger where you don't need an aircraft as big as the Caravan.

My humble opinion, for what it's worth, is that Gippsland have got this one just about as right as you could hope for. Nice one guys.

camlobe

GK430
10th Jun 2006, 22:09
You're not wrong ozzieausterdriver:D
G-VANB is getting around - are all the other ones over here plain white?
Maybe I'll see another at Avalon in march;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/Emirates/G-VANB.jpg

ozzieausterdriver
11th Jun 2006, 10:08
GK430,

I have just sold G- VANB to Holland all being well. That means another will be on its way to the UK in September. Yes you will see Airvans at Avalon next year, as we are intending to take at least 2. All the UK Airvans are currently white. The Broome trip is about to start!!!!!!!!!

Watch this space.-------!

gcolyer
12th Jun 2006, 13:05
I flew in to Peterlee a few months back and they have two GA8's for parachute dropping. I was impressed how quickj the aircraft gets off the ground and how steep it can climb.

ozzieausterdriver
14th Jun 2006, 12:50
Well folks it has begun. We left LTV on tuesday the 13th June at 12.30 local. It was 10 0 c and overcast at 3,000 feet. Our first port of call was to be Horsham for fuel. This is a bout 2.5 hours from LTV and the weather is always better than the home base. We land at Horsham at 15.30 and after a quick re-fuel are off to Adelaide for the night which is another 2 hours away. We make a quick call to confirm last light and off we go! We arrive at 17.20 and to our suprise its still fairly light, then realised the time is 1/2 hour behind Melbourne. Anyway after securing the aircraft for the night we head off to town for a dinner and flight plan for the next leg, which takes us towards Flinders range! Pics to follow soon.

ozzieausterdriver
16th Jun 2006, 10:59
Hi Folks,

I need some help here. I have a large quantity of very good Iphotos of this trip, but have spent hours tryIng to work out how the pprune system will let me print them. I feel this trip is better explained in a few pictres rather than a thousand words. Can anyone give me a clue how this can be done. I normally cut and paste such things without any issue?????

ozzieausterdriver
22nd Jun 2006, 13:23
Sorry for the delay been hoping to post some pics. Anyway after a good night in Adelaide we set course for Port Pirie which is 100 nautical to the north of Parafield. The route, which is along the coast has to be carried out at 1,000 feet agl, what a bummer i hear you cry! Port Pirie has to go down as the most friendly and helpful place in these parts. The airfield manager Steve Joyce was so helpful and enthusiastic about his little airfield. A definate for an overnight stop! The weather was a major plus for us pomme's as it stayed 20 degrees all afternoon and was a delight to see the sun go down. Next day dawned beautiful again and we set course for Ceduna which is gateway to the Nullabor desert, fantastic views which i wish i could post here. The flight was just under 3 hours and cruising altitude planned at FL65 which was in fact a perfect temp for all the family. After a quick fuel stop in Ceduna we set course for the ''best bit'' which I can only describe as fantastic, this being a place called Forrest which can only be described as an airfield in the desert with only 2 inhabitants for hundreds of K's. It has a museum and a small resort originally lived in by rail workers in years gone by. The main link between Adelaide and Perth is a rail line which is so straight you can see it 50 miles in the distance. Forrest Airport sits 200 metres from this line and the managers recieve provisions from Kalgoorlie every week. This order is normally made via fax and includes the ''grog'' essential to maintain sanity.

We certainly could have not been made more comfortable by the couple who ran this place. I understand the managers have a years contract, which Im assured is enough on your own in the desert. We visited the museum just as the sun fell away and took yet more fantastic pictures.
The temperatures were dropping from +22 0c to -1 at night when we arrived. I then understood the need for the electric blankets under the sheets when after having a very tasty home cooked meal in the managers house departed the 30 metres in the dark to our room. It was about 10pm and a star filled evening if a chilly 1 oC. We awoke at 5 am to the sound of a twin in the overhead, which was dropping in for fuel on route to Adelaide. This was the norm for Paul and Suzzi as managers of this palce, its more like a small community all of ther own here. We later met some people in Perth who asked if we had been to see paul and suzzi, big country yet small world even in oz.

Today was the final leg to reach WA as its known here. This was another 3 hour flight on a heading of 270 or if the GPS and compass died IFR which of course means I follow Railway lines and this was too easy as it was straight for nearly 600 k's. The occasional car was seen and a train with about 3 million carriages attached behind it including new cars and tractors. We followed this for nearly 30 mins before it slipped out of sight.
Half an hour later we saw another huge train going east and thought for a moment ''grog'' for paul and suzzi.

We arrived in Kalgoorlie around 11.30 local just behind a citation jet. Amazing how when a large airfield with terminal and customs etc can have a ''blind call'' system and it work so well. The GA parking area was deserted and the Aeroclub was locked so we made some calls and met a very nice chap who flew Cessna 402's and who coincidently came from Gippsland. Our aim here was to get as much exposure of ther GA-8 as possible including any demos as required. This was proving to be a bit difficult as most operators used fast twins with such distances involved i could see why. We called a nice young chap who runs a ''dog baiting'' business on the coast south of Kalgoorlie and who was keen to see and try the delights of this new'' dog baiting'' carriage. A quick 50 min flight and we were on the coast landing on a gravel strip next to the town, very picturesque scene indeed. Sam and 'dad'' were pleased to sample the short field and ''dog baiting'' abilities and we left feeling we had at least left the right impression. More of the whale spotting soon!!!!!

GK430
23rd Jun 2006, 07:44
You need to set up an album in an online supplier.
Try www.photobucket.com

Copy the url from the webbased album and on the pprune reply thread box, click on the icon that looks like a yellow envelope with a stamp - beneath the forward arrow. A box will appear - top screen left - paste there.

Look forward to seeing your pics:ok:

ozzieausterdriver
23rd Jun 2006, 14:08
Try this folks.

http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/austermofo/

T10
24th Jun 2006, 07:59
Hello Chris
Glad to hear your trip is going well and nice pics, must book my flight!
TRA thingy still not decide :ugh: OI off up north very soon
Regards to Marge and Evra

ozzieausterdriver
24th Jun 2006, 10:55
Hi Everyone,

Latest pics including last night when we flew to an airstrip 50 miles from the coast of Geralldton to collect a fisherman whose wife had gone into labour. The island has an airstrip 450 metres long and very rough. What a flight including seeing coral reefs.

Text story later tonight after a fuel/food stop. We are currently in Carnarvon which is north of Gerrladton by 200 nautical miles.

CH

ozzieausterdriver
27th Jun 2006, 14:34
Back on channel at last. Well I am writing this report from my hotel room in Derby having arrived at my destination. This trip has been a fantastic experience and will remain with me forever. The last time i wrote was just as we were on route to Albany, which was a 2.5 hour flight from Esperance. Havin left the father and son team we decided to fly along the coast at a ''legal level'' if you follow! After an hour we spotted 4 whales parked in a cove only metres from the shore, what a sight if you have never seen such things. Albany was a very pleasent place and we caught up with our man for a demo which lasted 30 mins, another happy punter if only a lack of funds.Our next legs were to take us up to Margaret River, Bussleton, Bunbury and finally Jandakot in Perth. This leg saw a front moving in from the southwest and a timely stopover in Bunbury to let the storm pass, which took 2 days in the end. A few more demo's and we were now in Perth at the famous training ground of Jandakot. Umm not for me I have to say, but very nic all the same. I guess we had got used to the desert and its ''atmosphere'', however we found Perth very impressive as a city. A nice boat trip and a good meal and we were ready for the sack. We were joined at this stage by ''the boss'' from Melbourne who wanted to complete the last leg to Broome and Derby with us as a part of the handover of the aircraft and see WA for himself. We enjoyed yet more supurb weather for the next legs which were on average 300 miles each. The first night saw us in Carnarvon, which I have to say isnt unlike the UK with its sea side airfield. Carnarvon to Karratha tomorrow we told ourselves, this being nearly 400 miles and a slight head wind forcast, along with uninhabited terrain, nice thought. Temp was 30 degrees C and we climbed until the cabin was a nice even 18 degrees and shuffled north east for Karratha at 109 knots over the ground! Finally we arrive and step outdide into a humid 32 degrees heat on the apron, wow it was hot. Quick fuel up and we get moving for Port Hedland, 100 nautical north east, which thankfully is only 1.5 hours away. The trip was conducted at 5500 feet in a vain attempt to keep the pax happy, and nearly worked until the descent.

Next day we look at the chart and see the journey is nearly at an end, with only 264 miles to Broome and 88 after that for Drby, the new home to GA-8 Airvan no 092. A sadness fell, upon us as we had had nealry 3 weeks with this aircraft and many new friends made along with faultless reliability. One gets to be part of these aircraft after a while and this was no exception. The next leg is better seen in the pic update as im not good enough to express the reality of what a country this is! Please feel free to contact me if interested in the DVD which i will make on my return home to Melbourne as i will be pleased to send anyone a copy. This will be made as a slide show and cover the whole trip.

Thanks to everyone for looking! P.s I am off tomorrow to fly an Otter on floats over the islands near Derby.

Best regards CH

ozzieausterdriver
28th Jun 2006, 02:08
For those interested in float planes take a look at the pics taken this morning. We left Derby at 5.30 for a 2 hour flight and boat trip. Very impressive flying in a turbine single otter!

GK430
28th Jun 2006, 14:06
Got a spare seat - or are you happy to make us all :ooh:

Hairyplane
29th Jun 2006, 11:06
Hi CH, nice to hear that you'r enjoying yourself down under.

Off to Old Warden this pm to start final assy of our Fokker DR1 replica.

Heli GR8 fun.

Hope the family is well.

VBR

HP

ozzieausterdriver
30th Jun 2006, 00:56
HP and GK430,

Thanks for the replies. Nice to hear from you Peter and yes family all doing very nicely ! GK430 the chance of this was pure luck and even if you have to pay $350 its worth it!! Thanks for looking and enjoy your flying....!

CH

LowNSlow
30th Jun 2006, 10:31
Chris,

Great pics mate, flying around Grafton Water will never look the same again!

Just to keep you up to speed on the Auster front, the Bakers have withdrawn their application to be the TRA. A PFA Permit for the Austers is looking like a greater possibility now.

skyjock200
30th Jun 2006, 14:50
CH,

If the pictures of OZ look that good i will have to get myself down under to see for myself.

I was speaking to George and Neil at Aero-Expo last weekend together with G-VANB

ozzieausterdriver
30th Jun 2006, 23:47
Skyjock,

The pics dont do it justice mate, it looks far better in the flesh.
42.5 hours of blue sky and sunshine was a real chore as you will know flying in the UK!!!!!!

LNS. great news on the auster front... at last common sense is sinking in then??

Many thanks to everyone for the PMs of support for the trip, pleased to share the joys of oz flying with you all.

I cant believe my wife has got to do the trip all over again next tuesday delivering yet another GA-8 to Gerrladton near Perth!

CH

T10
1st Jul 2006, 21:11
Chris
Letting Marge out on her own?
Looking at dates as we speak, I need a break Mr Mofo

ozzieausterdriver
4th Jul 2006, 03:56
Hi Folks,

Just as a side line please take a look at Forrest website in the Nullabor where we stayed en route. The site has pics of visitors and a history aspect. Its very good!

www.forrestairport.com.au (http://www.forrestairport.com.au)