PDA

View Full Version : Ejection seat video sequence

hippocrates
9th Jun 2006, 08:42
First post.........be gentle with me.
I am an Orthopaedic doc working at QMC Nottingham. We are currently preparing some work looking at ejection seat injuries. We need a short video clip of an ejection seat sequence for a presentation next week.
Spoken to Henlow who do not have anything for us to use.
I wonder if anybody out there could provide a clip or a link
Cheers

missioncontrol
9th Jun 2006, 08:48
Try looking on the site:

www.ejectionsite.com

There are a couple of clips you can download if I recall correctly. One of them is the in cockpit video taken from the Thunderbirds F-16 which crashed at an airshow a couple of years ago.

Hope this helps.

Gainesy
9th Jun 2006, 08:58
Try Martin-Baker, they make the seats: 01895-832214.

airborne_artist
9th Jun 2006, 09:14
Chalgrove Airfield
Chalgrove
Oxfordshire
OX44 7RJ
Tel: 01865 892200

Test Pilot / Site Manager
Captain Bob Thompson [email protected]

Bob is your man - he has all the company's films, pictures etc transferred onto digital. Does a very good presentation with all the best clips included. I think he only works Tues/Weds/Thurs, so email him.

Or try [email protected] - he's bound to have something.

SkyHawk-N
9th Jun 2006, 09:26
Maybe a bit off topic but I received a sequence of pictures this week that may be of interest....

http://www.csharpprogrammer.com/pictures/f8carrier/f8crash.html

Here is the text to go with the pictures ....

WHY NAVY PILOTS GET FLIGHT PAY

Check this sequence, with a landing speed of about 125Kts (140MPH) from touch down to ejection is about 3 seconds, traveling at over 200 ft/sec. All the pilot had to do in this 3 seconds was see the fire, realize he had flamed out (no power), let go of the controls and reach for the face curtain and pull it 18" to fire the seat. No telling what he did in his spare time.

This occurred on the aircraft carrier, FDR south of the Dominican Republic.The aircraft was an F8U-1 assigned to VF-11, and piloted by Ltjg. Terry Kryway.

Ripper Jim Roberts: I recall it clearly, having flown that same day. The state of the sea was really crappy, and when Terry made his landing, I was in the ready room watching his landing on the PLAT. It could have happened to any of us flying the Crusader aboard the Roosevelt that day. The deck was moving all over the place, and with only a 12 foot hook-to-ramp clearance, there was NO room for error coming aboard. Thus, but for the grace of God, any of us could have taken the same ride. ........ I think it should also be pointed out that Terry was and is an outstanding pilot. He was a member of the flight demo team, and that single event should not detract from our view of his piloting ability.

The aircraft hit hard on the stbd main mount and broke off the wheel. The wheel bounced up into the wheel well and ruptured the main fuel line, which is the cloud of fuel you see in the first picture. Take a look.

The scraping of the bare main strut pulled the nose to the right, imposing an asymnmetrical load on the tailhook, ripping it out (movies from the starboard quarter showed this). The fuel caught fire, and the rest is as you see it.

The movies showed a 5-foot diameter vapor donut for an instant just in front of the intake at the moment the engine flamed out. Terry cobbed the throttle and felt nothing so he "read the instructions"* as the nose passed over the end of the angle.

*"Reading the instructions" is an euphemism for pulling the face curtain to fire the ejection seat There are no instructions printed there, but if there were, one could read them.... if you read really fast.

You can see him reaching for the curtain.

Look Maw, no chute! We didn't have 0/0 (Zero altitude, Zero speed) ejection seats in those days and his chute did not have time to fully deploy. He got a small abrasion on his neck from his harness -- and was wet, but that was all. Whew.

jimgriff
9th Jun 2006, 12:58
Hippocrates:
Give me a bell if you dont get any luck from Bob.
Check your PM's

Jimgriff

Skunkerama
9th Jun 2006, 13:43
Was having a look on that site when I found this.
http://www.ejectionsite.com/eunderh2o.htm

What an amazing story.

WhiteOvies
9th Jun 2006, 14:47
A GR7 went into the drink whilst doing a CVS landing a few years ago. Remember seeing the wingmans HUD video on a flight safety course once. No ejection seen but pilot apparently found himself bobbing around in the water afterwards with no memory of what happened. The suggestion was that he too had ejected under water. :\
Happy to be corrected if anyone knows more.

lindslow
9th Jun 2006, 18:31
Good stuff Jim! Anything on the 4P seat?:rolleyes:

18greens
9th Jun 2006, 19:11
I don't know if its what you want but 'Behind enemy lines ' has a Hollywood ejection sequence from an F something (16?18?). Looked great on telly, showed the seat locks undoing etc etc...

Bo Nalls
9th Jun 2006, 19:28
http://www.ejectionsite.com/oveject1.gif

From http://www.ejectionsite.com/

This site also has some good gen (http://www.brooks.af.mil/af/files/fsguide/HTML/Chapter_17.html), including possible injuries caused by an ejection

hippocrates
9th Jun 2006, 20:06
Thanks for information all very helpfull. I will be sending e mails over the weekend!