PDA

View Full Version : paying for PPL courses abroad?

stug
8th Jun 2006, 18:52
What is the safest way of paying for PPL courses in the US? How is payment normaly dealt with?

I would really apreciate your views as i dont want to get caught out. Im looking at going with OFT if anyone knows how they handle things?
I have emailed them about this and i am awaiting a response but would like to hear from you guys :)

Thanks in advance

stug

Whirlygig
8th Jun 2006, 19:12
I would have thought a UK VISA card would be best; I'm not sure Mastercard is so widely accepted. Make sure it is a VISA card that can offer some insurance and check the package offered. Also, some credit cards offer better exchange rates.

Cheers

Whirls

Gertrude the Wombat
8th Jun 2006, 19:20
The safest way to pay for a course in the US is the same way that's safest paying for a course anywhere else in the world - there's nothing special about the US in this regard.

Each time you fly, you pay for that lesson after you land.

Any other means of payment (other than paying for the whole lot at the end of the course, of course, as I did once in Canada) is clearly less safe.

stug
8th Jun 2006, 19:34
Thanks :) I just wanted to know if you could pay as you fly or if you were normaly expected to pay up front when doing an intensive course.

thanks again

Stug

stug
8th Jun 2006, 19:43
Just got this reply from OFT

"We require the remaining balance due for the JAA PPL upon arrival but or the Mod 1 course we allow 50 % due upon arrival and the remaining balance due on completion of your JAA PPL."

Thats minus the $500 deposit required to book.

any thoughts

Stug

Gertrude the Wombat
8th Jun 2006, 19:45
I wouldn't, given the number of stories we read here and elsewhere of schools that go bust having pocketed lots of students' money.

But others disagree ... see the several previous threads on this subject.