PDA

View Full Version : World's funniest procedures in aviation

Charly
8th Jun 2006, 22:23
I'll start it of with this one:

Airport NRT:

In Tokyo you have to land with Flaps 25 due to noise BUT have to drop the gear before crossing the shoreline (more than 10 miles out!).
Reason was pieces of ice dropping from the sky and destroing roof tops :hmm:

pilotho
8th Jun 2006, 23:27
i heard about that off an aviation dvd. i think it was a world air routes one, u 2 i guess?

more cool than funny would be the kai tak IGS approach for 13. i so wish i had a camera when i used to live there. i remmeber seeing into people's houses as we approach to land

HotDog
9th Jun 2006, 01:48
i remmeber seeing into people's houses as we approach to land

I presume you are talking about making the approach in your Cessna 152? There was not too much time to look into people's houses approaching in a jet.

BEagle
9th Jun 2006, 06:42
Some years ago a crew was cleared to turn on course on reaching the Aloha Tower in Honolulu. A well-known landmark on the waterfront.

Not that well known for this crew though. To make it worse, they'd seen 'Honolulu Airport - Aloha' in big letters on the ATC control tower.....

Sooo, after getting airborne they proceeded as 'cleared' - and wired the tower at low level in their bellowing old 4-prop!

sgt_pepper
9th Jun 2006, 07:04
... There are several airports in Europe where reverse thrust is not permited because of noise restrictions. However, during the same period of time an aircraft can use maximum thrust for takeoff.:rolleyes:

atakacs
9th Jun 2006, 13:52
Well, there are other means to slow down an aircraft but hardly to get airborne... ;)

sgt_pepper
9th Jun 2006, 14:18
Well, there are other means to slow down an aircraft but hardly to get airborne... ;)
Well, I think we are talking about noise not operating procedures ...

pilotho
9th Jun 2006, 20:32
I presume you are talking about making the approach in your Cessna 152? There was not too much time to look into people's houses approaching in a jet.

it was a blur but definetly could have looked into people's windows! definetly wouldnt have liked to do the approach with the 152 with 747s bearing down on me.

come to think of it, there was probabily enough distance for a straight in final in a 152

Flash2001
9th Jun 2006, 22:21
Been asked to report "The tunnel" departing YUL VFR. Replied "XXX not equipped with road map."
After an excellent landing you can use the airplane again!

HotDog
10th Jun 2006, 03:07
definetly wouldnt have liked to do the approach with the 152 with 747s bearing down on me.

Pilotho, if you got your PPL in Hong Kong, you would have mixed it ( not at the same time ) with 747s, L1011s, DC-10s etc. at kai Tak. The Hong Kong Aviation Club was resident at Kai Tak Airport on the perimeter, almost abeam RW13 TDZ. It is now at Sek Kong in the New Territories at the PLA helicopter base with much restricted operational capabilities. The old Aviation club house , bar and restaurant is still in business at the Kai Tak site.

sinala1
10th Jun 2006, 05:22
World's funniest procedures in aviation
How about the security processes flight crews have to go through on a daily basis - removing nail files etc, neglecting the fact there is numerous other implements readily available onboard :hmm:

Of course though, this is an argument that will go on forever :ugh:

Why is it funny? I meant funny a'la Ralph Wiggum - "its still funny, but not ha-ha funny"

Charly
10th Jun 2006, 10:53
i heard about that off an aviation dvd. i think it was a world air routes one, u 2 i guess?

I sometimes have NRT in my roster, and had to do this gear down thing a couple of times already, it physicaly hurts me every time to drop the gear that far out.

Fright Level
10th Jun 2006, 11:19
I've never understood the NRT gear down procedure. Probably invented by a jobsworth after there was an incident of ice damage, but clearly the person setting the rule has no idea about trajectories. Procedure calls for gear down at the coast line 12 miles out. How far would a block of ice travel if thrown forward at 200 knots from 3,500 feet?

pilotho
10th Jun 2006, 11:21
so hotdog, does that mean students have to do the checkerboard approach on their training?

or could they like i said just do a final straight in approach

Hotel Mode
10th Jun 2006, 11:25
Look on the bright side at least NRT dont require the gear down over the coast when they're landing 16 :8 Arent the people on the 16 approach rich/powerful enough?

HowlingWind
10th Jun 2006, 12:06
WRT the NRT gear down procedure, the "official" reason may be due to "ice", but one seems to recall that once upon a time a frozen stowaway in the wheelwell was dropped onto a neighbourhood rooftop after the gear was lowered. The unexpected and unnannounced introduction of a "foreign body" was not received well by the populace, and afterwards measures were taken to try to ensure such incidents would not be readily noticed by the public. Much less paperwork that way, without a doubt. :cool:

Of course, one's memory is getting faulty, so one is standing by in flame-ready suit for suitable corrections... :p

vagabond 47
10th Jun 2006, 12:35
Recall decades ago being asked by Cairns Approach......"are you familiar with Yorkeys Knob"...........a little presumptious?

OZAZTEC
10th Jun 2006, 22:52
Pilotho,

The join for 13 in a lightie was a right base if coming down the harbour from Central or a "circuit" over taxiways D1/D2/D3 east of the runway. No checkerboard approach as I remember but still great fun and spectacular from a C152 Aerobat.

A terrible loss!

Paul

Few Cloudy
11th Jun 2006, 07:53
Pinch of salt is required at NRT I reckon.

Do they have reporters all along the centreline looking when the gear comes down?

HotDog
11th Jun 2006, 08:24
pilotho, you could do whatever you requested from the tower, traffic permitting. If you want to look at the RW13 IGS approach plate, you can find it here: http://www.vatroc.org/english/charts/vhhh/VHXX.pdf

BalusKaptan
11th Jun 2006, 09:00
Few Cloudy,

Yes they certainly do watch. Believe it or not when the weather permits a little honorable Japanese gent watchs with binoculars each arrival on 34 to check the dunlops are out at the appropriate point.....I'm not kidding, been operating in there for over 15 years.

TrafficTraffic
11th Jun 2006, 23:46
Yes they certainly do watch. Believe it or not when the weather permits a little honorable Japanese gent watchs with binoculars each arrival on 34 to check the dunlops are out at the appropriate point.....I'm not kidding, been operating in there for over 15 years.
Cool - sort like a paid spotter, I wonder what the job description would be?
:ugh:
TT

Slavedriver
12th Jun 2006, 00:42
"The Iceman" should do

ICT_SLB
12th Jun 2006, 03:06
The Checkerboard approach to Kai Tak is not dead. Last time I was there, CAE's Sim theatre at the Canadian National Aircraft Museum at Rockcliffe featured flying straight towards the red & white marker followed by a turn onto runway heading, landing and taxi up to the gate. Pretty impressive!

hikoushi
24th Jun 2006, 21:16
Some years ago a crew was cleared to turn on course on reaching the Aloha Tower in Honolulu. A well-known landmark on the waterfront.

Not that well known for this crew though. To make it worse, they'd seen 'Honolulu Airport - Aloha' in big letters on the ATC control tower.....

Sooo, after getting airborne they proceeded as 'cleared' - and wired the tower at low level in their bellowing old 4-prop!

Was that a C-130 of the Thai Air Force, perhaps?

Chimbu chuckles
25th Jun 2006, 14:53
That'd be like the asian cadets at Bankstown many, 20+, years ago doing a solo training nav through YSSY.

On being cleared for takeoff "Track direct bankstown 1500', rwy 16 cleared for takeoff" or words similar they proceeded to turn to a heading approximating direct YSBK and takeoff across the grass.

Alledgedly:ok:

PPRuNe Pop
25th Jun 2006, 19:21
This thread is neither history nor nostalgia. I will leave it for a moment and then decide where it can go.

PPP